BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
After several attempts to email Pixelfix.net in Hungary it appears that they may be out of business. I bought the ribbon cable from them and had no luck in installing it. I noticed latter that the ribbon had a tear in it that I most likely caused. I wanted to send them my entire cluster for repair but they never responded to my email. I will be exploring other more local options. Contact Pixelfix Ltd. - LCD display pixel repair ribbon - instrument cluster OBC

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Mine was repaired by VDO Repair many years ago. They even did some extra work at no charge. I know there are even more choices for the repair presently. You shouldn't have a problem finding someone.

·
Registered
38 Posts
●●●●●●●●;7440170 said:
After several attempts to email Pixelfix.net in Hungary it appears that they may be out of business. I bought the ribbon cable from them and had no luck in installing it. I noticed latter that the ribbon had a tear in it that I most likely caused. I wanted to send them my entire cluster for repair but they never responded to my email. I will be exploring other more local options. Contact Pixelfix Ltd. - LCD display pixel repair ribbon - instrument cluster OBC

I just got one of their kits and basically ruined my entire cluster in the process of install because it wasn't clear to me how to pry the needles off. That being said, I have a full kit including tools that I was going to return to them but if you'd like to buy it, post below (you won't be able to PM yet). I'll explain where I went wrong.

In the end, I sent my cluster to Fixels and should have it back tomorrow. The Fixels process is a lifetime fix because he updates the board so that the ribbon cable is actually secured with a connector instead of taped on which leads to the ribbon cable pulling away from the board and thus more dead pixels.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just got one of their kits and basically ruined my entire cluster in the process of install because it wasn't clear to me how to pry the needles off. That being said, I have a full kit including tools that I was going to return to them but if you'd like to buy it, post below (you won't be able to PM yet). I'll explain where I went wrong.

In the end, I sent my cluster to Fixels and should have it back tomorrow. The Fixels process is a lifetime fix because he updates the board so that the ribbon cable is actually secured with a connector instead of taped on which leads to the ribbon cable pulling away from the board and thus more dead pixels.
What instructions did you use to touch needles?
I don't think it calls for it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used the hole drilling technique and had not trouble with getting it all apart. I just couldn't get all of the pixels to light up after several attempts. Upon close inspection I discovered a very small tear in the ribbon that I assume I probably caused. I have been doing automotive electrical repairs and also repairing consumer electronics for the past 30 years so you would think I could have accomplished this. Oh well. Anyway the basic design idea of gluing the cable to the board is pretty weak from a durability standpoint. Hence the updated board design.

·
Registered
124 Posts
●●●●●●●●;7440266 said:
I used the hole drilling technique and had not trouble with getting it all apart. I just couldn't get all of the pixels to light up after several attempts. Upon close inspection I discovered a very small tear in the ribbon that I assume I probably caused. I have been doing automotive electrical repairs and also repairing consumer electronics for the past 30 years so you would think I could have accomplished this. Oh well. Anyway the basic design idea of gluing the cable to the board is pretty weak from a durability standpoint. Hence the updated board design.
I got an extra ribbon if you want to try again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What instructions did you use to touch needles?
I don't think it calls for it.

Their instructions tell you to take the included tool and hold the motor shaft with it while prying the needles off but it doesn't explain the way to use the tool so I pulled the shafts out of the motors and ruined them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Their instructions tell you to take the included tool and hold the motor shaft with it while prying the needles off but it doesn't explain the way to use the tool so I pulled the shafts out of the motors and ruined them.
Don't use theirs. I'm pretty sure it's not for an m5. Use the one on this board.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts