BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i found my very first experience on this forum to be extremely helpful so thought why not share my experience :cool2:

a bit of background: i recently purchased my e39 m5 which came with kw coil-overs and one broken spring (i welded it back together just to get home and wait for new ones). since i live in an area where the roads are not very good i opted to go for longer springs. KW informed me that i can upgrade from 170 to 200 which is what i ordered along with some dust covers and tid bits to replace. also keep in mind i had to order all the parts from germany (via a local distributor). im not claiming to be an expert, this was done in a garage with a bunch of bmw fanatics and the help of a metal worker. no pics of replacing the other side as all was straight forward.

new springs:

so after removing the original springs you can see the massive difference and what happens when a spring breaks

then comes trying to get the adjusters off, low and behold someone put the wrong ones on. this resulted in trying to beat it off with a hammer until we finally decided to cut them off (yes massive amounts of wd40, oils and compressed air was used) :Thumbdown:

next i learn that since the wrong adjusters were somehow forced on the thread was destroyed ... time to redo the thread on a lathe at a friends shop at 9pm .... this also shows that the dampener was a bit crooked so might as well straighten it out as well

now since we cut the adjusters off and germany isnt exactly next door what to do ... right lets make new ones :D

cutting out the slots for the adjuster key / wrench (not sure what its called)

comparison

test fitting

fits perfect! made sure to use high grade aluminum!

and presto, like new (well to me better as i know exactly how strong it is now :3:)

as you can imagine the car now rides like a dream, cant even compare to before!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent stuff. I love the fact that you completely sorted it and made your own parts, application of one's self and good use of available resources, well done :)
thanks! im really happy with the bunch of local guys here ready to sort it out no matter what :rally_drive:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts