BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello board, I just wanted to share a recent project I did at my shop. Apparently myself and a few others have had problems with the provided ESS supercharger intake tube kinking after install and cutting off boost pressure. This is a simple intake tube upgrade that IMO looks much better and will flow 100% under all conditions.

Parts required:

1. One 45 degree 3.5" silicone elbow. (I purchased mine from www.amazon.com)
2. 3.5" inlet 5" long air filter, you can use any brand but I used the Apexi filter.
3. One 90 degree 3.5" aluminum elbow. (I purchased mine from Intercooler Pipe Fabrication - Silicone Intake Systems Auto Parts)
4. Two 110mm hose clamps. (One clamp should come with your air filter.) To be safe you can order 3.

1. First you need to take your 90 degree elbow and get a tape measure, your going to need to cut off 2 inches off both sides of the pipe. Take a tape measure and mark 2" all around the pipe on both ends with a sharpie, your going to connect the dots afterwards and use a electric saw to cut the pipe. Once you cut off 2" on both sides you should be able to produce what I have in the pictures below, enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Upon further testing, this filter needs to be twice as big. I will update this thread once I find a suitable size to flow approximately 1200CFM.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Upon further testing, this filter needs to be twice as big. I will update this thread once I find a suitable size to flow approximately 1200CFM.
What wrong with filter K&N uses othen than being very long.

I have a similar set-up except, i used all silicone tubes and connecting pipes to get desired position, which is more horizontal vs. vertical

Nice work by the way..

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I just ended up using the original supplied K&N filter again but I had to trim the 90 degree about 1.5 inches more to fit it in nicely. I also trimmed the interior lip on the inside of the filter to squeeze it on a little farther down.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a pic of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nice write up......quick question, where did you purchase the A2W exchanger from? I also see you have an oil cooler under the exchanger....is that a RK unit? Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yes this is the RK unit, I did the first install on it. There is a write up that I made on it if you search :)

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like I'll have to give this a shot as I have had boost/power issues in the higher gears.
Yeah it's not very difficult, just make sure you measure everything several times before you start cutting.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Did this myself over the weekend, I think its an improvement over the RK dryer hose looking setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts