41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Great write up, I have to do this as well... :(

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I'm attempting this DIY right now and so far so good. Worked out prying the cluster apart where I got stuck. Just had to figure out proper leverage points.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I used a dremmel tool instead of a drill. easier to handle, easier to slot a hole sideways when not exactly above the screw...
I'm now at the re-assembly step !

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have to report succes !

The strip I received had a light adhesive to it, just enough to maintain it at it's proper location for re-assembly.
The plastic housing did crack and separate on one of the side at the 3 "pins" area.

One thing I would like to add if anyone reads the guide up to here:
The clips that holds the back-cover to the 3 connectors: there is 4 per connectors
one at each ends of the shorter sides. Just sliding parts of the proper thickness part will release them.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
hey joeywx did you solder the ribbon cable to the lcd and board? or did you just put something under the connection?
Oh hell no don't do that! It should have a sticker side that connects. Then the silicone/rubber strips apply pressure once installed. You should not have to solder anything!

The key is adding thick laminate paper under the silicone inserts to apply more pressure to the ribbon resulting in bright and even pixels on display.

What instructions do you have that tells you to solder? You'll ruin your cluster if you do that.
you dont actually solder the pieces you heat them with a t-tip that has a rubber end more like ironing the ribbon on to the lcd and board. but if you can do it without then it seems safer for the ribbon and components. thanks for the info.
Yeah no heating needed either. Where are you getting this rationale? :confused3 Whatever. Unsubscribed. Don't want to argue with stupid posts.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I'm on my second day trying to do this, and I can't the [email protected]#king cross things to budge! I tried almost everything I can think of, I can't get it to open!!
And I don't want to damage anything in case I end up shipping it out for repair and get some bullsh!t about "we have to charge $xx.xx because it's been opened before" grrrrrrr

·
Registered
93 Posts
Just did this today, cost me the equivalent of $27, I have owned the car since 2010 and it has never worked, now finally it does.

The hardest and annoying part for me was getting the front black plastic shroud off the instrument cluster, what a pain that was!!! Half way through I wish I'd never started, but its done now and I'm glad its fixed.

·
Registered
873 Posts
reviving old thread. Does anyone have pictures of before and after so I can make sure this is the issue with my pixels?
It's super common, and yes it's your issue. This is 1 instance I personally wouldn't DIY. Unless this type of thing is in your wheelhouse, I'd recommend you contact @blackknight530i. His work is well respected. Check him out here- http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/parts-other-sale-wanted/449865-e39-m5-clusters-pixels-fixed-0-miles-coded-your-car.html

Before and After pic from link in first post of this thread.
IMG_5532.PNG

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's super common, and yes it's your issue. This is 1 instance I personally wouldn't DIY. Unless this type of thing is in your wheelhouse, I'd recommend you contact @blackknight530i. His work is well respected. Check him out here- http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/parts-other-sale-wanted/449865-e39-m5-clusters-pixels-fixed-0-miles-coded-your-car.html

Before and After pic from link in first post of this thread.
View attachment 819817
I appreciate the response but I think I can handle this. After reading the whole thread, patience is key. I just now have to find the right part.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Unfortunately that link no longer works. Does anyone know a source for the latest and greatest parts to do this pixel repair? Seems like replacing those silicone pressure pads would be good but I have not seen those for sale anywhere. Thank you.

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
That link looks good - I notice that the cable is the silver one, which sounds like the way to go. I'm not sure I understand the need for the special soldering iron. It seems like some ribbon cables need that and some don't. Does anyone out there know the latest and greatest repair method on this? It seems like it may have evolved since this thread started.

Thank you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That link looks good - I notice that the cable is the silver one, which sounds like the way to go. I'm not sure I understand the need for the special soldering iron. It seems like some ribbon cables need that and some don't. Does anyone out there know the latest and greatest repair method on this? It seems like it may have evolved since this thread started.

Thank you.
I believe this is still the best route if you want to DIY. This does not need soldering.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Unfortunately that link no longer works. Does anyone know a source for the latest and greatest parts to do this pixel repair? Seems like replacing those silicone pressure pads would be good but I have not seen those for sale anywhere. Thank you.
Works fine with my computer.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts