BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
hey guys

i'm looking to fix my cluster now. (killer write up Burnout 187) i just wanted to know how your clusters are holding up after the repairs? joeywx has there been any issues with the ribbon cable you got from ebay?

thanks

·
Registered
798 Posts
hey guys

i'm looking to fix my cluster now. (killer write up Burnout 187) i just wanted to know how your clusters are holding up after the repairs? joeywx has there been any issues with the ribbon cable you got from ebay?

thanks
Nope. Perfect pixels.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Great instructions. Just subscribing to thread as this is on my list.

CHECK BRAI E L N GS - I am missing a few pixels myself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
lcd

done mine not easy last job put the lcd screen back on CRACKED LSD when clipping it back in so sod it sent to the guy who sent me the ribbin real helpful guy now sending him the whole cluster waiting now for it to come back and he is going to make sure all works perfect before sending it back to me just have to pay p p both ways and pay for the lcd and that is 45euro.

·
Registered
798 Posts
hey joeywx did you solder the ribbon cable to the lcd and board? or did you just put something under the connection?
Oh hell no don't do that! It should have a sticker side that connects. Then the silicone/rubber strips apply pressure once installed. You should not have to solder anything!

The key is adding thick laminate paper under the silicone inserts to apply more pressure to the ribbon resulting in bright and even pixels on display.

What instructions do you have that tells you to solder? You'll ruin your cluster if you do that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
you dont actually solder the pieces you heat them with a t-tip that has a rubber end more like ironing the ribbon on to the lcd and board. but if you can do it without then it seems safer for the ribbon and components. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
hey guys

thanks
Hi, i still have all the pixels. :)

No soldering needed not at all its all bs!

·
Registered
798 Posts
you dont actually solder the pieces you heat them with a t-tip that has a rubber end more like ironing the ribbon on to the lcd and board. but if you can do it without then it seems safer for the ribbon and components. thanks for the info.
Yeah no heating needed either. Where are you getting this rationale? :confused3 Whatever. Unsubscribed. Don't want to argue with stupid posts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Nice

OP followed the exact same procedure I used when I did my pixels last year. Great pic's.

The hardest parts are:

- drilling the holes to access the screws (man was I sweating)
- installing the new ribbon (this took me about 8 attempts, I had noone else to help me so I ended up using duct tape and many minor adjustments)
- my screws on the plastic LCD surround stripped and I needed to buy some tiny nuts and bolts to replace them.

It took me about 5 or 6 hours to do (most of the last 2 or 3 hours were trying to fit the new ribbon cable properly), it's painstaking work - especially if you do it with only two hands!

Edit: I didn't use any special tools. I constructed my own plastic 'tabs' out of some hard plastic packaging and a handy pair of scissors. Then I just slotted them in each of the slots and pulled it outer case off in one go.

·
Registered
185 Posts
wow whos arguing. just trying to get all the info before i open up my cluster. as some of the sites for cluster pixel fixes say you need to buy this tool. http://bimmer.netne.net/ribbonrepair/ in the last set of pictures.
Mate, that tool is a teflon tip for a soldering iron. They aren't super easy to buy and unless you actually solder the ribbon to the board you don't need it.

If you do solder the ribbon, I would advise getting one and practising first!

FYI I didn't solder it, I just cleaned the contacts carefully with Electrical Contact Cleaner and reassembled, with the extra padding under the silicon pads to help exert more pressure on the ribbon.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've had my ribbon sitting here for almost a year. I guess it's time to open her up...... the soldering issue is why I never opened it up.
Glad to know it isn't necessary. I'm not missing many pixels. I'm wondering if just the extra pressure strip would fix the few that are out?
Maybe the ribbon isn't even necessary.

Thanks for the write up and clearing up many questions I had.

:cheers:

·
Registered
103 Posts
The original seller don't have any anymore, but other sellers do.

Any have experience with Bimmerautocare ? interfuse-motors? germanaudiotech ? bavarianmotorhaus ?

21 - 40 of 70 Posts