BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Disreputable business practice - Fast Attack Motorsports

41K views 193 replies 50 participants last post by  Bmw-m5-2005 
#1 · (Edited)
I highly urge that anyone considering making a purchase with @jcolley at Fast Attack Motorsports, whether it's for S85/S65 parts or the FAMS tune, not purchase anything from him.. at least not until he can prove he's got his **** together.

I placed an order with him mid-December for S85 rod bearings, ARP rod bolts, oil pump chain tensioner, and rod bearing parts swap kit. He's never answered his phone... ever.. and it seems it now just goes straight to voicemail. The only instances of communication I've received from Jim were: an email he answered the same day of purchase and a PM he happened to answer about 4 weeks ago, stating my order would shipping the following week. Other than that, no answer to the multiple emails I've sent looking for an update both before and after that PM, and no answers form his phone.

All I can say is WTF. I didn't expect this type of behavior from someone so highly regarded on this forum. There is ZERO excuse for it. I don't care if your grandma died.. there's no excuse for it. These aren't low dollar items you wouldn't care about if you happened to get screwed. If you have personal issues and you can't fulfill your duties as a business owner, someone else should be there to do it, but the very least amount of courtesy would be to put out a statement that you're having issues.

As a business owner, there is absolutely no excuse for refusing to communicate. If you want to destroy your reputation and your business, the best way to do that would be to take your customers' money, not be able to fulfill their order, and then refuse to communicate with them about it. Nothing will piss off a customer more than lack of communication.

I'm your customer @jcolley. I'm not some f'ing bank you took a $1000 loan from. Reach out to me so we can sort this out, please.

Screenshots below. And yes, I've posted this discussion in a couple parts of this forum because I want it to be seen.

See less See more
#77 ·
Nice! How long did it take and did you drive it there? I almost pulled the trigger for the 5.5 but ultimately I have to pull back and went with a conventional rod bearing job on mine. I needed some work done at my house. Troy even gave me a great offer for my core exchange. Maybe in a couple of years I will make that trip and drop it off at his shop..

#81 ·
Does anyone know someone in the UK that has recently paid for this 4th stroker Engine that JIM does not have the parts for? Jim has submarined on everyone let's be real clear here about the circumstances. Look at his website everything is taken down. When you have 3-qty $25,000 engines you owe people, a $10,000 dct swap job using a transmission someone else owns without their permission, etc. This is not an "out to sea" situation. This is a submarine situation and that has nothing to do with the navy it has to do with fraud. Whoever this 4th guy is that paid for a stroker engine, he is purchasing an engine that will never ship for one, secondly if it were to ship it would be with parts paid for by a guy in San Francisco in 2016, then again a guy in San Francisco in 2018, then again by a customer in Seattle in November 2018 who happens to be a lawyer. Fortunately, all of these people they are in contact with each other - minus the 4th stroker customer in the UK which unfortunately was sold an engine out of desperation and fraud.

Now I sat around and did nothing about the $18,000 Jim owed me from when he started his business. I swallowed my pride, I figured Jim could use it more than I can I make that in one week. I kept silent for years, Only to enable someone to rip off 4 or 5 more people to the tune in excess of $100,000.

Jim has wiped his website clean of items he could sell or has sold, he should never take another order again, and needs to start packing up and working on paying these people back with the assets he has in his business or his newly renovated house from the loans he received from me and his other customers previously mentioned. For him to have recently taken payment for a 4th stroker engine to a guy in the UK. This is straight criminal.

Jim will never post on here, because he cannot defend himself from any of this information it is all true and he hopefully is ashamed of himself. Maybe not, I would not be surprised he has taken the victim mentality with everything he has ever communicated to me in the past 4-years.

Go to maine, recoup what you can, while you can. That is what I have advised of everyone that has contacted me and they have plans in order to do so.

Attachments

#85 ·
Wow this is so sad to read. Hopefully Jim can resolve all this. To anyone who lost funds buying headers I'd be more than willing to help you get a set of Rms headers at a discount.
Very sad indeed as I recommended ALL my header customers go to Jim and Jim only for tunes

#87 ·
Take a long hard look at my headers and those (which now are unavailable). The welding quality between what I offer and others is night and day. All photos of the headers coated and uncoated are available on my Instagram: Rmsfabryan

#90 ·
Troy did you improve your business practices? asking cause I remember many similar threads about your business, multiple username, unhappy customer chasing you for money and so on... With only difference Jim always stayed neutral in those posts

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
True. I respect both sellers highly and they both contributed greatly to our s85 community. I've heard bad stories about troy, and read lots of them in the past and about Jim as well. Very few about troy lately, apparently dozens about Jim. I've bought the tune 2 weeks ago and received the tracking number within 4 days. Talked some with Jim the last 6 months via messenger, and there were several moments of radio silence. Everytime it was because he was at Sea with no reception. No clue what's going on now, and no idea why there are several people with problems concerning his business. I can't talk bad about him and he seems like a stand up guy. He needs to get this stuff sortened out though .

I don't think its professional to talk bad about your competitors or people in the same business. I never heard jim talk bad about you, and held you in high regards. Keep stuff between you two between you two and resolve it. Don't go talking bad about one another on here, that's far from proffesional.

#92 ·
So no more FAM tunes huh?? This is mind-boggling and don't take it has me adding more fuel to fire but the evidence is pretty jarring. I was just about to ship my car to Maine last month but went dealer route instead. I hope we hear something back soon wouldn't like it to end this way.

#93 ·
I do not have any competitors for one and i helped Jim start his business. I got screwed out of $18,000 from me which enabled him to get to this point of screwing the people he has screwed. And I have built over 500 of these S85 in 8-years of business, let alone other builds.

And no. I still don't answer the phone much. Haven't changed much, and never will. People are just patient and they know if that want the best they will wait for their spot in line.

#94 ·
At this point fellas, you’re on notice from so many of us with first hand knowledge. These aren’t rumors. And no one is saying take your needs over to Troy. Look, I relied on this board and Jim’s rep on the board to go with him for a stroker build. I was scammed out 20k but was able to get my money back not through Jim but through my bank. I was lucky. Many of you who have paid won’t be. I gave Jim a chance to explain himself but he failed. Take all of this as you will. Jim is no longer active Navy. He is not out at sea. As best as I can tell he works a desk at NAV Civilian in the Boston area most likely.

#113 · (Edited)
I've sent my stock file for his tune on Jan 27 (I've actually made the purchase back on Oct 9th...so yea. You see where this is going. I wouldn't fault him 100% for dragging it out this far, but the initial delay caused a chain of events of about a 2 week delay on my end due to me moving to a new house). Followed up on Feb 12 due to no reaponse and I still have not heard back from him. Really hoping to get a response from him in the next few days before I call the credit card company as I've already sent a dispute last year when the delay happened. Things happen and thankfully the tune is not absolutely needed for me to drive it, so I was willing to wait longer for Jim to sort out his problems. I can def. see how frustrating it would be for the car to be up on jackstands for months due to the delays (it happened to my other car before as well. I had to get a tow truck to tow it to storage when I deployed oversees for 2 years).

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

#96 ·
This is the entire point of the thread. Jesus Christ! Jim takes your money, you don’t get your order, it delayed or some other sob story, and maybe you do get it way late but that was because someone else paid him money so he could actually place an order for your part. Rinse repeat.

#98 ·
At the time in April 2019. I offered him a job, and an interview at dinan (driven racing brands contacted me to buy my business), but he had to turn it down. At that time, he had $26k from Kevin, $26k from den, 20.5k from Dave, $10k from Richard for dct swap. That is $73,000 between the 4 guys. Jim could not walk away from that and work for me or get a job at dinan he knew he was doomed.

#104 ·
These thiefs were created by people like most guys from the US who do not want to understand that running effectively and econimically the remarkable s85 means getting out of your confort zone and get dirty..im an IT guy who using TIS and realoem runs an m5 very cheap...anyone with an average intelligence and some tools could do it.. Jim and Troy lure you into believing that the s85 is space rocket...s85 is a common engine which has 4 more pistons or so.. FAM sold you 700 usd ecu tune...how dumb is that????

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

#106 ·
I don't think it's quite as simple as you're trying to make it sound. As far as I know, there aren't many tunes (if any at all?) that optimize and improve SMG shift characteristics and speed. Can't really comment on Troy's work since I've never had any work done by him, but he seems pretty honest.

While I agree the S85 isn't really a "space rocket", it's flawed in some odd, mostly minor ways and having solid experience working on them and resolving some of those flaws through that experience or through re-engineering is something worth paying for depending on your own capabilities.

#105 ·
Very Interesting read. Unfortunately, there are a few snakes in this forum who don't miss the opportunity to capitalize on someone's downfall. It's plain and simple, do your due diligence when buying parts or sending someone your car. I personally won't be buying from Jim or Troy especially from Troy?.
Researching this forum will furnish an unlimited supply of dramatic stories and their outcomes. I hope OP gets his money back and or parts. ??

#107 · (Edited)
I'm reopening this thread as I feel M5/6 owners deserve to be informed of what's going on with one of the most important suppliers for our platform.

I don't recall seeing threads about Troy's practices getting locked, so neither should this one.

One caveat: Troy @Jeuprx-8 you've made your point so further bashing will be deleted. You seem super excited about what's going on. At least Jim stayed away from the many threads complaining about your business.

#108 ·
Thanks for keeping it open. The whole situation is just really disheartening for such a small community dedicated to niche car but it's good to have issues see the light of day so people know.

I'm not advocating for Jim or making excuses for anyone else really, but we are all in this same boat of masochistic S85 ownership together (compared to most cars). It sucks to see people turn on each other / taking sides and what not.

Granted I'm personally not out any money here, and I know I'd be a lot more heated if I was, but I do really wish that things get worked out between all affected parties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.