BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have got the DIS v57 vmware image ediabas/inpa and the diaghead emulator, i have set it all up as per instructions, inpa works like a dream, however when i fire up vmware and try connecting to the diaghead, it says ip address conflict i click ignore, (as per instructions) it get to about 25% of connecting and says sending and then bombs out with an error??? help??? :-( lots of time wasted on this so far

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I never get any message regarding an IP conflict problem. Check through your VMware IP and gateway settings. Then, check through ediabas.ini for the correct settings and lastly, have you tried going into the administration area and changing from SOFTING to FISTER translator? Also, did you do the proper linux configuration.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Make sure your firewall is off too. Are you starting ifhsrv32.exe before VMWare as well? Shouldn't have anything to do with the IP conflict, but just reminding that you need that to be running too.

·
Registered
300 Posts
DIS is BMW's 2nd Gen diagnostic tools; part of an entire system (that you may hear) called GT1. DIS was the software component. Built on SCO UNIX, it provided full diagnostics of all applicable modules (think Peake on steroids) along with integrated troubleshooting for issues. DIS used to have programming in it (to re-encode and replace modules), but that was divested in v40 to a new system called Software Service Station, or SSS. These have both been replaced by the 3rd gen ISIS system as of 2007/8.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
THanks guys... the images were sold as preconfigured so i should just need to install inpa, diaghead and configure the inis and the vmware side should be done... its the bmwtek stuff on ebay/youtube... there is no mention of loopback cable? how does this work? is it just a double ended ethernet cable? or what? my laptop only has one ethernet port?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
DIS is BMW's 2nd Gen diagnostic tools; part of an entire system (that you may hear) called GT1. DIS was the software component. Built on SCO UNIX, it provided full diagnostics of all applicable modules (think Peake on steroids) along with integrated troubleshooting for issues. DIS used to have programming in it (to re-encode and replace modules), but that was divested in v40 to a new system called Software Service Station, or SSS. These have both been replaced by the 3rd gen ISIS system as of 2007/8.

After Version 44, actually. And it's now ISTA-P

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right, the youtube videos of bmwtek show no need for loopback as its all handled with vmware and the emulater apparnetly... so im still at a loss as to why it wont work... i can ping my machine and see the virtual head???

·
Registered
300 Posts
After Version 44, actually. And it's now ISTA-P
ISIS is the whole system consisting of:
IBASE (with the three VMs running within it) - core hardware
ISSS - successor system to SSS
ISTA-D - Diagnosis
ISTA-P - Programming
ISAP - Wireless access point
ICOM - Interface set for vehicle connection

·
Registered
300 Posts
Right, the youtube videos of bmwtek show no need for loopback as its all handled with vmware and the emulater apparnetly... so im still at a loss as to why it wont work... i can ping my machine and see the virtual head???
Have you gone in the configuration screen in DIS and actually selected the free Diag Head? I've noticed sometimes it "forgets" which one you've selected.

Again, make sure you also have IFHSRV32.EXE running, along with the Diag Head Emulator running, and finally DIS in VMWare (with no firewall!)

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
i don't run an emulator - it's generally not needed. try setting it up to run without the emulator.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@<!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) -->mattmartindrift

How do you have it set up? i tried it without this and it saw nothing... i have a serial with usb adapter - inpa works flawlessly with this, the only thing is i can work out how the virtual network cards are working as they both point to the host? and with the emulator it does see it it just fails at the send stage

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I just don't run the emulator. If i needed a DIS function that required auto-ID, i would the emulator.

I don't have my laptop with me, currently; however, if I recall correctly it's all about getting the IPs to match between VMware, the diag head in ediabas.ini, and in the admin/unix portion of DIS.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thanks, in the ediabas.ini its set to 192.168.68.1 port 6801 - the vmware1 subnet is set to 192.168.68.0 and the diaghead is 192.168.68.1 have i missed something out?

Dan

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
are you running EasyDIS base? or true DIS?

in ediabas.ini what interface do you have selected? ADS? OBD?

have you performed an APItest?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Running True Dis - Have OBD in ediabas.ini - i get an error when i goto calibrate screen and put password in so cant get to apitest?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
don't know what to tell you then. getting into the administration bit is critical to setup and diagnosis of networking problems - that's how you access the SCOadmin bit to set/match IPs in DIS.

you should contact the tech-support side of the place that sold you the software.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts

If you're using VMware, you'll still need to set a static IP. I can guarantee you this as I've got one VMware setup and it wouldnt work w/o a loopback or IP setup.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts