BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I've been looking recently at a few threads on DIY CAI and understand that (basically), you are connecting a 3" tube from the lower part of the stock air intake box down to the front grill area and connecting it to a sink drain (or equivalent). My question is - does the grill need to be cut and the sink drain put there or can you retain a completely sleeper-like appearance and connect the tube behind the standard grill? As you've seen from comments from Marc Ducati recently, Switzerland isn't actually the most forgiving/accepting in terms of car modifications so I prefer to change only those things that can't be seen unless really scrutinised by those in the "know".

Presuming I can source the tubing (this is not a hotbed of the DIY circuit either :hihi: ), is the job easier like this than with the sink drains (i.e. just connecting the tube at the top and then "fixing" it to the back of the wire mesh? Has anyone done this already who could give a tip or two?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
374 Posts
grp said:
Folks,

I've been looking recently at a few threads on DIY CAI and understand that (basically), you are connecting a 3" tube from the lower part of the stock air intake box down to the front grill area and connecting it to a sink drain (or equivalent). My question is - does the grill need to be cut and the sink drain put there or can you retain a completely sleeper-like appearance and connect the tube behind the standard grill? As you've seen from comments from Marc Ducati recently, Switzerland isn't actually the most forgiving/accepting in terms of car modifications so I prefer to change only those things that can't be seen unless really scrutinised by those in the "know".

Presuming I can source the tubing (this is not a hotbed of the DIY circuit either :hihi: ), is the job easier like this than with the sink drains (i.e. just connecting the tube at the top and then "fixing" it to the back of the wire mesh? Has anyone done this already who could give a tip or two?

Thanks in advance,
Hi I did this a few years ago on one of my E34's. You can drill a couple of small holes at the end of the tube that you will run, in my case it was flexiduct, and simply use a couple of cable ties to attach it to the grill. That way you do not need to cut the grill and it looks a lot more discrete.

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Amjad, I was wondering if anyone had used cable ties for the job... :) . I need to investigate what's actually behind the grill now to work out what to cut to get the tube to the mesh (I believe there are some plastic covers there in stock form) and what room I have for the tubing (i.e. for length / routing etc).

So far, it sounds too easy
- I expect further replies will dispel this feeling :hihi:

Regards,

Gary.

Amjad Ali said:
Hi I did this a few years ago on one of my E34's. You can drill a couple of small holes at the end of the tube that you will run, in my case it was flexiduct, and simply use a couple of cable ties to attach it to the grill. That way you do not need to cut the grill and it looks a lot more discrete.

Cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
does CAI really make that much difference? Where I drive there alot of bugs around and can see it clogging up with them. Anywhere else it can be re-routed or covered to and make a similar gains?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts