BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings Gents,

Just wanted to share a quick pictorial DIY on the installation of the aFe "OEM+" Super Stock Performance Intake System.

This package includes air scoops, "inverted" type drop in performance filters and new silicone intake tube couplers.

The process is simple and takes on average about 30 minutes.

We went with the Pro-Dry S filters. The reason was simple - no oiling kits to purchase, no risk of MAF contamination. These PDS filters simply require soap & water to clean.

I wish I was better with a camera...I apologize in advance for the so-so pics. In any event, this Beast is a 2006 Interlagos Blue with some very tastefully done mods as you can see.
I think we'll be doing a professional photoshoot in the near future, so stay tuned for that :D

Let's get started.

First step is to remove the front grilles. They're held in place by a few plastic clips that secure the grilles into the bumper/nose panel.

Be careful upon doing so as you don't want to break the relatively brittle clips that hold the grilles in place. I'd recommend taking a bit more time and separating the grilles into 2 pieces instead of attempting to remove the entire grille assembly as one piece, this minimizes the chances of breaking any clips.

Once you have the grilles removed, test fit the intake scoops. They should just slide right into place.

Secure the scoops using the supplied mounting hardware, it consists of a plastic bracket and some bolts.

Reinstall your grilles. They should just snap back into place as one piece.

Next step, remove the air box cover. They're held in place by a number of metal clips. BE CAREFUL not to drop these clips into the engine bay, otherwise you'll be fishing for them later....like we did. :hihi:

Unplug the air hose leading into the air box. You'll also want to unplug the MAF sensor.

Remove old filter (in this case, it was an oiled K&N)

View of the inside of the air box, notice how deep it recesses...I wonder, what's a good way to take advantage of all that extra space? :blink:

Drop in your new "inverted" performance air filter.

Loosen the clamps and remove the OEM ribbed intake tube couplers.

Notice how the new silicone intake tubes have a smooth inner lining compared to the ribbed OEM ones.
This helps to minimize turbulent air flow in the intake system.

Slide the new silicone intake tubes on.

Insert supplied mounting brackets.

Reinstall air box cover and tighten clamps.

Next, repeat on other side.

Finishing touch, apply aFe POWER sticker :D

Simple as that! Close the hood and take her for a test drive.

Comments, concerns and questions are welcome and appreciated. :cheers:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Did you test drive it? what are the outcomes? , honestly, please.
Any Dyno runs?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm curious also, a couple friends pitched in and got this as a birthday gift for me, lol, I have no idea what the real outcome of this product is, such as (loss of power or gains), please inform us!

Wonderful write up, I will use it on my install soon!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The car the install was performed on was actually the shop's owner, David. We haven't found a reliable source to do dyno testing in the Bay Area....yet.

We glossed on the idea of getting a dyno installed at his shop. Needless to say, I encouraged him to get one :D

Regardless I'll make sure to get his first impressions when I talk to David about an AA ECU tune tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I believe the AFE tube helps to avoid the air turbulence. it makes sense. I don't know why the factory uses those "Michelin guy" tubes on the M.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Miguex, I have the same mods you have (differnet EMS though) I am also interested in performance.

By the way, do any of you know where I can find the carbon fiber front lip like the one on the cas in the pics. I like that one!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts