BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
These thiefs were created by people like most guys from the US who do not want to understand that running effectively and econimically the remarkable s85 means getting out of your confort zone and get dirty..im an IT guy who using TIS and realoem runs an m5 very cheap...anyone with an average intelligence and some tools could do it.. Jim and Troy lure you into believing that the s85 is space rocket...s85 is a common engine which has 4 more pistons or so.. FAM sold you 700 usd ecu tune...how dumb is that????

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very Interesting read. Unfortunately, there are a few snakes in this forum who don't miss the opportunity to capitalize on someone's downfall. It's plain and simple, do your due diligence when buying parts or sending someone your car. I personally won't be buying from Jim or Troy especially from Troy🤣.
Researching this forum will furnish an unlimited supply of dramatic stories and their outcomes. I hope OP gets his money back and or parts. 😎👊

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
These thiefs were created by people like most guys from the US who do not want to understand that running effectively and econimically the remarkable s85 means getting out of your confort zone and get dirty..im an IT guy who using TIS and realoem runs an m5 very cheap...anyone with an average intelligence and some tools could do it.. Jim and Troy lure you into believing that the s85 is space rocket...s85 is a common engine which has 4 more pistons or so.. FAM sold you 700 usd ecu tune...how dumb is that????

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
I don't think it's quite as simple as you're trying to make it sound. As far as I know, there aren't many tunes (if any at all?) that optimize and improve SMG shift characteristics and speed. Can't really comment on Troy's work since I've never had any work done by him, but he seems pretty honest.

While I agree the S85 isn't really a "space rocket", it's flawed in some odd, mostly minor ways and having solid experience working on them and resolving some of those flaws through that experience or through re-engineering is something worth paying for depending on your own capabilities.

·
1,841 Posts
I'm reopening this thread as I feel M5/6 owners deserve to be informed of what's going on with one of the most important suppliers for our platform.

I don't recall seeing threads about Troy's practices getting locked, so neither should this one.

One caveat: Troy @Jeuprx-8 you've made your point so further bashing will be deleted. You seem super excited about what's going on. At least Jim stayed away from the many threads complaining about your business.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for keeping it open. The whole situation is just really disheartening for such a small community dedicated to niche car but it's good to have issues see the light of day so people know.

I'm not advocating for Jim or making excuses for anyone else really, but we are all in this same boat of masochistic S85 ownership together (compared to most cars). It sucks to see people turn on each other / taking sides and what not.

Granted I'm personally not out any money here, and I know I'd be a lot more heated if I was, but I do really wish that things get worked out between all affected parties.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
From what i have heard the only way to get upfront money paid to Jim returned is to have paid via credit card and one still is inside the charge back window time wise

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wait, so I should do a chargeback on my purchase? Jesus.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Wait, so I should do a chargeback on my purchase? Jesus.

If you send an email to Jim and you don't get a response back from him within a day, then, yes, I would recommend it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you send an email to Jim and you don't get a response back from him within a day, then, yes, I would recommend it.
I've sent it multiple times. I'll send it again before I jump on that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I emailed Jim about a tune 2/2 through his website and he responded 2/8.

Kinda surprising to see this thread because everyone seems to vouch for FAMS all over this forum.
I've sent my stock file for his tune on Jan 27 (I've actually made the purchase back on Oct 9th...so yea. You see where this is going. I wouldn't fault him 100% for dragging it out this far, but the initial delay caused a chain of events of about a 2 week delay on my end due to me moving to a new house). Followed up on Feb 12 due to no reaponse and I still have not heard back from him. Really hoping to get a response from him in the next few days before I call the credit card company as I've already sent a dispute last year when the delay happened. Things happen and thankfully the tune is not absolutely needed for me to drive it, so I was willing to wait longer for Jim to sort out his problems. I can def. see how frustrating it would be for the car to be up on jackstands for months due to the delays (it happened to my other car before as well. I had to get a tow truck to tow it to storage when I deployed oversees for 2 years).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Anyone have any luck getting ahold of Jim? People are posting on his FB page now looking for him as well... I purchased everything to do rod bearings in July and they were on back order until october... then we decided to get the car to him in April to do bearings (cars in storage for winter). Been trying to get ahold of him the past couple weeks... same boat as everyone else and potentially out $1800.
At this point, I think the best thing you can do is file a claim with your bank (even though it's pretty late) and point them to this thread for their investigation. Go fetch your car immediately. The sooner the better.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Anyone have any luck getting ahold of Jim? People are posting on his FB page now looking for him as well... I purchased everything to do rod bearings in July and they were on back order until october... then we decided to get the car to him in April to do bearings (cars in storage for winter). Been trying to get ahold of him the past couple weeks... same boat as everyone else and potentially out $1800.
I got an email from Jim on Saturday, he's still alive and kicking. Told me he's working on his backlog, but that's about all I can say at this point.

101 - 120 of 166 Posts