BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys any opinions which one to invest $. Dinan Anti-roll bars, front & rear run for about $550. Eibach is $440 the 28mm and 17mm. Anyone puchased either one?

:thumbsup:
Thanks
R

L

·
0 Posts
Eibach does not offer sways bars for an E39 M5 .... while the bars offered for the 540i would physically bolt up they would not offer the desired performance as the M5 weighs more than the 540i

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eibach does not offer sways bars for an E39 M5 .... while the bars offered for the 540i would physically bolt up they would not offer the desired performance as the M5 weighs more than the 540i
So you recommend Dinan becasue its specifically for the E39 M5

L

·
0 Posts
Eibach, both here and in Germany, do not recommend their E39 sway bars for use on the M5 so, by default ... yes

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eibach, both here and in Germany, do not recommend their E39 sway bars for use on the M5 so, by default ... yes

Thanks, :thumbsup:

Got to go with the overprices Dinan again. Dont everything is everprices, but some things are just too much..

I guess thats the price of having a high performance car like the M5.

On another note. Does do you know if Dinan supplies you with their sway bar brackets. I broke the OEM's like 3 times in 2 years. I looked on Dinan's website, but did not see anything about brackets. I know TC design are probably the best in the market right now, but thats about another $120 + $550 for Dinan sway bars.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yes........

Thanks, :thumbsup:

Got to go with the overprices Dinan again. Dont everything is everprices, but some things are just too much..

I guess thats the price of having a high performance car like the M5.

On another note. Does do you know if Dinan supplies you with their sway bar brackets. I broke the OEM's like 3 times in 2 years. I looked on Dinan's website, but did not see anything about brackets. I know TC design are probably the best in the market right now, but thats about another $120 + $550 for Dinan sway bars.
Dinan supplies reinforcing for brackets with their rear swaybar. Mine have been on since Jan., '05 - no problem.

BTW, unless you're going to wider wheels/tires on front (instead of your staggered set-up), you don't need a larger front swaybar. It would be a waste of $$$. Just get rear sway, put on middle setting. This will help dial out a lot of understeer.

Also BTW, 'noticed in your sig you have ACS suspension and 19" wheels. You should talk to an experienced/knowledgeable Dinan dealer (or Dinan directly), whether their swaybar (engineered for stock suspension or their suspension; w/18" wheels) is appropriate for your car.

Are you in Los Angeles??

·
10,456 Posts
the front bar is an unneeded expense, and is quite expensive from a labor standpoint. For years, dinan only offered the rear bar, because that is all that the e39 m5 really needed, less understeer. They started using a front bar with the S3 package, the added roll stiffness helps the s3 put the power down coming out of a corner a bit more effectively, but is probably not necessary on the typical m5.

Reactions: Polynova and DRM

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
what about Kelleners? They make anti-roll bars for the M5

might be worth a conideration!?!

cheers

·
10,456 Posts
what about Kelleners? They make anti-roll bars for the M5

might be worth a conideration!?!

cheers
iirc, weren't kelleners just rebadged eibachs?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was trying to order a Dinan rear bar and ship it across the ocean but could not do it over the internet. Ended up with the Eibach set. Body roll at cornering reduced sensibly but from what I figure out a single Dinan rear bar would probably achieve similar results. I installed the Eibach front bar because there was no advice not to. The labor, as anticipated, was a lot more involving.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Dinan's rear sway is actually priced about right I like the fact that it's adjustable. I don't know what's up with some of Dinan's items not showing on product lists. I went with the TCDs and have been happy with the Dinan/TCDesign combo

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
The Eibach E39 V8 28/18 swaybar kit is exactly the same as the $800 ACS M5 swaybar kit except they are not painted blue and cost is about 50%. Maybe Eibach was told not to promote them for M5 use, but a ton of folks use them & they fit perfect. I suppose the color is wrong lol.

I personally think the bigger 28mm Eibach bar is not helpful unless you have camber plates and 9.5" wheels in front. A 2003 540i with all available options weighs within 100lbs of an M5, according to spring charts. The axle weight bias is also within 1% when comparing the two models. The dual exhaust is a little heavier on M5 and the spare tire is a little heavier on 540i...both sit in the rear. The extra engine stroke/bore and intake snorkel is not weighty. The weight differential is greater between '97 and '03 540i.

Anyway, I'd save the front bar labor hassle and go with adjustable Dinan rear bar.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dinan supplies reinforcing for brackets with their rear swaybar. Mine have been on since Jan., '05 - no problem.

BTW, unless you're going to wider wheels/tires on front (instead of your staggered set-up), you don't need a larger front swaybar. It would be a waste of $$$. Just get rear sway, put on middle setting. This will help dial out a lot of understeer.

Also BTW, 'noticed in your sig you have ACS suspension and 19" wheels. You should talk to an experienced/knowledgeable Dinan dealer (or Dinan directly), whether their swaybar (engineered for stock suspension or their suspension; w/18" wheels) is appropriate for your car.

Are you in Los Angeles??
Yes i am

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like to thank everyone for their positive reply.. Dinan sway bar it is... with TC sway bar brackets. Once again thank you guys.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Reviving this because I found my self in this situation, the threat resulted in me calling Dinan and after a few minutes over the pho9ne they explained the reasoning behind only doing a rear if you have a staggered setup so that's what am doing, Dinan rear sway bar here I come!

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Reviving this because I found my self in this situation, the threat resulted in me calling Dinan and after a few minutes over the pho9ne they explained the reasoning behind only doing a rear if you have a staggered setup so that's what am doing, Dinan rear sway bar here I come!
Let us know your feedback once installed :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Let us know your feedback once installed :)
I will for sure but only thing is I will be doing this at the same time with my B&G springs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts