BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2006 M5, last week upon startup the center display did not come up. I also had the SOS with a line through it on the cluster display. I restarted the car with no luck in clearing the problem...car drove fine. The next day I started and the same issues except about 10 min later the display came on like I had just started the car. It recycled a few times..almost like a short. Anybody else have this issue? I have an appointment at Sun Motors in PA this week. More when I find out.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You mean the iDrive display? If so, was the iDrive knob "slack?"

If so, I have the same problem. Took to dealer and they "fixed it" via software upgrade last week--- except it didn't fix anything. Now I have to go back. If yours is broken consistently, count yourself lucky. Mine in intermintent.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
CCC failure

Sounds like a CCC failure. A search will give you enough info to decide whether your difficulties fit.

·
Registered
188 Posts
have same issue. Since my software upgrade in November to the then-latest software, it happened already 4 times the display did not come on an no radio/gps/tv whatever worked, not even ejecting DVD/CD. Just switch car off, get out, lock it, open it again, an it worked. Last time I was in Germany after a fuelstop, and I needed the GPS to get on! NOT funny. Mine is scheduled to go back and they should sort it out before my 2 year warranty expires end of April!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I sometimes have this issue. The IDrive screen totally black on startup.. and restarting doesnt work.

To resolve it in the short term, disconnect the battery and touch the positive terminal cable to the negative terminal cable and let it sit like that for 5 min or so to drain the entire system. Reconnect the battery and the start the car...the screen should come on now. If it doesnt then repeat.

If it keeps happening, complain to your service center.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been told that if you leave the car off for 15-20 minutes it should reset completely also. I had the problem a little over a year ago and a software upgrade did the trick.

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
I had this several times, had a software upgrade which temporarily rectified it but ultimately it died on me completely and ended up getting a whole new CCC (iDrive unit) and not had a problem since.

I also had a situation where the iDrive would boot normally but then keep rebooting itself whilst driving along, I took a video and put it on youtube:
CCC Failure
<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1uvtORKtCLY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

You could also try pressing the rotary volume knob and both eject buttons simultaneously to force a CCC reboot. This sometimes works to fix glitches or hangs in iDrive when it's booted but may help clear an iDrive that won't boot.

With problems like this I find it best to grab a video of it on your mobile phone or camera to show the dealer when you take the car in, these intermittent problems have a habit of clearing themselves as you turn onto the dealer's forecourt.:grrrrr:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a similar situation. 08 M5 with less than 1100 miles. I was driving and tried to switch between iPod (Aux) and FM. The entire system locked up. I could not use any function of the IDrive nor the program button on the steering wheel. Voice control did not work either. Turned the car off for a minute and restarted with same situation. I knew I was going in for the 1200 mile service soon so just left it. The next day it was fine. At the 1200 mile service my SA said he could not replicate the problem and that is all that was done..... No problems since, but it has only been another 60 miles since I had it in.

·
Registered
218 Posts
In my brief stint with my '07 550, I had this happen a couple of times in about 10K miles. I wasn't too worried as I work with computers all day long, and I just chalk it up to a software screw up. It happens with my computers and my Blackberry, and a little reset takes care of it. If it is happening at more rapid rate, I would get worried, and have the software either updated or re-installed.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Happens to me too. I was very fortunate to have this happen as I picked up a friend at the dealership. I immediately called out my SA and showed her so that they cannot say that they "could not replicate."

Usually, just let the car sleep for 20 min and everything is fine. It has been happening more now.

Make them document that this is an INTERMITTENT problem. If you are near warranty's end, at least if this happens afterwards, it can be traced to them not fixing it properly the 1st time around. Otherwise, it could be very costly out of wallet for a new CCC.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Leave the car off > 20 minutes will reset a minor failure.

Software patch is the next step, then CCC replacement.

Interestingly my dealership/BMW PUMA wanted to know if I had paired a phone with Bluetooth, and if so, what make and model.

·
Registered
77 Posts
it happened to me too..its been 3 times now..like everyone said, leave the car for 15-20 minutes and it should work again. I will contact the dealer once it happen again. please keep update for this thread.Thanks :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on IDrive MFD failure

Thanks for all the post...I had the car scheduled in a couple days, so I continued to drive it and the IDrive continued to fail even if I left the car overnight and for a couple hours. The dealer has replaced the CCC. But I dont have the car back yet due to the Vanos lines.

I have to search the board for what that all entails. But as far as the IDrive is concerned, I heard what I thought was shorting out above my right foot...finally the IDrive would not even boot. But I did exactly like some had mentioned, took out the Black Berry and started taking pictures of the faults and the black screen...did not want to deal with the could not duplicate routine, although Sun Motors in Mechanicburg PA has never used that line and in fact they are a class A dealership...highly recommend.

Thanks B1WSO:cheers:

·
Registered
331 Posts
it happened to me too..its been 3 times now..like everyone said, leave the car for 15-20 minutes and it should work again. I will contact the dealer once it happen again. please keep update for this thread.Thanks :)
not everyone said this. i posted that i need to occassionaly disconnect battery for 5-10 min in order for the screen to come back on. many times, i have not been able to get it to come back on by simply shutting car off off for 15-20 min.

anyone else need to disconnect battery ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on failure

Sun BMW replaced the CC, no issues since then. Also they had to replace the NAV DVD as it was stuck in the system. Lastly, the new CC and maybe the latest software gave me more info on the radio display.:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
just discovered as I had it today that actually my Blackberry (8820) was PAIRED over bluetooth to the BMW while the whole BMW system was dead, and I could not hear anything when called/calling as it was transferring the sound over to a black hole! So I think it may be related to this...

·
Registered
104 Posts
i think it may be related to bluetooth as well.

it happened to me for the first time soon after I turned bluetooth ON to pair with my iPhone

·
Registered
93 Posts
I may agree with the possible relationship to the bluetooth. This morning I played a single CD, which I never do. I have an iPod adapter and when I wanted to switch back to iPod, it was no longer an option. I ejected the single CD and then I could select my iPod.
I parked my car and went to an appointment. I tried to call out on my cell phone while inside, 100 feet away from my locked car and I couldn't hear anything, just like when you are paired to bluetooth. I went outside, unlocked and re-locked my car but still nothing. I turned off my phone and back on and all was well..
I then drove to the car wash, everything seemed fine, when they were done I got in my car and the display on the left side was stuck on the greeting / warning screen that comes on when you start the car and the Nav side was black. My iDrive knob turned regular with no freespin, but I had to use the voice commands to select my radio and then the iDrive knob would change channels, I just couldn't see them.
So, I drove to the dealer and they wanted to keep my car, possible ccc failure, but I made an appointment for Tuesday.. I am sure it is the ccc, ipod adapter vs CD, a software glitch or bluetooth issue.. lol Pick one...
I got back in my car to leave the dealer 5 minutes later and the display seemed to have reset to the brown screen and everything is working fine now... Hummmmm.....?? I get tired of fighting with my car all the time.
We should have a smiley that depicts my head banging against a wall.
cherrsagai:1zhelp::dunno:eek:uich:confused:

·
Registered
188 Posts
mine has to go back next week, to get a new new CCC as they cannot find the fault, they did say the unit refused to get reprogrammed for an unknown reason, dunno if that was related to the issue

1 - 20 of 26 Posts