BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have at board couple diy:s but no pictures incluted. So i write now "my version" how to repair pixel issue.
During the project you will have to be very careful and patient. New cluster isnt so cheap!!!!
You can do this alone but it is really difficult beacause sometimes you need 6 hands at the same time :biggrinbounce:
So if you are doing this first time, ask your friend to help.
You need new ribbon cable. I purchased mine from Ribbontrade Ltd LCD pixel failure repair for BMW instrument cluster, MID radio & OBC unit.

Well, when cluster is on table open clamps and put zip ties throught them (helps you at next step)

Now you have to open pins(5pcs) that you will get back cover away. Start from side. I lifted with screwdriver the cover while turning pins.
(No zipties in picture but they are in)

When back cover is away you can lift allso front cover away. Put front cover somewhere that dust wont fall in.
After that put zip ties to the clamps so that they are "unlocked". Unscrew 8 torx screws.

Now you have unlock wire connectors. You have to push connector locking clamps against connector and push sligtly connector allso at same time. It should slide out. I started with black connector. Remember that you have to put something under the cluster that pins wont hit to the table. I used taperoll.

Here is connectors and you can see how those pins look.

Cluster in part.

Now the intresting part starts! DRILLING! Be really careful when you are drilling holes to cluster. You dont want drill througt cluster!
In this picture you see hole locations. Dont drill throught gray surface, you have to lift it!
PATIENCE! PATIENCE! PATIENCE!
I drilled first 2mm hole, then 3.5mm hole and finally 5mm hole. You have to drill 4 holes.

4 holes invidually.

After holes are drilled, take T8 torx screws out from holes. After that OBD panel is locked only with 6 pins. They are NOT soldered!
Here you can see 3 holes where pins are (Pic is after pins are pulled up with obd) 3 pins both sides. Left side is pretty tight but it comes out.

Rip ribbon cable away from cluster.

Take LCD panel frame away. You see from pic locking pin locations. DONT BRAKE LCD PANEL OR ITS GAME OVER!

Take ribbon cable away from LCD panel.

Now starts cleaning process. I uses piece of plastic (credit card etc) to get old stuff away.
LCD half way cleaned.

Cluster half way cleaned.

Cluster cleaned!

Now ribbon cable installing starts. I used scotch tape to attach cable to cluster. See red box how it is taped.

Take all silicon strips out.

Now you have cut some paper strips under the red silicone (from postcard or similar thikness). Put paper strips under the silicone and then install only red silicone strips (3pcs). This is that you can get good pressure to cable. You have to line ribbon cable with cluster!

Put the obd panel back in. Check that metal pins goes correctly in.

Put torx screws in from the holes what we drilled.

Now cut paper piece to long silicone strip and put it under the long silicone. Allso install foam piece what you recived.
Remember to put small blue silicone pieces to corners.

Silicone and foam piece.

Now flip LCD panel to the "obd cluster" I used piece of cardboard to hold foam piece that it wont fall off. Remember to match ribbon on lcd panel "lines". You will need flashlight to see lines from LCD panel.

Now hold LCD panel under the pressure with your fingers and check again that ribbon lines matches with lcd panel lines. Allso check that foam piece is correctly there. Still hold the pressure to lcd panel and put lcd panel cover on the lcd panel and lock it.
2 visible clamps are easy to clip in but 3 hiding clamps are hard to get. You most likely need screwdriver to push them in completely. You will HEARD A SNAP! This is importand beacause if you wont lock this correctly, ribbon wont get goot pressure and you will see missing pixels.

After this test cluster! If it works congrats! Now assemble rest of the cluster.

It tooked me about 3 hours to fix pixels.
Vantaam5 helped me when i needed some extra hand.
Hope this is helpful. If you order ribbon cable from Ribbontrade you will recive allso really good instructions.
When i did pixel repair first time, i printed all instructions what i found :typing:

Over and out!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Nice work, looks fiddly!

From working on this, any idea why I have missing pixels unless it's been raining, then they're 99% perfect?!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks for posting more pics! I will by doing this shortly when my ribbon comes in the mail. Hope you don't mind if I seek your expertise if I get stuck...hope you didn't have to go through multiple attempts like some people's experiences I've read about.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for posting more pics! I will by doing this shortly when my ribbon comes in the mail. Hope you don't mind if I seek your expertise if I get stuck...hope you didn't have to go through multiple attempts like some people's experiences I've read about.
Only issue what i had once was that i didnt push the lcd panel holder clamps propetly in. So it was loose and was missing few pixels. But it was fixed in 2minutes :p

·
Registered
841 Posts
so the issue stems from corrosion of the contacts? How does it corrode in the first place?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know what it was, but it wasnt corrosion. At least i think so. My theory is that silicone wont push cable anymore so tight to the cluster and there is a problem. Maybe old ribbon cracked a littlebit with time and temperature.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Nice write-up, especially considering that English is not your first language.

It's things like this that make this board so valuable.

Also, its write-ups like this that helped me to justify the $250 that I spent to have this done for me! I'm much too likely to bugger it up!

Reactions: Burnout_187

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Excellent DIY.

I've been contemplating to do it myself of sent it to vdorepair.

In all the cluster I missing 1 vertical line out of the temperature indicator (really annoying).

But its nice to know that this is a DIY. I wonder if there is a permanent fix like soldering the ribbon wire socket on the cluster PCBoard.

I cannot believe that the ribbon cable only glued from the factory :eek:h:.

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excellent DIY.

I've been contemplating to do it myself of sent it to vdorepair.

In all the cluster I missing 1 vertical line out of the temperature indicator (really annoying).

But its nice to know that this is a DIY. I wonder if there is a permanent fix like soldering the ribbon wire socket on the cluster PCBoard.

I cannot believe that the ribbon cable only glued from the factory :eek:h:.

Regardz,

J Irwan
No soldering!!!!
Pressure is a key.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Awesome post.

Just gotta now see if I can "man up" and do this myself.

·
Registered
449 Posts
thanks man
i did it last weekend with your DIY in front of me- took me 14 hours all up-

i made a mod to get it to work properly-

problem was one of the 4 screws holding the lcd carrrier wouldnt bite because corner of the white carrier thing was broken off.

many attempts and couldnt get all the pixcels, so.....

i got an M3 bolt and nut (yes i know, vey funny-should be M5) and put it right thru the board, theres a spare hole just near the screw, and voila!! jit worked

see pic

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just did this myself

Just DIY'd my dead pixels as well as wanted to chime in.

The key to 100% pixels is alignment of the new ribbon cable and the pressure the silicone inserts push it against the LCD. The whole thing is pretty daunting but patience and care is the key. You definitely want to be careful when the cluster is flipped over not to damage the speedo/fuel/tach/temp motors as they are very delicate. The trick to good pressure is to use thick photo paper (I doubled up the strips for each so now I have super bright LCD pixel display lol).

I bought a kit from ebay for $30 and saved myself at least $300 by doing it myself instead of sending to VDO for repair.

If you want to do it yourself--go to this guy on ebay: csiboreszkudo

BRAND NEW LCD RIBBON CABLE BMW E38 E39 X5, 5 7 SERIES | eBay

This guy has THE best video instructions...might be the only video instructions around...very very detailed and useful in noting tricks/caveats.

Be brave and learn to do this yourself!!! Very fulfilling feeling after fixing this. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts