BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How effective would an oil extractor, such as a Mityvac be, in a DIY oil change? Will it get out enough oil, or will it leave a large quantity that still requires removing the drain plug?

·
Registered
326 Posts
the M5 is one of the easiest cars, ive ever
done a oil change on. Just do it the old fashion way.

·
Registered
626 Posts
HDClown

My dealer and I both agree, you get more oil out of your S62 pulling it out the dipstick tube with a pump than you do by draining it out the bottom. In fact, betweent the dealer's services and my own changes, the drain plug's never been out of my engine.

The "fill quantity" in the manual is 6.5 liters, or seven quarts, but it takes an extra half-litre to top mine up to the "full" mark on the dipstick when I change it myself with the lift pump.

I use an electric pump that I got from a boating supply place. It has a five gallon capacity - your engine has a lot of oil in it!

Cheers
JJ

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jaj said:
HDClown

My dealer and I both agree, you get more oil out of your S62 pulling it out the dipstick tube with a pump than you do by draining it out the bottom. In fact, betweent the dealer's services and my own changes, the drain plug's never been out of my engine.

The "fill quantity" in the manual is 6.5 liters, or seven quarts, but it takes an extra half-litre to top mine up to the "full" mark on the dipstick when I change it myself with the lift pump.

I use an electric pump that I got from a boating supply place. It has a five gallon capacity - your engine has a lot of oil in it!

Cheers
JJ
jaj,

That's good to hear. I'm going to buy a Mityvac which holds > 7 gallons. On my Audi 1.8T, the dealer used an oil extractor as well because the dip stick tube went straight down to the bottom of the pan and the hose is thin enough to move around the pan. Finally time to buy an extractor.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not that I disagree, but this seems counter intuitive, how could sucking the oil out be more effective then using gravity to allow the oil to drain out the bottom of the oil pan?? just wondering, Josh

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bmwusa said:
Not that I disagree, but this seems counter intuitive, how could sucking the oil out be more effective then using gravity to allow the oil to drain out the bottom of the oil pan?? just wondering, Josh
Depends on pan design. Some pans may be setup in a way that the gravity won't allow all the oil left in the pan to flow down to the drain opening. The oil extractor tube can be moved all around to suck that out. It's probably not going to be a huge amount on any given car.

·
10,458 Posts
I've used my oil extractor once on the M5, recently. Like others, i instintively thought it'd be 'better' to drain via the plug. After the oil extractor, i needed 8 quarts and i was still just a hair under the full mark, so it did seem to removea little more oil than usual.
Mike

jaj said:
HDClown

Cheers
JJ

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
As I am about to buy lifts to attempt my first oil change soon, this is an interesting alternative.

Two questions:
1. Where does the pump hose go - I am inferring into the dipstick tube from one of the posts above.
2. What is the general range of costs for these pumps?

Thanks

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KevinM said:
As I am about to buy lifts to attempt my first oil change soon, this is an interesting alternative.

Two questions:
1. Where does the pump hose go - I am inferring into the dipstick tube from one of the posts above.

Thanks
THe tube goes down the dipstick tube, then you let it do it's thing, and when it seems to be done, you move the tube around to let it get some more.

Mityvac makes 2 hand pump models for the job, they also make ones that hook to an air compressor.

The hand pump models are 7201 at around $60 and 7400 at around $45

This is one place with both: http://www.sjdiscounttools.com. Which is some of the cheapest prices I've seen on the 2 units. I'm not sure what their shipping is like however.

·
Registered
626 Posts
KevinM

The hose goes down the dipstick tube. There's no trick to it - when it hits bottom, stop pushing and start the pump!

The Shurflo electric model I bought was about $200 Canadian, which at the time would have made it about $130 US or so. I use it for two cars and the lawnmower. You can do an oil & filter change on the M5 in about half an hour, and you have to work at getting your hands dirty.

Cheers
JJ

KevinM said:

Two questions:

Thanks

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
mottati said:
After the oil extractor, i needed 8 quarts and i was still just a hair under the full mark, so it did seem to removea little more oil than usual.
Mike
From this I conclude the "drain plug" method leaves 1.5 qts of old oil. That is rather much.

What if any is the advantage of the drain-plug method? Faster?

(I used to think it was better to pull the drain-plug to flush out any heavy particles not cought by the retention-magnet in the oil pan.)

David

·
Registered
928 Posts
Can this same method be used on the e28 m5? And is there a difference between the hand pump or electric pump i.e quicker pump action, more oil removed and capable of removing any metal shavings?Is this done with the oil warm or would it damage(melt) the plastic syphoning tube?

Do they make magnetic dip sticks?

·
Registered
369 Posts
HDClown said:
THe tube goes down the dipstick tube, then you let it do it's thing, and when it seems to be done, you move the tube around to let it get some more.

Mityvac makes 2 hand pump models for the job, they also make ones that hook to an air compressor.

The hand pump models are 7201 at around $60 and 7400 at around $45

This is one place with both: http://www.sjdiscounttools.com. Which is some of the cheapest prices I've seen on the 2 units. I'm not sure what their shipping is like however.
13 bucks shipping to Cali.

·
10,458 Posts
DavidS said:
From this I conclude the "drain plug" method leaves 1.5 qts of old oil. That is rather much.

David

I typically add about 7 -7.25L when i do the drain plug method. Not sure why all of the variability on the board, but when i do the drain plug, i let it drain until it stops, it trickles out for about 15-20 minutes with 10/60. This last time around, i used mobil 1 0w40, hence the 'quart' designation this time. I do wonder about the heavy stuff with the topside pump.
MIke

·
Registered
146 Posts
I got my pump from Griot's Garage and it works brilliantly. Unfortunately, it only works on my Mercs and the M5. If you have cars with dry sump systems you have to do it the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DavidS said:

What if any is the advantage of the drain-plug method? Faster?

(I used to think it was better to pull the drain-plug to flush out any heavy particles not cought by the retention-magnet in the oil pan.)

David
Since I have 4/50 extended maintenace, and will re-extend to 6/100, I'll be only doing inbetween oil changes. I'm going to assume the dealer does the drain plug method, but I can't say for sure without seeing them. So based on that, at ~6000 miles, I'll do extraction, and at my scheduled service, I'll get drain plug method. If I keep the car beyond the maintenance period, I'll probably keep the same routine, doing every other one with the extractor.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just did the oil change on my M5 using extractor. I have been using oil extractor for number of years changing oil in my boats diesel engines all the time. M5 uses the same oil cartridge insert technology as big diesel engines do. With other cars you have the spin-on oil filters, that when unscrewed always leak oil out. M5 is easy and clean. I will always do the mid oild changes this way myself.

Igor

·
Registered
143 Posts
how often should you change the oil and what is considered the best oil for the M cars? thanks Jonny

1 - 18 of 18 Posts