BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not sure if there's a topic about this already so feel free to copy/delete my thread if necessary.

What I'd like to do is offer my help to all the board members with the gt1 software I have. If you are in SoCal orange county, feel free to come use my scan tool to scan your car.

I saw a similar thread on a different forum and thought it would be a nice idea to have people with similar tools Post their location if they can help.

You will use it at your own risk of course.

You can read your check engine, abs, airbag lights. Do the coding if you replace any modules on the car.

If you feel you can help, post your LOCATION and SOFTWARE/TOOL you have

·
Registered
797 Posts
Great idea. Thanks.

djazz

·
Registered
114 Posts
This is great! I have been considering getting a DIS GT1 set up. Can you post on what hardware and software version you have? I am looking at a GT1 made in China with the software pre-loaded on a USB hard drive that any laptop can use. Any info on your set up would be great. Thx!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a diagun launchx tool. It's basically preloaded with dealers software for any car. It has the 2011 update abd i believe the bmw update is the v42.
It works fine with my m5 and with a lot of other cars i change

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I think what the OP is saying that people should post here if they have tools they are willing to let other board members use. What tools they are and where they are located.

That being said,

I have a Peake code reader and I am in Cincinnati.

I also have a GT1, DIS and OBD but have NO idea how to use them YET.

Reactions: mpiaty

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Dan I am just finishing a rebuild of an m5 in the Seattle area and am looking for a better code reader like the GT1 to get into some codes. P0092 is the only co that comes up on my Bluetooth obd2 but I have some issues with my seat belt/tensioner/passenger restraint system. Who knows what else... but I need a connection in the Seattle area to get my car in top shape... also need help installing some SuperSprint headers and Meisterschaft 1 & 2.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Neonguy, I'm happy to help if I can. I'm using PA Soft as my main diagnostic software along with a Peake reader for engine codes and I've been able to do all the things I need to on my M5. I decided not to spend the money on a GT1 package. I have tried installing INPA, DIS, etc. several times but could never get it to read my M5. I do all the work on my M5 so I don't have any really good contacts for independent shops. More than ten years ago, I had some of the car features programmed at Eastside Bavarian which has the GT1. I also used Strictly BMW about 20 years ago for adjusting valves on my previous E28 M5. I'm located in the Columbia City area. Let me know if you want to meet.

Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
Really Dan, we are neighbors! I'm just south of Seward Park - next to the Rainier Boat Launch, LOL. Please PM me (I cannot receive yet) or better yet txt me your phone number 206-307-9933. I have a State Patrol inspection Monday AM so if you are available this afternoon, evening or tomorrow/Sun let me know! pizza, beer and good cheer... whatever works to make it worth your time. I'd like to know more about your diagnostic tools and:

1 - If my fault in passenger air bag, seat belt tensioner etc is a function of my battery, an exploded wire-link, or the seat sensor, or ?
2 - If I can clear my trouble code for the state inspection, and/or pull any others that the Torque demo version isn't finding.

I just installed a Meisterschaft muffler set and will wait to do the X pipe, section 1 and SuperSprint headers until my emissions are approved. But having a group of folks in my area opens up the possibility for me to help them too, so I'm glad you're close.

Kevin

·
Registered
114 Posts
I tried calling but you have an extra # in the phone you listed. I have some time around 3 pm to meet. Just saw your signature and are you working on your E60 M5? I have limited knowledge for that car but have a buddy who has one that I can call.

·
Registered
50 Posts
sorry - number edited. I've got a fully open day tomorrow if you have a few minutes. Please let me know, and thanks!

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
Dude you need to get a real way to read codes. You also need to learn the fine art of search. The passenger side seat belt code happens on about 50% of E39s although only about 10% of M5s.
This P0092 you seem to have, you don't have it. Basically there is no way to measure it on the M5 and it is not on the M5 list of codes. This happens when you buy a cheap reader promising Merc/Caddy performance. You need BMW M5 performance. In order to have that code the DME would have to electronically read the fuel pressure. Well it just can't. No sensor for that.
Maybe you should invest in a Peake code reader.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have INPA and PASoft working in CT. Also have easyDIS but have had issues getting the VM to communicate with my INPA install and the car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Huge thank you to Dan in Seattle for several hours of his time showing me some different software tools and getting a whole buttload of codes cleared! INPA reader from Amazon on its way to me... Thanks Dan. I'll likely get a few more tools to ensure a cross-functional approach.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, Sailor, to be honest I am already a tool freak - but I am trippin' about the time investment required. I'm thinking my time could be worth more (in my own personal expertise) than now becoming a proficient m5 coder. I'd rather do it myself, but my time is worth something too - There seems to be a steep learning curve, coupled with a special computer able to run virtual machine, several different couplers to the OBD port for all the capabilities... correct me if I'm wrong. Because I am rebuilding a wrecked car, I brought this on myself. However I'm already so jazzed about how it's driving, and the sound of the Meisterschaft exhaust I put on the back... :))) Despite the codes, I'll keep trudging forward. INPA code reader on its way.

Regarding the "fine art of search"... Searching for "P0092", the first 2 results that come up are from e60 owners. So I'm feeling like my natural inquiry was justified. DaninSeattle truly is a great guy for having me over today to his garage and spending a couple hours with me trying out NCSExpert, EDIABAS and one other program.

I would have no idea about the e60m5 not having a fuel pressure monitor. In fact, the torque application has specific line items for it. Unfortunately, I started using the Torque application initially as I saw it mentioned here in the forum. I'm still digging in on the tools (PAsoft, Peake, NCSExpert, GT1 and others am wondering about the cost benefit - do I spend that time working OT and spending money at the dealer or a qualified, well-reputed shop? Or do I learn it all myself like everything else in life that I've done? I love the challenge of figuring things out but not sold yet on being an M5 expert yet.

One thing I learned is that Torque could be worthless as a diagnostic tool for the e60m5 and is probably at best a novelty to watch some readings in real time while driving.

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
That explains it. You are posting in the wrong forum, but you were not really looking for help with your car you wanted to contact one person. I get it now. My bad I assume things are E39 if posted here. You do have an electronic sensor, but you say you are rebuilding it. Did the fuel get turned off in it's accident? Did you do something to by pass that? If no then you need to replace the sensor or check the wiring to it, after you mechanically check that the fuel pressure is correct with a fuel pressure gauge.
It is possible, maybe even most likely that you are not getting the correct pressure but until you know what pressure you are getting it is pointless to throw out possibilities.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts