BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
any reason you went powerchips opposed to the shark tuner?
Dan,

More than a few.

1. They are within an hours drive. So no taking out the DME, overnighting, then
installing. I call them up, drive down, 15 minutes, done.
2. They are pricey initially, but give us (M5Board) a break. Their customer
support / service is THE BEST IMHO. I always get a return e-mail / phone call
within 24hrs.
3. $50 to re-flash under any condition (return to their tune after BMW re-flash,
mods upgrade, etc...)
4. I have been there 3 times. Each time I leave, I feel the software change
immediately. I am so excited about the headers/CATS software re-flash, I am
about ready to scream..In my case, they have done the "AA" code secondary
air flow delete, and will be able to eliminate the b2 b3 CAT efficiency code
that will probably show up with the SS CATS. The beauty is that neither of
these codes will effect our performance...They are just smog SES codes that
are a PITA and would prohibit my passing smog here in CA.

Hope that helps

Steve

·
Registered
381 Posts
"I see you have the Exotic Tuning fog light covers. Do you have anything connected to that outlet? Ken from ET told me the outlet is 30 mm which doesn't seem big enough to do much with but would like your input. Love the look either way though. "

If the inlet is smaller than your port size you will be effectually making your inlet a restrictor. The flow at some RPM will be choked (not allowing anymore flow to pass) and potentially go super sonic leading to potential losses in energy due to shock waves.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
"I see you have the Exotic Tuning fog light covers. Do you have anything connected to that outlet? Ken from ET told me the outlet is 30 mm which doesn't seem big enough to do much with but would like your input. Love the look either way though. "

If the inlet is smaller than your port size you will be effectually making your inlet a restrictor. The flow at some RPM will be choked (not allowing anymore flow to pass) and potentially go super sonic leading to potential losses in energy due to shock waves.
Woooow...

Never heard it expressed like that. Without stealing Firehire's thunder, I have the Exotics also. If you have a Dinan style CAI, those passages would allow direct ambient airflow right towards the K&N's. Or in his case, towards the the one big K&N for his ESS system :grrrrr:

In my current case, they are puely cosmetic since the hoses for my AA CAI actually block the opening. When I get an ESS however.....

:biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
380 Posts

Do you see the stock setup as a "restrictor" because the small slots through which it draws air are much smaller than these openings...

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Woooow...

Never heard it expressed like that. Without stealing Firehire's thunder, I have the Exotics also. If you have a Dinan style CAI, those passages would allow direct ambient airflow right towards the K&N's. Or in his case, towards the the one big K&N for his ESS system :grrrrr:

In my current case, they are puely cosmetic since the hoses for my AA CAI actually block the opening. When I get an ESS however.....

:biggrinbounce:
Thanks Steve. Steve is correct, at this time it is purely cosmetic as I am not installing a CAI. That will be taken care of when I get the S/C installed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
old thread but very useful, thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks' for sharing your knowledge!!

I was searching for a AA CAI and can't find anything. You help me to save nerves and money.

Many thanks'!!!!!

61 - 69 of 69 Posts