BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're like me and accidentally reset your brake pad sensors before you actually changed them, you likely see ----- on your dashboard when you tried again to reset them after you installed new sensors.

Good news! I found a solution that doesn't require you to go to the dealer to get this fixed.

You need to have a working install of INPA (search the forum and/or google on how to do this).

Put your key into the ignition and press the Start button to turn on the car (press twice I believe). Do NOT start the car though (do not touch the brake pedal when you press the Start button).

Plug your OBDII cable into your laptop and car.

Open up Tool32.exe (in the C:\EDIABAS\BIN folder).
Open File (or just press F3) 'DSC_87.PRG' (in the ECU folder).
In the left Column, under Jobs, choose CBS_RESET.

To reset Front brake pad sensors, under center column (Arguments), type:
Br_v;100;31;255;255;8000h;Fh;FFh;FFh;00h
Click Jobs menu and select Start Job Once Only (or just press F5)

To reset Rear brake pad sensors, under center column (Arguments), type:
Br_h;100;31;255;255;8000h;Fh;FFh;FFh;00h
Click Jobs menu and select Start Job Once Only (or just press F5)

Turn off the car
Disconnect the OBDII cable
Put the key back in your pocket
Start the car (press brake and push start)

If your problem was the same as mine, it should now be fixed.
Front brakes should read 25,000 miles
Rear brakes should read 31,000 miles

I am not very familiar with the tool32 software, so I cannot help troubleshoot issues... just giving that advice in advance.
I am also not responsible if you make a mistake and/or cause issues with your car by doing this.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
211 Posts
HELP

I have been having this issue for soo long now its getting annoying

when i run the above I am getting the following

apiJob("DSC_87","cbs_reset","br_v;100;31;255;255;8000h;Fh;FFh;FFh;00h","")

Satz : 0
OBJECT = dsc_87
SAETZE = 1
JOBNAME = cbs_reset
VARIANTE = DSC_87
JOBSTATUS =
UBATTCURRENT = 1
UBATTHISTORY = 1
IGNITIONCURRENT = 1
IGNITIONHISTORY = 1
Satz : 1
JOB_STATUS = ERROR_ECU_CONDITIONS_NOT_CORRECT_OR_REQUEST_SEQUENCE_ERROR
_TEL_AUFTRAG = 18 Bytes
000 : 8F 29 F1 2E 10 01 01 02 64 1F 1F 40 00 00 FF FF �)ñ..... [email protected]ÿÿ
010 : 00 00 ..
_TEL_ANTWORT = 7 Bytes
000 : 83 F1 29 7F 2E 22 6C Ė)."l

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy,
Sorry, but I honestly do not have enough experience to help in this matter. The best advice is to make sure you format the commands properly. The program should have a dialogue box that has the exact command format. If that doesnt work, perhaps your car software needs to be updated. I had mine done last year (paid dealer $120 to do it). They should also be able to fix your issue and reset the brake sensors.

·
Registered
130 Posts
HELP

I have been having this issue for soo long now its getting annoying

when i run the above I am getting the following

apiJob("DSC_87","cbs_reset","br_v;100;31;255;255;8000h;Fh;FFh;FFh;00h","")

Satz : 0
OBJECT = dsc_87
SAETZE = 1
JOBNAME = cbs_reset
VARIANTE = DSC_87
JOBSTATUS =
UBATTCURRENT = 1
UBATTHISTORY = 1
IGNITIONCURRENT = 1
IGNITIONHISTORY = 1
Satz : 1
JOB_STATUS = ERROR_ECU_CONDITIONS_NOT_CORRECT_OR_REQUEST_SEQUENCE_ERROR
_TEL_AUFTRAG = 18 Bytes
000 : 8F 29 F1 2E 10 01 01 02 64 1F 1F 40 00 00 FF FF �)ñ..... [email protected]ÿÿ
010 : 00 00 ..
_TEL_ANTWORT = 7 Bytes
000 : 83 F1 29 7F 2E 22 6C Ė)."l
If you can't get any answers on this forum you can give this one a try... BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. - Powered by vBulletin

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I did the rears as well to make sure, they reset fine with the above command.

I did find in INPA which i recently updated its complaining about the front sensors. They are genuine BMW ones so I may have a fault somewhere there. I will investigate at the weekend when i have more time

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies.

I did the rears as well to make sure, they reset fine with the above command.

I did find in INPA which i recently updated its complaining about the front sensors. They are genuine BMW ones so I may have a fault somewhere there. I will investigate at the weekend when i have more time
Also, for good measure, after I reset the sensors with the above commands (using the software), I then hooked up a 'shorted out' sensor (that I had removed from the car when changing the brake pads - just strip the wires and twist them together) and reset the brake mileage in the car using the normal method. It worked fine, so I then re-hooked up the new sensors and reset again (using the normal method) and voila, it is working correctly now... big lesson learned here is to never reset your brake pad sensors before they are changed otherwise you have to use the bmw software to manually reset the sensors...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you, I was going crazy after testing the sensors (ohms were good) and voltage at the junction box (voltage was good), as well as using the jumper wire to bypass the sensor...Everything was working fine, but my indicator would not reset.

Finally I found this post and realized I screwed things up by reseting the indicator before changing the sensors.

I do not have the tools or software needed to do the reset myself. My question is:

Can I take my car to an indy shop or do I have to take it to the dealership to reset the indicators now? Also, what should I ask them to perform and how much should it cost?

Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thank you, I was going crazy after testing the sensors (ohms were good) and voltage at the junction box (voltage was good), as well as using the jumper wire to bypass the sensor...Everything was working fine, but my indicator would not reset.

Finally I found this post and realized I screwed things up by reseting the indicator before changing the sensors.

I do not have the tools or software needed to do the reset myself. My question is:

Can I take my car to an indy shop or do I have to take it to the dealership to reset the indicators now? Also, what should I ask them to perform and how much should it cost?

Thanks!

I know im grave digging an old Thread, BUT i wanted to clear something up.

Before you start any process mentioned earlier in this thread and then get into a mess and realize that you are not ready to mess with all that please try the following.

THINGS you need.

A PC i5 or better minium 2.2 GHz and 4gb ram
ISTA (ista is now one suite comes with p/d take not that some e60 models will still needs ista p for retro fitting and programming)
Double K line cable much much cheaper
or if you are a "high baller" as the kids say get your self a K+Dcan with switcher, ( keep note that the cable does indeed matter and you need to figure out which one you need based on production year)
---------------

Now the simplest way of getting all this is through rheingold, but if you are not ready to spend $200 you can try a few sellers on ebay for a cheaper deal.

NOW lets assume you have all of this.

What you need to do is running the diagnostic tolls find the fault, and test everything,

Long story short you will be resetting the CBS via ISTA and that takes about 5 minutes tops,

Best Regards

To anyone who has been driving around with a big red brake light for the past 6 months :p

-ilya

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
darrikpuetz
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing