BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In response to this PM:
SDAWG said:
I saw your pic of the CF steering wheel. Did you install it yourself or take it to a dealer?

If you installed it yourself do you have any pics of the install?
If a dealer installed it, can you give me an approx cost?

thanks in advance.
Warning: The install requires removal of the Airbag.

1. Turn the steering wheel so the bottom spoke is on top.
2. On the M6, lower the windows (once the battery is disconnected, the window makes the door hard to open)
3. Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery (wait half an hour, just in case) -- This is for Airbag safety
4. Push a screwdriver into the hole in the back of the steering wheel. There is not a screw, just push against a "spring" and the airbag will be fall forward -- leave the wires attached.
5. Remove 2 T-20 torx screws, and gently pull the trim (including the buttons) from the wheel
6. Remove 4 T-20 torx screws, that attach the trim and the pods with the buttons.

Installation is the reverse, with these notes.
1. The replacement trim did not fit tightly against the existing pods with the buttons. I needed to scrap a small piece of plastic off the back of the trim with an xacto knife.
2. The airbag held in place with 4 spring loaded hooks, and with snap in place without tools.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Did the same upgrade

I did the same upgrade last week, but mine was M5/M6 specific, the one you show is for the regular E60/E63/E64 cars. See attached. Goes really well with the carbon fiber handbrake lever.

Noushy

Attachments

·
1,764 Posts
So noushy, where did you get the CF part with the fancy ///M ? Is it a stick-on logo or molded in? :cheers:

·
Registered
270 Posts
AT makes it

They make the same piece for the M cars. It is just like the factory, a notch in the lower center, and the little stick on M. I have a sheet of 10 of these that are exactly the same size, and are the same as the ones on the wheels as well. I just asked for the one for the M6, and mine came that way.

Noushy

·
Registered
270 Posts
Some of the mods I had put in last week

Here is a few updated pixs, sorry for the blurr, DSLR does not like low light without a flash. Anyways the last two show the mirror covers and the interior trim with handbrake and dinan pedals.

Noushy

Attachments

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...mine was M5/M6 specific, the one you show is for the regular E60/E63/E64 cars.
Badges? We don't need no stinking badges.
<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-lj056ao6GE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

·
Registered
127 Posts
Southbay BMW in Los Angeles

Purchased the CF for the steering through eBay and had Southbay BMW install it under warranty. love the look and feel.
I just told them that the stock steering wheel was defective and that part should be removed and installed with the CF and they didn't even blink. topped off my oil today as well. service was good today. :hihi:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Here is a few updated pixs, sorry for the blurr, DSLR does not like low light without a flash. Anyways the last two show the mirror covers and the interior trim with handbrake and dinan pedals.

Noushy
wow :applause:
where did you get the CF mirrors covers ?

·
Registered
270 Posts
CD Mirror covers

Purchased them from a dealer on ebay. He was reasonable, and shipped promptly. His handle is led4you. He sells a few different parts (bought the steering wheel piece too) from him. There are several vendors which sell the same parts. Look online and you will see even jlevisw sells them.

Enjoy,
Noushy

·
Registered
270 Posts
Parking Brake Handle

Purchased from the same online dealer on ebay. It cost around $50, and I tell you, the quality is great and it feels really good in the hand. Probably the best bang for the buck upgrade I did. I will try and see if I can find the link again. Look on ebay though

Noushy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have surface peeling on my steering wheel trim so really want to replace it. This seems like the perfect answer, however I can seem to find the CF trim with the M badge anywhere! even on the autotecknic website. Can anyone help here?!

Thanks,

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have surface peeling on my steering wheel trim so really want to replace it. This seems like the perfect answer, however I can seem to find the CF trim with the M badge anywhere! even on the autotecknic website. Can anyone help here?!

Thanks,
I got mine from the "led4you" vendor on Ebay- he doesn't advertise the //M just the plain model but I emailed and asked if they had the //M version, which they did. When you make the ebay purchase just state that you want the //M.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got mine from the "led4you" vendor on Ebay- he doesn't advertise the //M just the plain model but I emailed and asked if they had the //M version, which they did. When you make the ebay purchase just state that you want the //M.
As it happens, I did just that a few hours ago! He hasn't replied yet but I'm sure he will soon. How much did you pay?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts