BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have the oem brakedisc on the car and they need to be replaced but what other disc are there for the M5 except the oem disc??????

I don't want the clippers be replaced just the disc and brake pads

And are there shops near holland???

best regards???

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Have a look at Zeckhausen Racing among the board sponsors at the top of the web-page.

He has everything in terms of brakes for M5s.

David

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
But can you use the stoptech rotor with the oem clipers?
When the oem rotors have worn out I want to get the stoptech rotors and pads

Or is it only possible with the complete set:confused:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
divere said:
But can you use the stoptech rotor with the oem clipers?
When the oem rotors have worn out I want to get the stoptech rotors and pads

Or is it only possible with the complete set:confused:
'calipers' not clippers, I believe-
and rotors not discs

Unless there is something specific you are looking to achieve, I'd recommend stock rotors and pads. The rotor is not a significant factor in the overall performance- plus the stoptech rotor is for the stoptec caliper.

If you want, you can change pads and retain stock calipers and rotors- but only if something about the stock setup is not working for your use.

There really is no NEED to make modifications for the sake of modification- change it if the stock is unsatisfactory.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ard said:
'calipers' not clippers, I believe-
and rotors not discs

sorry fot that I did't know the extact words

I love the Brembo look with the rotors with the holes in it
but they are a little bit to expensive for me

So are there no other rotors who have the holes in it????
I want the paint the oem calipers and install other rotors and pads

I am not up to date what is on the market and what is good:crying:

And in Holland there is no very much about mods for the M5

·
Registered
213 Posts
ard said:
'and rotors not discs
In the small enclave of Europe just out of the US, Rotors are refered to as discs, as in "brake discs" :7: We have many other strange colloquialisms... Petrol, boot, bonnet, motorway, pavement... ouich

In reference to replacing stock brake discs\rotors, no one to my knowledge do OEM replacements to be used with stock calipers. European M5's use what is known as floating discs, disc & centre bell are seperate with small pegs connecting them... allegedly to aid cooling.

From previous posts on the subject of discs the consensus is that drilled discs will eventually start to crack around the holes and slotted ones will wear pads quickly... Stick to the stock BMW discs\rotors unless you either need the braking power of StopTech\Brembo's or just want the look and can accept the cost implications.

When I first got my M5 I thought the brakes were awful compared with the ones on the MKIV Supra's I had had previously... I liked the idea of the StopTech's but funds prevented their arrival... Eventually the stock pads\discs wore out, and I finally took the plunge and got a new set of OEM discs. Then ordered a set the Axxis deluxe pads & stainless steel hoses from Dave Z (board sponsor) and they made the whole world of difference.

all the best
-Steve

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Rampage said:
In the small enclave of Europe just out of the US, Rotors are refered to as discs, as in "brake discs" :7: We have many other strange colloquialisms... Petrol, boot, bonnet, motorway, pavement... ouich
Europe?
I've heard of that place- a bit East of New York, I'm told...

:)
I was familar with the usage as 'disc brakes', referring to the entire assembly- but never heard just a rotor called the disc. Of course the meaning was clear. Learn something new every day.

A

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
You can't use the brembo disc's with holes because they are larger, however you can use oem sized disk's that have been drilled...I think dave z has um and i know bav auto does...bavauto.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts