BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys it was sorry sight the other day seeing the M being towed after i lost all my power while driving.

I started my car in the morning fine no problems at all but my red battery light came on i ignored it as it
has come on before but after turning the car off and then restarting it turned off so presumed it would
do the same. While i was driving along the heated seats didnt get hot and then all the warning lights
flashed on then off a couple of times before all coming on and then eventually the car stopped.

I have recently changed the battery so can eliminate that as being an issue. The recovery guy tested
with an multimeter and confirmed no charge while car was running as he gave it a boost start so am
now looking at replacing the alternator.

I intially looked on GSF & Euro car parts and nearly fainted at the price of a new alternator £500-£600 after
some searching on the net a company can get a new one at £333 all in or refurb mine for £150 so probably
gonna go refurb route to save some pennies.

So can anyone point me in a nice neat DIY guide for replacing the alternator cant seem to find anything
anywhere other than someone on hear saying it took 6 hours which doesnt sounds good.

Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I did mine in about 45 min from the top, remove the airbox and vent the coolant hoses (WHILE COLD) to allow slight displacement of the hoses when maneuvering, disconnect the battery, release the drive belt, and unbolt the alternator and remove it...pretty simple

I cant remember if i removed the fan or not, but if you do put some cardboard in there to protect the fins and your hands...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok cheers dude thats given me a bit more confidence now.

I have replaced alternators on other cars no problem and was gonna just get stuck in and do it but nowadays there is usually
DIY guides which obviously help alot and make the job a bit quicker.

Maybe ill try and put a guide together myself. Have to find the camera first !

Cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok so finally started my job of removing alternator and have quit today as the day light has gone and as im working outside its also bloody freezing.

Not got very far today took right hand air box off started to loosen top alternator bolt but couldnt really get to bottom one so then started to try and take fan shroud off, i have got shroud loose but dont think its gonna come off without removing the fan so will have another go tomorrow.

Anyone advise me how to release the drive belt and just confirm that there is just two bolts holding alternator on ?

Many thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so found this diagram can anyone help in what i need to unscrew to release the drive belt.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Cheers for the info mate has made it alot clearer.

Couldnt get fan off though so gonna go buy locking tool.

Figured i may as well get a universal one as ive done this job few times on other cars and always remember it being pain in arse and last time i ended up shearing bolt of water pump.

Found this one :

1 - 7 of 7 Posts