BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,
I am shopping for my Beast and visited one at a dealer yesterday. Black on Black - just as I want.

The exterior looked good, but I noticed that the inside of the driver's seat leather on the door side looked discolored and worn. Is this normal as you slide in and out over the large bolster? (Are you seeing the same kind of wear on your seats?) Can it be fixed? (Based on my experience with my 535, once the leather shows aging like this, there isn't much you can do but minimize how obvious it is by using leather conditioner.) The same seat on the center console side had a white spot which looked like chalk. The salesman claims that detailing will make it all better. I am not so sure.

Also a dumb question. This is a CPO car. Is there any need to have my mechanic check it out? Or can I be confident that everything is okay, or at least the dealer will make it okay?

Thank you all for your help and for sharing your experience.
Best Wishes,
Alfred

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
Stickman said:
Hello Everybody,
I am shopping for my Beast and visited one at a dealer yesterday. Black on Black - just as I want.

The exterior looked good, but I noticed that the inside of the driver's seat leather on the door side looked discolored and worn. Is this normal as you slide in and out over the large bolster? (Are you seeing the same kind of wear on your seats?) Can it be fixed? (Based on my experience with my 535, once the leather shows aging like this, there isn't much you can do but minimize how obvious it is by using leather conditioner.) The same seat on the center console side had a white spot which looked like chalk. The salesman claims that detailing will make it all better. I am not so sure.

Also a dumb question. This is a CPO car. Is there any need to have my mechanic check it out? Or can I be confident that everything is okay, or at least the dealer will make it okay?

Thank you all for your help and for sharing your experience.
Best Wishes,
Alfred
Wear is normal. I had my caramel interior touched up and you can't tell where it was done. Black should be easier.

Have your mech check the car. A lot of folks who had CPO were not happy with the inspection results. Time to get things fixed is before you pay your $$$; afterwards, dealer doesn't have much incentive.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
400 Posts
Even with a CPO, this kind of a car needs a qualified independent evaluation, if for no other reason than your own piece of mind. Before purchase, you should insist that the oil be changed. If the car has close to 50K miles I would also be adamant that the "lifetime" transmission lubricant be changed. OIl change interval lights and lifetime tranny lube are bad ideas.

I think I know what sort of chalk looking defect you refer to with resect to the leather. I think you know yourself that the "detail" will be nothing more than a leather treatment , which will hide the defect, for a couple of weeks at best.

As gsfent has already said, redoing the leather should not be too big of an ordeal if the rest of the car is acceptable. My car is a 2000 model, has just passed 30K miles but the leather is amazingly pristine still, and it has the full leather interior. A deep black with clean gray inserts, and I attend to it every couple of months to make sure it stays that way.

·
Registered
369 Posts
gsfent said:
Wear is normal. I had my caramel interior touched up and you can't tell where it was done. Black should be easier.

Have your mech check the car. A lot of folks who had CPO were not happy with the inspection results. Time to get things fixed is before you pay your $$$; afterwards, dealer doesn't have much incentive.
Regards,
Jerry
How did you get it touched up?

·
Registered
13,011 Posts
lwebb12 said:
How did you get it touched up?
Turns out the guy that does dentless removal also does leather coloring. He does it by eye, mixed up a batch and treated drivers seat bolster, spot on passenger seat and front door pulls. He also pulled out one dent and did the whole thing for $150 at my office. He also does it for a lot of the dealers in town. I got the referral from my SA.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Definetly go with the independent third party inspection. I would have the dealer fix (recondition) the leather, along with all other imperfections. Since the car is CPO the dealer should do all the minor repairs as part of the sale deal. I'm sure they want to make the sale. Good Luck:flag:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts