BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guide intends to give you a step-by-step on how to automate the activation of WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS on your tablet and Wi-Fi tethering on your phone.

After you're done, simply get in the car and turn the key and your tablet will have automatically established a connection with your phone and all services will be active without having to lift a finger. Sweet!

And...in case you wanted to learn how to install a tablet in your ride HERE.

Setup
1) Have your android tablet and phone handy
2) Install 'Tasker' on your phone and tablet (Play Store)
3) Optional: Install the 'Secure Settings' plugin on your tablet and phone (Play Store) **This is primarily if you want to control the GPS function on a rooted device
4) Optional: Install the 'Tasker/Locale' plugin on your tablet and phone **This is if you want to automate Tablet Talk
5) Optional: Open 'Secure Settings' on your tablet/phone. Click on 'System+'. Press 'Enable' **This is primarily if you want to control the GPS function on a rooted device

Tasker WIFI Automation
1) Open Tasker on your tablet
2) Press the '+' button at the bottom of the screen
3) Press 'State'
4) Press 'Power'
5) Press 'Power' again
6) Press the 'State Edit Power' button in the upper left hand corner
7) Press 'New Task'
8) Name your task, "Power on Wifi"
9) Press the '+' button at the bottom of the screen
10) Press 'Net'
11) Press 'Wifi'
12) Press 'Action Edit Wifi' in the upper left hand corner

Under 'Profiles' you'll now see an item called 'Power Any'. You can click for details. You have now successfully created and automation that turns on the tablet's wifi when it senses that it's been plugged in (ACC On).

Tasker Bluetooth Automation
Follow the previous steps 2-12 and name your new task "Power On Bluetooth" and select bluetooth (instead of Wifi in the previous process)

Tasker GPS Automation (optional - for power saving)
1)Follow previous steps 2-9 and name your new task "Power on GPS"
2) Press 'Location'
3) Press 'GPS'
4) Press 'Action Edit GPS' in the upper left hand corner

You have now completely automated the process of turning on Wifi, Bluetooth, and GPS as soon as your tablet gets power (plugged in or ACC on). As soon as you unplug the tablet or ACC off, any items you've automated will also be turned off.

To automate Tablet Talk:
1) From the Tasker home screen, click on the profile item that runs bluetooth (Power Any --> Power On Bluetooth)
2) Click 'Power On Bluetooth'
3) Press the '+' button at the bottom of the screen
4) Press 'Task'
5) Press 'Wait' and select 4 seconds (this gives the tablet time to activate bluetooth before activating Tablet Talk)
6) Press the '+' button at the bottom of the screen
7) Press 'Plugin'
8) Press 'Tablet Talk Action'
9) Press 'Configuration'
10) Press 'Start BT Mode'
11) Press 'Done'
12) Press 'Action Edit Tablet Talk Action'
13) **Make sure that any settings in the Automatic Features in Tablet Talk are turned off

You've now successfully automated the process of Tablet Talk initiating connection with your phone as soon as bluetooth is activated.

And for the final step, we'll want to automate Wifi tethering on your android phone so that when you plug it into your car charger, it automatically creates a hotspot for your tablet so you can have access to all your favorite apps and services.

Phone - WiFi Tethering Automation
1) Open Tasker on your phone
2) Follow the same steps as the above 'Wifi Automation', but instead call it 'Wifi Tethering' and select 'Wifi Tether' from the list instead of 'WiFi'.

You've now automated Wifi tethering, creating a hotspot every time you plug your phone into the car charger. CONGRATS!

Hope the few of you that are running a tablet enjoy this. With luck it will inspire some to upgrade the dated tech in what is otherwise an amazing beast. Have fun!

·
Registered
554 Posts
tagged, tho this might not be necessary w/ the rom i'll be using. still good writeup.

I'm curious, I'll be primarily using Spotify for music with offline sync. Do you think it is possible to have the tablet shut down after a playlist download sync is completed instead of as soon as the ignition is cut? Or maybe I just set a timed delay for power off after ignition cut. hmmmm...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For sure. Tasker is very versatile and you can set all kinds of conditions. I just used the 'Power' condition for this write-up because it's one of the more simple ones. I'm not sure if you can have it shut down after download, but you can get creative and make it work for you. I'll take a look when I get home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts