BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have Toyo T1Rs which I really love. I'm not really sure why I'm considering changing other than I'd like to try the Direzza. Normally because my rears wear faster, and I'm only replacing two at a time, I get locked into the tire I have. This time the entire set is coming due at the same time so I have an opportunity to change if I want. I've read nothing but good reviews on the Direzza's as far as dry traction.

What I'm wondering is how they perform in the wet and how much noise do they start to transmit once you pass the midpoint of their tread depth? I assume many here may have gone through at least one life cycle on a set.

·
Registered
2002 M5, Imola / Imola
1,703 Posts
I've found they are great in the wet. I have never experienced them hydroplane. In fact, a few months ago I was feeling mischievous so I went to do a few quick donuts in a SOAKED parking lot. I was amazed how much grip it had, unless I really gave it a stab of the throttle, the tires just kept sticking.

As for road noise, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. The only thing against them is that they tend to wear pretty fast, but thats a product of its soft rubber compound.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I had star specs on my E46 M3 and did a massive standing/rolling burnout through 3rd gear and I'd be willing to bet no more than 1% of the tread was burned off. Tires looked new even after doing that. Excellent traction wet or dry. Great tire, especially for auto-x.

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
962 Posts
Great tire though I've only used on track and am not through half worn yet. In my experience, they have excellent grip in both dry and wet conditions. At the track, I've seen quite a few guys use them solely as their wet tire and they love them.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Running 275 Direzza star specs at all four corners and rotated tires 2x. Fantastic grip in the dry especially cornering and right there with PS2 in dry grip if not better. They do growl (louder than PS2s) especially when you have miles on the tires and they are little stiffer riding than the PS2. The growl on mine is audible at slow speeds but with wider tires, it is more pronounced. When you are pushing car to the limit and with that much grip, the noise is the least thing you will worry about.. I am comparing to PS2s since it the the standard for our cars.. Mine are tramlining now like crazy but i have aggressive setup so.. prob not an issue if your setup is not aggressive and you run stock tires in front..

Wet is not as good as PS2 but will not get you in trouble. Be aware though.. in very cold weather, the tires are as stiff as a board and they are very scary to ride on but then again they are extreme summer tires.. overall tires are bang for your buck..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have had them on for 10,000 miles and am very impressed. Fantastic grip in the dry with no issues in the wet weather we have in the SF Bay Area. Significantly cheaper than PS2's. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will swap out the Toyo's. I've got until Spring to get them since I'm running WinterSports on a separate set of rims right now. The summer set won't go back on until after the last snow.

Also, I see one of the ads on the board right now for an $80 rebate with 4 Dunlops. I'll see if the Direzzas are included in that offer.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I love my Star Specs. I'm about to the end of my rears now and they're getting noisy, but that's pretty much expected. I just wish they made them wider than 275. 285 NT-05s are going on next.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts