BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bosch sensor 13477 installed on code 134 bank 1 sensor 1 or in English, passenger side front pre cat took care of the SES light. Thanks for all who wrote on the problem. I am now ordering as second sensor for the right side per advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sensors

Hey Ty, I should have added another post. I changed my sensor, (bought a new NKG from the local parts store) and paid $120, way less than from the BMW dealer. And after two happy tanks of fuel the left hand precat piled up, drivers side. This time I bought a new one off of Amazon for $65 or so, a genuine Bosch, changed it out and am once again happy. I think the thing to do is change both when changing them. The toughest part is getting underneath the car, I am spoiled as I have a 4 post lift. Best of luck.
Kevin

·
Registered
883 Posts
What a great thread, thanks OP. I had same question as Northern, bank 1 sensor 1 on my OBD-II readers, so no question that means pre-cat, correct?

Will change them both out. Taking advantage of the price savings laid out in this thread.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Edgy-39, the code that showed bank one cylinder 1 is on the passengers side or left, and sensor one I found on another thread being pre cat. Did just the one change and cleared the codes and it was good for a few days. I think you will win if you do both.
Happy Driving:wroom:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thanks Blue. What tools did you use, you have any trouble swapping out the sensors? I have access to a lift.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used a crow foot socket on a 3/8" drive ratchet. Make sure you use anti seize on the threads on the new one. You could buy the correct cut away socket on Amazon, but not needed I would say.

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wasn't sure if anyone mentioned this (was too lazy to read through 7 pages): if your crow's foot is 90 degrees (on the x-axis) to the torque wrench, you won't need to compensate.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I replaced both my pre-cat 02 sensors with premium/genuine OEM Bosch units & she now pulls even better then before. Entire job took less that 50 minutes & BimmerZone has the best price I have ever seen...

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sheesh. For $46/ea it's worth a return trip to NAPA to get my $74/ea back that I just paid over the weekend (haven't installed them yet). Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Thanks to this thread I changed my pre cat O2s today before the dyno run.

The directions and pictures made it easier.

Love this board

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well, I decided it wasn't worth the return trip after all. I had some spare time this evening after putting the kid to sleep, so I swapped them out. They don't look too beat up. The parts are labeled with the same stamping as the new ones, but no idea if they are original or not.

I used my O2 sensor tool that I've had for a while, and it worked perfectly. I hit both sensors with some PB-50 lubricant about 10 minutes before removing them. I had no problems breaking them loose at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
431 Posts
thanks for the instructions all,
easy intall, did the pre-cat O2 sensors only,
much smoother after cold start and up to 2000rpm and free revving past 6,500rpm too,
beast is back (again)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Any tips on getting the 10 year old sensors off the car, when your only using ramps? I tried penetrating fluid, but I can only get a 12 in wrench under there with the O2 removal adapter, and it will not budge.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts