BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 194 Posts
This sucks, to hear. I've not purchased anything from him but was looking forward to getting his tune and the SMG wiring service he provides as well.

This is an unfortunate issue. I have been one of the fortunate ones and got our items on time. But I also hope Jim is okay and nothing happened to him and his personal life. Hope to hear from him so these issues can be resolved.

I ran a one man band business and it can be difficult. Jim may not be the only person working a FAMS but he is the only one I have gotten reply's from. His level of knowledge and passion can not be substituted. I would not say communication has been easy or quick but it has taken place and I am thrilled with his tune. While there is no excuse for lack of communication but in this age it can be a flood that will never end. While I hope it works out in the end Jim is not responsible for your personal issues any more that you are responsible for his.

@pmalik I remember reading something Jim had posted back in September (I think?) about some big changes coming early 2020 regarding FAMS, but he didn't specify further what that actually meant. It would seem logical, though, that if you have a loyal customer base that respects you, you would keep them in the loop about anything that may affect them receiving their order... whether it's supplier issues or financial issues. At least then it would give guys the decision to bear with him and feel secure that they're respected as a customer. Some guys on here are willing to wait months for parts because it's maybe not a pressing issue. Even more likely, I'm sure guys here would be willing to pay for an FAMS tune in advance if for some reason it was supporting Jim while enabling him to release it quicker. Transparency is important when you're running a business.. Even when it's somewhat shameful. On the other end of the spectrum, ghosting your customers is the fastest way to a permanently bad reputation.
I agree with your point about transparency with your customers...it goes without saying really. I have a FAMS tune (it's excellent) and I also ordered the full BE rod bearing package (new oil squirters, all the neccessary hardware ect) from Jim. I had similar issues to what you and others have experienced, it was very frustrating but everything did eventually work out in the end (with substantial delays). Jim and a few other members on here are some of the few remaining people with the technical prowess, knowledge, and dedication to the s85 platform. I hope for everyone's sake that everything gets made right with your order. Hang in there.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
@specialized2010 @Alan Arnesen The issue with the email server is that, firstly, he should have at least one other reliable form of communication. If I leave a message on his phone, it should be returned within a reasonable time. And now, his phone no longer rings, but goes straight to voicemail. And honestly, if you're having that many issues with an email server, use a Gmail account temporarily ffs... It's not an excuse. As I mentioned before, I know the stress associated with running a lean business... especially when you're getting it off the ground. Supplier issues happen. Cash flow issues happen. Issues getting a line of credit with suppliers happen. All of these things and similar things happen and they're frustrating to both you and the customer and they cause delays. I'm empathetic in all those regards because I've been there. Not communicating those issues, however, isn't an option.

Don't really have a dog in this fight yet but hoping this all can get corrected some how. We do need reliable and trustworthy vendors we can go to which at times appear to be far and few in this category. Jim always seemed to be an avid aficionado and expert in his craft. Something is way off!

I can still see your address bud...not that i care, but it seems like you do.

Call up your bank , dispute the charge and move on. It sucks but there is bad sellers everywhere way too much dramma to me...

Discussion starter · #31 ·
@Al59751 I honestly don't care. Charge has already disputed as well.

But, honestly, it's not too much drama.. that's bs. It's important. If even one person had posted on this forum that they had similar issues, then I likely would have played it safe and sourced parts from elsewhere since I'm not in the best position to be waiting months for parts. There are plenty of people on here that have had similar issues, but none of it was brought to light.

So, anyone in the future that may want to purchase from FAMS now has this as a resource to look upon and decide whether they would like to proceed with making a purchase.

With all that being said, I'll reiterate that my esteem of Jim as a person and with regard to his contributions on this forum are totally unrelated to my distaste for his business practices.

I don't really have anything else to say regarding this issue, so I guess everyone can rest in peace that the drama is over.

Really curious now what is going on. Don't know him personally but just looking at the forums he seemed to be very responsive and an active member.

I don't even know what to say at this point. It's not fraud, I truly don't believe there's any malicious intent, but to say it's incredibly frustrating would be an understatement. Just be glad most of you guys are "only" out some parts or time.

As far as any reasoning, the last time I talked to Jim (late December / early January) he mentioned some upcoming over seas training and work, that's the only thing I can figure at this point.

Discussion starter · #36 ·
I don't even know what to say at this point. It's not fraud, I truly don't believe there's any malicious intent, but to say it's incredibly frustrating would be an understatement. Just be glad most of you guys are "only" out some parts or time.

As far as any reasoning, the last time I talked to Jim (late December / early January) he mentioned some upcoming over seas training and work, that's the only thing I can figure at this point.
To be clear, I don't really think it's fraud either... I think it's favoring willful negligence over communication of difficulties.. And that's an easy thing to do when you're under pressure. The thread title is just meant to grab attention... hence the exclamation marks. When I first started this thread, I wanted to make sure it screamed flashing red lights and sirens so it actually got attention and didn't get buried.

However, there have been guys that gave him far, FAR, more money than I and had to go through the same process disputing the charge with their bank. They may feel differently than you or I.

This forum isn't busy enough to warrant click bait tactics for folks to see a thread.

Discussion starter · #38 ·
This forum isn't busy enough to warrant click bait tactics for folks to see a thread.
With respect, you're not the one who's out $1000 and you're certainly not out $20,000 like another guy on here that pm'ed me. I really don't care what you think.

It's not click bait. If you don't want to read, then don't. I've brought an issue to light that a sizeable amount of other people on this forum have experienced, but haven't reported, probably because Jim is so highly regarded... and it's a big deal. I'm not whining about something unwarranted. I honestly don't care if you call it fraud or whatever semantic spin you want to put on it. It's bad business practice.. It's willfully neglectful at a minimum, and it's just plain wrong and irresponsible.

With respect, you're not the one who's out $1000 and you're certainly not out $20,000 like another guy on here that pm'ed me.
I wish you were right.

21 - 40 of 194 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.