BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I ended up buying a module from navtv and it removed the TV block while moving... and the AV channel is if you hook up a DVD player to the radio (nav TV sells a module as well for that), it works great!

·
Registered
776 Posts
ttboyvanc said:
I ended up buying a module from navtv and it removed the TV block while moving... and the AV channel is if you hook up a DVD player to the radio (nav TV sells a module as well for that), it works great!
Where do you plug the dvd and the module, is there a socket somwhere and is it a standard av type? My question is basically can you do it yourself with home-electronics or are they hidden somwhere and the plugs are bmw plugs...

KIP

·
Registered
776 Posts
jeanmarc said:
Is it possible to disable the limit that only allows TV below 3 km/h? And another thing, what's the "AV" channel for in the M5 TV?
Set ignition key to position 2 (where fan, A/C, etc. are on, but you haven't started motor)this not work for me i have to start the engine
Enter TV mode
Enter "Settings"
Enter "Contrast" or "Brightness" for MK II
When the green contrast bar is visible, push the knob and keep it pressed.
Turn ignition key to "OFF" position (while keeping button pressed).
Wait 8 - 10 seconds (accurate timing is important)
Release the knob.
Turn on ignition again.
Now TV will display while car is in motion

works mkI -99, not in newer ones sadly, atleast not in my -00

KIP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ttboyvanc do you have a link to such a tvnav device that I could look at?

KIP thanks for your answer, my M5 is a '01, but it's worth a try, thanks!<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_550763", true); </SCRIPT>

·
Registered
204 Posts
The website I bought the wires from was:

http://www.tvonnav.com

You get the av harness and the tv limit harness, they are a bit pricey, and they plug right into your TV module....

Hope that helps, I tried the unlock procedure for my car like 500 times, to no avail... so ended up getting the harness...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Please explain

"When the green contrast bar is visible, push the knob and keep it pressed."

Can anyone explain which button should I press? I tried the trick with Nav menu knob but can't get it to work. I have mod 99 with MKII

Thanks

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks guys but I thought MKII doesn't need any tools to make TV-in motion work. I think it applies only for US then.

Allar
I have a '99 M5 and have disabled the TV motion check with the button presses noted above.

The real reason for the response is that there is a huge mis-conception about the whole "button combination" vs. "TV-on_Nav cable" that I see propagated regularly on various forums.

Although it is generally correct that the button press will only work on early 2000 or before models, it is NOT the Nav unit that decides, it's the TV module. My button press thing works perfectly well and I'm using a MKIV Nav setup with latest software / perspective view etc. For what it's worth, my car never had a MKI system, I started out with a MKII.

One of the reasons that I won't upgrade the display from 4:3 to 16:9 is that my TV tuner won't operate on the larger screen (99 model year) and the kids watch cartoons every morning on the way to school. In other words, not only do I have to buy the screen, I have to upgrade the TV (Video) module (which are hard to find and just as expensive as the screen) AND then buy a motion disabling cable :eek:

Here's an idea for those that have post-2000 cars with a 4:3 screen that they don't intend to upgrade. Find another owner with the same set up (all E39's come with potentially the same set up depending on options) but with a model year of early 2000 or less and just swap the TV (Video) modules. It's a 2 second swap job and your need for a cable will no longer exist.

:goldcup:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm sure in the destructions that I read it was contrast for one year of car and Brightness for another year of car.
No, but close :)

Contrast is for enabling TV on the go, Brightness is for enabling Teletext on the go (yes, our TV modules do Teletext too! - not sure whether you have that Stateside but it used to be popular in Europe).

·
Registered
805 Posts
Ok I guess I have the newer TV moduel. I followed the steps above and nothing happend :confused: .
I read somewhere befor that the dealer can unprogram the limit for the TV. Has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The website I bought the wires from was:

www.tvonnav.com

You get the av harness and the tv limit harness, they are a bit pricey, and they plug right into your TV module....

Hope that helps, I tried the unlock procedure for my car like 500 times, to no avail... so ended up getting the harness...

What's with the web site??? Its some king of GoDaddy search engine, what's up with that?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Don't waste any money on TVonNav products. if you have an ibus interface (IBUS Interface for BMW cars) or buy one.
Download navcoder (NavCoder Website) and you can code all sorts of things in your car including enabeling tv-in-motion.

The method mentioned above with push buttons is for 1st generation video modules that came standard with MKI equipped cars and works in 4:3 format only. AFAIK

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.