BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Choked? The air is supersonic...sweet lets shove that into our engines. Crazy ram air. :D

:nono: I disagree about the ribbing. While I cannot quantify it,...yet..., I would rather have smoothest ducting I can get. The engine is drawing in air like a vacuum and this air is moving quickly, thus you do as much as you can to not slow it down. The multiple bends is not helping the case as I agree, but you would be surprised what ribbing as apposed to bends does. Been there done that with actual racecars.
you probably think your m5 is a racecar too then huh? that completely explains your logic. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Great write up. excellent effort - thanks...

FWIW - IMHO - Not sure if any of this helps

- regardless of the hose ribbing etc - the length of the tube that the air travels is longer than the stock horns = drag - and note the AA setup has a piece of metal that is out into the air stream - - your's does not - without this metal bit 'scooping' the air into the air duct, you run the risk of a lower pressure being developed at the inlet of the hose - as the air rushing by can create a drop in pressure - almost venturi effect...

So although you almost replicate the same concept - there are fundamental differences that can have a large impact... - no way of knowing for sure without a bench flow test etc...

Unless you live in a really hot climate and lag around town, I've always wondered if it's worth all the effort to fight the heat soak with this - watching the temperature readout - you'll note it begins to drop/improve/less heat soak once you go over 50mph...
hey mark- thanks for the ideas.

you referred to the diy kit not having a scoop to force the air into the intake stream. If you look at the stock setup, there is no scoop to foce air into it at this angle. The 'scoop' effect on the stock intake is pulling air from the same angle as the 'diy kit' does. IIRC, the actual 'snorkel' is just a sound deadening muffler to quiet intake noises.

regardless, i don't think it matters. you're never gonna dyno the car and get the same two results, so you're never gonna have a "this makes X more power". I just think it was fun to try and build and mimic a $1000 kit within a limited budget. yaay :typing:

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
.......you referred to the diy kit not having a scoop to force the air into the intake stream. If you look at the stock setup, there is no scoop to foce air into it at this angle. The 'scoop' effect on the stock intake is pulling air from the same angle as the 'diy kit' does. IIRC, the actual 'snorkel' is just a sound deadening muffler to quiet intake noises......
You're right - the snorkel is only for sound - and they also do not have a way to force the air. I was only reffering to the fact that now quite unlike the stock setup or the AA, your setup has unrestricted air flowing past the opening, which could cause a lower pressure to the intake...

no worries

btw - I don't think anyone believes AA with their claim of hp....

But they sure made a bundle selling $100 worth of stuff for $1000 - - yours is much much more affordable - thanks again for the comprehensive write up

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
btw - I don't think anyone believes AA with their claim of hp....

But they sure made a bundle selling $100 worth of stuff for $1000 - - yours is much much more affordable - thanks again for the comprehensive write up
are you sure about that? i can show you several accounts of people getting their panties in a bunch when someone told them their AA kit was lucky to make 1whp more than stock. we wont get into the dinan intakes or mufflers. ive seen people CLAIM there car made almost 20-30whp more than stock...

there's enough gullable people in the world to get suckered into stuff like this, just look at the pricetag alone, $1000? seriously?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

regardless, i don't think it matters. you're never gonna dyno the car and get the same two results, so you're never gonna have a "this makes X more power". I just think it was fun to try and build and mimic a $1000 kit within a limited budget. yaay :typing:
Dan,

Congrats on a great DYI....Bottom line is this....Do you like it??? I do. I have the AA kit, abeit I did not purchase it new and complete from AA..I purchased it used..."One piece at a time" You'll notice on the AA aluminum brake duct, all they have done is add the flanged side to the factory duct. I actually changed their setup since it comes in at a 90 degree to the airflow. In changing the angle to about a 65 degree (Eyeball calc only) I believe I am getting more air routied directly into the hoses, and into the motor even then their setup.

We all could have a debate on ram-air effect or not. I would argue with anyone that while yes, the ribbed tubing (even AA setup) and some bends is not absolute "Ram-Air", the improved effect of cool/warm forced ambient air into the motor has to be an improvement in horsepower than drawing through the factory horns, especially on an air hundry motor like the S62..That being said, I am not naive enough to believe it is worth 10-15 whp either..:rolleyes:

My 2 cents...flame suit donned..

P.S.....Congrats again Dan...nice pictorial

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
who knows. what i do know, is that i wouldn't mind having the shark software before winter, but not gonna happen. gotta prepare for the heating bill. FML.

Raz-- you look at their $1000 intake, it's better than dinan's $1600 right? That's probably how they figure out their price, and those metal / aluminum pieces...definitely where the money in that kit is. ps- how's it feel driving the car stock again?

either way. the rings look badass, and they are not just for show, so im happy.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
are you sure about that? i can show you several accounts of people getting their panties in a bunch when someone told them their AA kit was lucky to make 1whp more than stock. we wont get into the dinan intakes or mufflers. ive seen people CLAIM there car made almost 20-30whp more than stock...

there's enough gullable people in the world to get suckered into stuff like this, just look at the pricetag alone, $1000? seriously?
they are just trying to justify their investment. I'd be the same way if I dropped that kind of money.

IMO any intake whether it be Dinan, AFE, AA, etc...will give max 5-7HP to the wheels increase. hard to show up on a dyno as this is within the normal variation range for most dynos!!

As such, I'm just leaving my intake setup stock...but I've removed the snorkels, as I agree with the general consensus that they are there purely for muffling intake noise..plus the 4" intake hole from the airbox is much bigger than the ends of those snorkels....less bends/bigger opening=more airflow

easy way to improve the stock airbox is just to ditch these snorkels altogether.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
.................As such, I'm just leaving my intake setup stock...but I've removed the snorkels, as I agree with the general consensus that they are there purely for muffling intake noise..plus the 4" intake hole from the airbox is much bigger than the ends of those snorkels....less bends/bigger opening=more airflow.....
just wondering - do you notice any difference in sound/power since you ditched the snorkels?

·
Registered
381 Posts
you probably think your m5 is a racecar too then huh? that completely explains your logic. :rolleyes:
I am not calling the M5 a racecar nor am I calling myself an expert on inter-engine flow. I do however know from personal experience through intake designs and ducting that inter-wall smoothness is key and have real world high speed experience to back it up. If I come off as a stuck up engineer I apologize, not my intention. My intention was to put some testing and wisdom behind my case.

I merely was trying to present an better option for a less money than the Jegs ducting hose.

Raza, I mean no disrespect, but far be it for me to try and help another board member.:dunno:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
fwiw, the brake ducting is pretty ribbed from the factory (the metal one). I'm sure if everything was built out of glass it would flow much better, but at what cost.

ps--- took new pictures tonight, now do i make a new thread or put them in here, hehe...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hey I'm just trying to show that there is a better option out there and again for less price than the Jegs crap. Dan if you have anymore pics I would love to see them.

The proof is in the pudding. Picture of the mesh then flow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I don't think anyone is arguing that there is NO adverse/turbulent effect on the air, but I believe that the limiting factor is the appetite of the engine and it's inability to suck in more air through the stock airbox than the aluminum ducting can provide. I guess we would need CFM data regarding the ducting but I find it hard to believe that the ducting would be a limiting factor, i.e. I don't think a smooth pipe in place of the ribbed ducting would yield even 1 hp

·
Registered
381 Posts
I agree. I think MarkQC makes the most valid point in that the drag due to length is the biggest factor.

Dan where are those new pictures?

21 - 40 of 69 Posts