BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question was asked in an earlier thread but nobody answered.

How would doing Inspection I/II, Oil Change effect the CPO warranty? Or even aftermarket warranty for those with third party warranties.

From the numereous threads about Inspections I and II, it seems like a complete rip-off to have them done by the dealer! So how can I do it myself and still retain my warranty?

Sorry for the basic question but it's really nagging in my head and I'd love to know.

·
10,458 Posts
at least in the US, as long as you have records (parts receipts, some documentation as to what was done) you can't be denied warranty coverage for not going to the dealer for service.
Mike

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Ditto that - IN THE USA.

I keep notes of everything I do on all my cars- not computerized, not crazy-detailed logs, but every receipt goes in a file. Everytime I check oil, change oil, rotate tires, inspect, etc I write it done and put it in the file. Ony once was I asked for this by a service mgr. Just looked at it and said 'fine'.

I personally think that the DIY type will fare better than someone who can only dig up two credit car receipt to 'bavarian service' a few years go when trying to explain a dead car...

OUTSIDE THE USA it is probably different! There is a specific law in the US that forces manufacturers to allow others to do the service. If it weren't for this law you can BET they'd require it for all service as long as the warranty was valid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts