BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed stage 1 package for 2014 m5 3 weeks ago, cost-$3499, labor $400. Dinan now charges $2999. Guess why? Because there is no noticeable hp gain, although they claim +91 gain. I have spent over $50,000 with this company over a 10 year period with 6 M cars. When I questioned them over this pricing practice and my disappointment over the seemingly lack of performance, I got a "we'll get back to you." No response yet. Price is probably heading lower. Most company's have this piggyback mod for less than half this price. And it may be with a company that gives a crap about their customers. BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Sorry to hear. Nothing worse than shelling out cash for performance mods and not getting what you were promised. I was planning to do the Stage 2 on my 2015 when they get the electronic waste gate figured out. Not so sure now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Unfortunately this is not the only story I have read of Dinantronics Stage 1 buyers not feeling much difference after getting it.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Why would you even bother with Dinan now that a real tune is available
Warranty. I know Dinan is always more money for not as much performance but it's not that important to me (anymore) to risk losing a motor for some extra power. I had a HPF Turbo on my E46 M3 and went through 3 motors in no time. Just not going down that road again. If the Dinan Stage 2 tune offers a reasonable bump in power I'll probably do it. If not the car is plenty fast as is for me for a 4 door daily driver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update on stage 1 upgrade

Dinan rep called today with news that " Steve Dinan thinks he can get more hp out of this tune" and offered to upgrade my car once the remap was done. I feel they have had complaints and are working on making improvements. I appreciated the call.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Warranty. I know Dinan is always more money for not as much performance but it's not that important to me (anymore) to risk losing a motor for some extra power. I had a HPF Turbo on my E46 M3 and went through 3 motors in no time. Just not going down that road again. If the Dinan Stage 2 tune offers a reasonable bump in power I'll probably do it. If not the car is plenty fast as is for me for a 4 door daily driver.
Any half decent tuner would offer a warranty on their Tune.

My custom tune is fully warranted so if for any reason BMW didn't play ball the Tuner would step in. Agree you pay more for a quality product but mine was £1750 + VAT for 691bhp & a full warranty so does kind of make the Dinan offering look poor & expensive.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Any half decent tuner would offer a warranty on their Tune.

My custom tune is fully warranted so if for any reason BMW didn't play ball the Tuner would step in. Agree you pay more for a quality product but mine was £1750 + VAT for 691bhp & a full warranty so does kind of make the Dinan offering look poor & expensive.
Who did the tune Paul please, thanks.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Reactions: johnbmw6

·
Registered
201 Posts
This Dinan [lack of power] stuff is nothing new...this has been going on for YEARS!!!

People paid for the name and I guess for the warranty, oh and a little extra for the stick on plate on the rear truck lid, but performance wise, 9 times out of 10, other tuners usually outperform their tunes and don't blow up.

I currently live near two Dinan dealer locations and had friends who visited these locations for their E60 M5 power needs and in the end, they both felt shortchanged in the power department...ROI (return on investment) was terrible!

Sadly, one day, one of these buddy and I decided to take our cars into one of these Dinan shop to dyno our cars - his Dinan tuned M5 was weak compared to mine. Granted, every car is different, however, a fellow with his little daughter watched us as we conducted our little experiment; he walked over and shared the results of his vehicle which was in line with my buddy’s outcome. He too paid a mini fortune compare to my cost and in the end, I got far more performance and without any failures; to this day all is well. We will do the same for our F10 M5, but this time we are going there to just verify projected outcome under their dyno…he now has a tune from another vendor outside Dinan’s umbrella.

I will not mention the name of my past and current tuner since I do not want to start a freaking tuners war. I think our little experiment may not surprise some folks; especially those in the know.

Yes, Dinan have some nice suspension pieces, exhaust and wheels, but even those items can be had by other vendors and end up with the same or better performance and often for far less money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update on Dinan stage F10 M5

I must respond to Hard5's comments and as a follow up on my Dinantronics piggyback tune. Dinan just remapped their original tune and now state their hp is 695. I had my tune remapped this week and the difference is night and day. I have not had it dyno'd but from a butt feel standpoint, the car is noticeably faster and pulls harder throughout the rpm range. I've had many performance cars and tuned all of them and this new remapping seems to be as good as any other tune that I've experienced. I think Dinan knew they had a problem with their original tune and this recent remap seemed to correct that issue.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I must respond to Hard5's comments and as a follow up on my Dinantronics piggyback tune. Dinan just remapped their original tune and now state their hp is 695. I had my tune remapped this week and the difference is night and day. I have not had it dyno'd but from a butt feel standpoint, the car is noticeably faster and pulls harder throughout the rpm range. I've had many performance cars and tuned all of them and this new remapping seems to be as good as any other tune that I've experienced. I think Dinan knew they had a problem with their original tune and this recent remap seemed to correct that issue.

Actually the new Dinan software updates for Stage 2 DINANTRONICS brings the HP to 705 (up from 680) and TRQ to 651. Waiting to have it installed. It's a free update.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Good deal to OP...glad to hear that you're happy. :M5rev:

The best way to really test would be to dyno/test both tunes (Dinan vs. other tuner) on the same dyno, same day and same car...that would be a very expensive test, but would be the only true way to measure RWHP gains. :eek:

As far as the real world, you can run them at the track (1/4 mile and/or mile) looking at elapsed times and MPH - switch drivers/lanes and so on and then see which car wins. :15:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts