BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Official Dinan representative
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve heard about difficulties with our V10 throttle bodies, particularly how the product has had defects and people’s cars have spent long times in the shop during installation. After checking into it, the problems have all been installation errors. The installation follows a BMW procedure, but many technicians are still struggling with it. To reduce the instances of this in the future we have rewritten the installation instructions, adding steps to the BMW procedure outlining the common mistakes. In addition we have listed the faults that get set when the throttle bodies are installed incorrectly and indicated what causes the fault to make problems easier to troubleshoot. Since this change, the instances of problems have greatly reduced. We were pretty confident from the beginning that it was not a manufacturing defect because every throttle body is flowed on a flow bench and matched as a set.

Lastly, and on a completely different note, I want to thank those of you who’ve been messaging me with Dinan-related questions. I’m a new intern at Dinan, and a mechanical engineering undergraduate student. My primary responsibility here is to post information for you all and to be available to answer your questions. Often times I won’t be quick to respond because I’m still in the learning process, and Steve Dinan is usually by my side when I’m giving anyone information. If you need immediate response, our tech line is your best bet (1800-341-5480). Nonetheless, keep the questions coming, and also keep an eye out for tech articles that Steve Dinan and I will be writing in the future.

Thanks!

Steve Breen

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I think you may have opened a huge can of worms. So the defects have all been installation oriented? Does that also explain the inability of others to recreate any horsepower gains on dynos (per multiple board members)? Or is this just an explanation for faults that are occurring?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Duck and Cover!:eek:oohhh: I am not sure what sound airborne rangers make, but whatever it is, I think I hear it coming!:hihi:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Would be interesting to see the flow rates of the Dinan Throttle Bodies compared to stock and corresponding dyno graph substantiating those gains.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
and the can of worms just opened up

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thanks for the update. We are all interested in spending money on products that provide real world gains and can be verified. The more evidence that can be provided to support the value of these products the better.

As a board community we try to assist each other in proving out various products. Collectively we can gather a lot of information and help fellow members to buy the best mods.

To the extent that you maintain a presense on the board to answer questions it will be very helpful. Welcome to the board and keep the posts coming.

·
Registered
907 Posts
But no explanation as to why the ones that ARE correctly installed are not showing gains?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Duck and Cover!:eek:oohhh: I am not sure what sound airborne rangers make, but whatever it is, I think I hear it coming!:hihi:

This made me laugh :haha:

I am sure Juan's post will be a well thought out one asking pertinent questions to Steve Breen. :typing:

If not than we all need to run and hide!! :hihi:

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Seems Juan has gone dark here. That has me even more worried.

On a serious note, what you really need to do is address the issue that there appear to be no demonstrable gains with the TBs. So, even ignoring the significant question of install issues, please explain the cost/benefit analysis of this mod and why it is something we should consider.

Keep in mind 2 things:

1. I am not per se anti-Dinan. I have close to $10K of Dinan parts on my car (although no engine mods); and

2. Like most other people here, I am willing to spend money where there is value. I do, however, want to see a substantiated benefit for the expenditure. In other words, I don't mind blowing my money and sending my kid to community college instead of Harvard as long as there is something in it for me.:hihi:

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
'Have a question....

Seems Juan has gone dark here. That has me even more worried.

On a serious note, what you really need to do is address the issue that there appear to be no demonstrable gains with the TBs. So, even ignoring the significant question of install issues, please explain the cost/benefit analysis of this mod and why it is something we should consider.

Keep in mind 2 things:

1. I am not per se anti-Dinan. I have close to $10K of Dinan parts on my car (although no engine mods); and

2. Like most other people here, I am willing to spend money where there is value. I do, however, want to see a substantiated benefit for the expenditure. In other words, I don't mind blowing my money and sending my kid to community college instead of Harvard as long as there is something in it for me.:hihi:
Pardon my dumb question, but I only have a 3rd grade mentality; so please bear with me.

Dinan's claim for TB mod is 13 "maximum" crank HP and 8 "maximum" tq gains; all at 8100 rpm (this would be in 5th gear, per their own testing. I'm not sure what speed you'd be going in 5th gear, @ 8100 rpm).

'Cost is $3k + 11 hours labor for install; or about $4100 (if your shop's labor rate is $100 per hour). Stage II software is "recommended for optimum performance and drivability"; but not required. 'Not sure what their recommendation means, 'cause BMW's ECU adjustment range should be able to easily adjust for this "air in" mod, given TB small % engine output increase.

But, for the sake of my question, let's say you want to follow Dinan's recommendation and buy the software, too. That's an additional $1100 + $50 for 1/2 hour labor. So, total $$$ (not including sales tax) would be ~$5250.

Now let's say your friendly, local Dinan dealer offers a 10% (parts and labor) BMWCCA member discount. So, all in, your cost would be $4725 + sales tax on parts.

Question: Assuming the stated gains (max - 13 crank hp + 8 max tq; @ very high rpms and 5th gear speeds) are actually proven to be valid, would you buy the mod @ the above price?? And remember, as M5Ranger has stated (and he's correct), gains from various mods are NOT sequentially additive; they all kick in, drop off, and/or produce different results along the power curve; depending on the mod mix and software tune that drives them. So, when answering my question, you can't assume a TB mod is going to be 100% additive to whatever other mods are on the car.

I'd like to know who thinks this mod (with independantly verified performance as stated by Dinan) is worth the $$$, on a stand alone basis??:)

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Agreed and thank you for the first hand information.

To all: Off topic comments and non factual posts will not be accepted in this thread.

Thanks for the update. We are all interested in spending money on products that provide real world gains and can be verified. The more evidence that can be provided to support the value of these products the better.

As a board community we try to assist each other in proving out various products. Collectively we can gather a lot of information and help fellow members to buy the best mods.

To the extent that you maintain a presense on the board to answer questions it will be very helpful. Welcome to the board and keep the posts coming.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts