BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before starting the clutch adaptation make sure you drive the car until the drivetrain is warmed up.

After starting DIS, click Diagnosis:

1.png

Then choose 5 Series and E60/E61 and click the right green arrow:

2.png

Click OK:

3.png

Click Yes:

4.png

Click the right green arrow:

5.png

Choose Yes or No and click OK:

6.png

Click Function selection:

7.png

Click Service functions>Drive>SMG gearbox control>Service functions>Replacement and repair and then click Test schedule:

8.png

Click the right green arrow:

9.png

Choose 2 and click the right green arrow:

10.png

Choose 4 and click the right green arrow:

11.png

Choose 1 to start part one of the adaptation and click the right green arrow:

12.png

Do as instructed and then choose Yes and click the right green arrow. It will run through the first step of the adaptation and then give before and after values. If it asks about saving the new values choose OK/Yes. When the test is finished you should wind up at the screen with the three test options again.

13.png

Choose 2 and click the right green arrow and you'll reach the screen below. Do as instructed and choose Yes and click the right green arrow. It will run through the second step of the adaptation and then give before and after values. If it asks about saving the new values choose OK/Yes. When the test is finished you should wind up at the screen with the three test options again.

14.png

Choose 3 and click the right green arrow and you'll reach the screen below. Do as instructed and choose Yes and click the right green arrow. It will run through the third step of the adaptation and then give before and after values. If it asks about saving the new values choose OK/Yes. When the test is finished you should wind up at the screen with the three test options again.

15.png

At this point you are done adapting your clutch. Choose 4 and click the right green arrow, then choose 5 and click the right green arrow, and then click the right green arrow again to return to the test schedule. You can terminate the session by clicking End>Quit and then clicking Terminate.

The clutch adaptation process can cause error codes to be stored. I used INPA to clear these errors. Prior to doing that I received an increased emissions error when I started the car.

·
Registered
302 Posts
big thanks for this, I will be trying to tonight to try and remove my failed adaptation in INPA, will post with results!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
does anyone know that if by doing this recalibration, that if it will reset the oil service interval?

When I did it, I noticed my oil change interval went from 3000 miles to 15000 miles. Odd.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've been trying to summon the nerve to do this since I purchased the BM Technic software & cable, but have been hesitant to take the leap.
However, now armed with Inferno's excellent DIY with screenshots, I'm feeling like the guy at the bar who's confidence has been boosted by 4 beers.
Before I get too fat headed, will there be any difference in the adaptation process if my beast's SMG is Euro flashed? I think the answer is no, but sometimes thinking is what gets me in trouble in the first place.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've been trying to summon the nerve to do this since I purchased the BM Technic software & cable, but have been hesitant to take the leap.
However, now armed with Inferno's excellent DIY with screenshots, I'm feeling like the guy at the bar who's confidence has been boosted by 4 beers.
Before I get too fat headed, will there be any difference in the adaptation process if my beast's SMG is Euro flashed? I think the answer is no, but sometimes thinking is what gets me in trouble in the first place.
should not be any problems or differences with a euro tune

·
Registered
229 Posts
Clutch! Adaptation Active

The DIY was written so nicely that I could not resist to give it a try today. However things did not go so well for me. After I initiated the Teach-in clutch valve characteristic values(step 1 of 3-step adaptation process), and clicked on Yes on the following page to start the teach-in, I immediately got a red-cog(Clutch! Adaptation Active)! I started over a couple of times and got the same result.

I then tried to delete the error code with DIS, but without any success.

Here are my questions:
1. Shall I turn off engine to perform the adaptation process?
2. Is there any way to remove the 'Clutch Adaptation Active' msg?
3. Can the car be driven under this error condition?

I will upload the error msg screen shot in a bit.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
was your car in "N" and ignition "ON" with engine not running? Also, did you have a battery charger hooked up? Car was on level ground?

·
Registered
229 Posts
was your car in "N" and ignition "ON" with engine not running? Also, did you have a battery charger hooked up? Car was on level ground?
Yes, car was on level ground, but I am pretty sure it is NOT in the state of "N" and ignition "ON" with engine not running. I actually had engine running until one of steps specifically called for 'engine OFF'. Not sure if turning off the engine in the middle of the process would cause any damage?
Also, I do not have a battery charger.

Shall I start this over? Do I have to get a battery charge before doing it?

Thanks, Bro!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Disengagement position outside tolerance

With new way, N + ignition on + engine off, I was getting a different error now while going through teach-in process:
"Disengagement position is outside tolerance on the clutch valve"

At least, it is something different. Just ordered a battery charger and will start over with adaptation process.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
With new way, N + ignition on + engine off, I was getting a different error now while going through teach-in process:
"Disengagement position is outside tolerance on the clutch valve"

At least, it is something different. Just ordered a battery charger and will start over with adaptation process.
WTF.......u are now the 3rd person to get this error on this board. INCLUDING ME!

My car is just sitting at home now, dont know what to do!

·
Registered
229 Posts
JOY!

I will take my car to a local dealership later today and share with you what they say after that. Wish me luck;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
ok, please keep us posted. we really need as much info as possible from everyone.
No luck yet. Talked to the SA in the morning and did not feel like he understood well what might be the problem other than mentioning it would be some modules related to tranny. He did mention if some modules' software part is not up to date, when a newer version of software tool is used to do the adaptation, it could cause problem. By evening, he called me and said the car was still being diagnosed and should have something for me tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
No luck yet. Talked to the SA in the morning and did not feel like he understood well what might be the problem other than mentioning it would be some modules related to tranny. He did mention if some modules' software part is not up to date, when a newer version of software tool is used to do the adaptation, it could cause problem. By evening, he called me and said the car was still being diagnosed and should have something for me tomorrow.
I just hope its just a software problem and not a few grand in parts that needs replacing. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
No luck yet. Talked to the SA in the morning and did not feel like he understood well what might be the problem other than mentioning it would be some modules related to tranny.
I truly hope it is just a software issue. If anything, perhaps the files in c:\ediabas\ecu need to be updated for your INPA installations. I'm certain I have the latest SMG software (Euro as well) on my 11/05 build because I flashed it there and I have used everything from INPA to DIS to ISTA (what the dealer will use) to perform the adaptation on my car.

The error the three of you are getting refers specifically to the clutch valve and it's current value when the clutch starts letting off. The maximum, default (not adapted), and minimum values are highlighted in yellow in this programming reference:

View attachment SMG Adaptation Job Descriptors.xls

If they start looking anywhere for hardware problems, it should be with this solenoid valve.

However, I doubt very many dealerships in the US have that level of knowledge or experience with this transmission.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
JOY!

I will take my car to a local dealership later today and share with you what they say after that. Wish me luck;)
What dealer did you take it to?

1 - 20 of 134 Posts