BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I have been having the typical brake shudder and tramlining which points to thrust arms bushings. I just had front upper (thrust) and lower control arms replaced. At 75K mileage I figure change the lower now and not worry about it later. Got the vehicle aligned and the wheel shudder during breaking is gone and during hard braking the car does not dive and feels solid again. The only issue is a very "slight" pull to the left but a noticeable dive left when doing a right turn at speed or taking a curvy exit on the right. I can take a hard turn to left and the suspension holds nicely. Also if shocks, can I replace just the fronts or do all 4 have to be done at once? I like the comfortable ride so I won't be messing with the springs. Thoughts??? Thanks in advance.
JP

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Will do. Been without my baby for a day and half getting the arms changed and maybe back to the shop again next week to check this new issue. My wife will not be happy since I am quite grumpy when my car is being worked on.

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
A broken swaybar mount will affect turning in either direction, not to say it isn't broken though. I would check to see if the top of the strut is leaking. If you bounce the car you may hear squishing noises from the strut. You can just replace fronts or rears as pairs but I don't recommend it, should do all 4.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. Really dred replacing the rears if I don't have to. Can't stand the thought of a mechanic ripping up the back interior of my vehicle to get a shock installed.

·
763 Posts
Thank you. Really dred replacing the rears if I don't have to. Can't stand the thought of a mechanic ripping up the back interior of my vehicle to get a shock installed.

It is a piece of cake.. just take your time, we're doing my PSS9's this weekend.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Just my two cents, but don't think I saw it written, you did get the alignment checked and possibly corrected after the new front sus parts, right?

Edit - Yes, you did actually...missed it, sorry.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Sway bar mounts can be replaced without touching the interior. My car exhibited similar symptoms when I bought it; turned out the passenger bracket was sheared off.

·
763 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Sway bar mounts can be replaced without touching the interior. My car exhibited similar symptoms when I bought it; turned out the passenger bracket was sheared off.

Not true at all - I had to remove my rear seat, rear deck, speakers, rear window glass, trunk lid and radio.

J/K we were talking about shocks and struts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Check your rear stabilizer bar brackets first. The factory, aluminum brackets are very
prone to breaking.

Regards,
Alan
A broken swaybar mount will affect turning in either direction, not to say it isn't broken though. I would check to see if the top of the strut is leaking. If you bounce the car you may hear squishing noises from the strut. You can just replace fronts or rears as pairs but I don't recommend it, should do all 4.

Not true at all - I had to remove my rear seat, rear deck, speakers, rear window glass, trunk lid and radio.

J/K we were talking about shocks and struts
ouich

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Beast is back!

Hi guys. Thanks for all your help. The left pull is gone and the diving to the left when turning hard right is gone. It was the alignment. When I got my car back from the Indy the car still leaned slightly to the left and the steering wheel was off center to the left when the wheels were straight. I did a search and found similar symptons on the forum and the advice to just take the vehicle back to the Indy and have them redo the alignment. I did just that and my numbers are quite different from the first. The leaning is gone and the steering wheel is straight. All is well with the Beast except I need to new front tires and I found a busted bushing on the rear control arm which the indy somehow missed during his inspection. I had asked the tech to check the rear suspension from the jump and he said it was fine. So today while he had it on a lift, I used a flashlight to inspect the rear suspension and sure enough the left rear control arm bushing was cracked and leaking some dark oil. We'll get that changed and I'll go ahead and purchase the right arm also. This forum is incredible. Thanks guys for all your help. It really feels good to go to your indy and know more about how to repair your vehicle then they do thanks to the forum and the incredible knowledge of the members.
Cheers,
JP

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually I am sure that changing all 4 control arms was the true cure but a bad alignment can cause all kinds of problems. Yes, makes no sense but I am very happy. Took it for a nice spin to the range and worked on my swing. All is well and ready to hit the links this Saturday:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts