BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know easy made a hole in edge protection. Parts#51727116403 and 51727116405.
You will spend over $250 if four edge protections replaced.

I found close size rubber foam tube by Mc MASTER-CARR.
McMaster-Carr
Weather-Resistant EPDM Foam Rubber OD5/8" ID7/16"

Remove existing rubber foam tube.

Paste new rubber foam tube by 3M black adhesive.

Don't forget to make a some little holes (about 1/8") for air release.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Nice. I need to replace the seals on my driver door. I may have to try this. Let me/us know how it holds up.

So you have to remove the whole edge protection strip from the door first? How hard is it to do that?

·
Registered
88 Posts
To remove edge protection/rubber grommet, just pull it hardly and you'll find out the rest. Only plastic part you need to remove before is lower plastic protection cover, the one close to M5 door strip.

Anyway, OE part costs ~60USD iirc and it's an easy job to do yourself, little tricky - but once you discover how to proper fit it on chassis, then it's easy and takes ~40 minutes to change both part with proper care.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I will definitely be doing this over the winter. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice. I need to replace the seals on my driver door. I may have to try this. Let me/us know how it holds up.

So you have to remove the whole edge protection strip from the door first? How hard is it to do that?
nice job! how long did it take for you to complete the job?
Take 40 to 60 min per edge w/o dry process.
REMOVE EDGE > CUT FOAM > PREP > ADHERE > DRY > RESTORE
Only dry process needs time but you can drive w/o edges.

I recommend an adhesion promoter use in prep process if you have.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Thanks again for the DIY!Did last week 3 of my doors,do the last one tomorrow!
I did not remove the whole unit from the body,found it quite easy to change the rubber that way!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks again for the DIY!Did last week 3 of my doors,do the last one tomorrow!
I did not remove the whole unit from the body,found it quite easy to change the rubber that way!
Vantaam, you're saying you used a box knife to cut the rubber while the entire piece was still attached to the car? And then just glued the new hose in place?

Does anyone have information on how well this fix holds up? I know Zill just did this a few weeks ago but even an update on how it looks/holds now would be helpful.

thanks,
Sean Paul

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Yep,I cut it on the car with a carpet knife and also glued it back there!Also use a weatherstrip adhesive.
Didn't do my last door today(rather repaired my headlight adjusters and changed the Xenon bulbs).
I take my camera along tomorrow and post some pics,if wished:cheers:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Nice...

wonder if I can do the same on my E34... they are all shot!!! worst thing is, they don't even stay on the chassis...

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Ok,here is a short update(sorry for the pics,used my mobile)

First cut away the old rubber

Then it looks like this(notice,only use the glue between the two lines where you cut it,oterwise it is visible!)

Drill about every 20cm holes in the rubber

Left old rubber,right new one

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
A few notes:
-if you don't remove the protection from the body,be careful that you don't scratch the paint with the knife
-for a front door about 4m rubber are needed,for a rear door about 3,5m
-I started from the bottom to attach it,then clockwise around and seperated the process in four parts
-be careful the glue line lines up with the wholes you drilled

This is how it looks like when it is done:

Sorry for hijacking your thread!:D

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
A few notes:
-if you don't remove the protection from the body,be careful that you don't scratch the paint with the knife
-for a front door about 4m rubber are needed,for a rear door about 3,5m
-I started from the bottom to attach it,then clockwise around and seperated the process in four parts
-be careful the glue line lines up with the wholes you drilled

This is how it looks like when it is done:

Sorry for hijacking your thread!:D
why did you drill the rubber?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts