BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so first of all, thanks to all the board members who have been so gracious in answering my (sometimes stupid) questions the past two days as I installed a CF E-brake handle, Steering Wheel Trim, Front Grills, RPI scoops and block off plates, and finally, a set of Weisslicht Angel Eyes.

Of all the mods listed above, most have excellent DIY threads, with the one possible exception being the E-Brake handle, so here goes....

Step 1: Grasp the back of the EBrake Boot, and pull up. The rear clip will pull out pretty easily.
Step 2: Carefully pull the boot and trim piece up and out of the center console. Note that the front clip looks like an "L", the back clip is straight. It's important you remember how this is configured when you go to put the boot on the new handle. Next, pull the boot up and over the handle, basically turning it inside out, exposing the plastic wire tie which holds the boot to the handle.
Step 3: Cut the wire tie with a pair of wire cutters. You can now pull the boot off the handle and set it aside.
Step 4: Refer to the pictures below. There are two small tabs on the right and left of the metal ebrake handle. There are two indentations in the stock handle that these fit in to. So, to remove the handle, simple slide a small screwdriver into each side so the handle will slide off the the tabs. It can then slide off the handle easily. NO NEED TO PULL, CUT OR FORCE THE HANDLE OFF. It is NOT glued on .
Step 5: Test fit your new handle. On mine, the tabs on the ebrake handle stuck out just enough that I could not get it to slide on all the way, so I had to file them down a little. (This was easily done, the metal is soft, and you don't need to take them down all the way.
Step 6: Once you're satisfied the handle fits on the shaft correctly, it's time to attach the boot to the handle. Push the handle through so the back of the handle goes into the boot first. This way, you can easily push (rather than pull) the handle into the hole and then lign up the groove in the boot so that it fits the groove on the handle. Then, attach with a wire tie.
Step 7: Slide the handle and boot assembly on the ebrake handle, make sure it's staight and on all the way, and then tighten down the two allen set screws.
Step 8: Work the boot back so it's right side out, insert the front tab into the center console, and then gently slide the back tab into the center console. You may need to push on the tab with a small screwdriver to get it in.

DONE. Go have a cold one and enjoy your mod!:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It goes great with the CF steering wheel trim, both can be done easily in an hour or so....

·
Registered
358 Posts
Plan on steering wheel as well. With college and high school football starting time is limited. Will probably do this in the winter when its more comfortable to be in the garage and have time. Just cleaning the windows and interior in the garage at 9pm the other night I was dripping in sweat. (yes Dan I will disconnect the battery when doing the steering wheel)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts