BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had stage 3 suspension put on 2 weeks ago and what a difference. Very neutral, understeer almost gone, will have rear stiffened at 1,000 mile check-up. Anyone who feels like I do with respect to the stock M5 handleing needs this installed. I also got a short tour to look at on going developments and there where proto's of the cold air intake (in carbon fibre)with custom throttle bodies and aluminum mufflers. They where also working on custom headers, intake plenum mods and a light weight cluch system all of which appeared to be less developed.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Andy, any information on the timing of the release of the cold air intakes and any horsepower increase claims?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Has anyone heard the Dinan exhaust? Is it load?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark,

Hard to tell given the amount of outside tire wear from the stock understeer condition. But from prior experiance with Dinan suspension, both from and rears wear a little more on the inside of the tire. BTW - is the exhaust ready? it wasn't 2 weeks ago.

Originally posted by MarkM5Lauderdale:
Andy, how's tread wear on your front tires with the camber plates installed? I'm getting the stage 2 installed next week along with the Dinan exhaust and strut supports.
Mark

·
Registered
417 Posts
andyb,

How would you describe the ride feel of the car after stage 3?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very little difference, it is only slightly more harsh on the highway but not intrusive, well worth the small sacrifice to get a car that is now neutral.

Originally posted by RaMsEs:
andyb,

How would you describe the ride feel of the car after stage 3?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Andy, did you get the Dinan Exhaust also? Can we get together so I can experience your suspension (I'm also in Saratoga)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave, lets do it - email me you will really like the suspension. No, the exhaust is not available for a month or so. When it is I will get it along with the cold air intake.

Originally posted by dave:
Andy, did you get the Dinan Exhaust also? Can we get together so I can experience your suspension (I'm also in Saratoga)?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I plan on getting the stage II, exhaust, and wheels (either new Dinan for M5 or Ac Schnitzers. what is your email Andy?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got the DINAN STAGE 3 suspension for my WHITE M5 and i love it...........its amazing the cornering difference (i also got the front and rear strut tower brace-- 3 hours labor to install the rear one).........TRULY AMAZING........

·
Registered
417 Posts
Is the car notably lower with the new suspension? I wouldn't want my M5 being scrape bait in downtown parking lots.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Originally posted by andyb:
Very little difference, it is only slightly more harsh on the highway but not intrusive, well worth the small sacrifice to get a car that is now neutral.
The harshness I can handle, in fact I welcome a bit of it so that can feel a little more connected to the road. Lowered ride height is ok to an extent too (as long as your front spoiler can survive bad inclines into parking lots). I just don't want to strip away the practical part of the beast that is the M5. If I wanted a real sports car I wouldn't of ordered an M5.

Something else to think about: Judging by the Dinan's website, it looks like they use the same suspension components for the all E39's, they just marked up the M5 suspension a little more (actually each stage costs exactly $6. more) and changed one digit in the part number. Would this not explain the quick release of suspension upgrades to the M5? This begs the question: Will Dinan stage 3 suspension 540i out-handle an M5? I hope so! Otherwise this upgrade would be nonsense.

In the end, I'll probably end up with a stage 2 or 3 myself
I just wanted to throw out my worthless 2cents for everyone considering the Dinan suspension.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RaMsEs,

I had an E39 540 with stage 3 and they are similar. The camber plates and strut brace are the same. The shocks I beleive are the same but the springs are specific to the M5. From a performance stand point the M5 appears to have the edge, I can take corners faster in it, but that is probably due to the increased tire size. Intrestingly the M5 with the stage 3 rides less harsh and the 540 with the stage 3 ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by Dave Palumbo:
I got the DINAN STAGE 3 suspension for my WHITE M5 and i love it...........its amazing the cornering difference (i also got the front and rear strut tower brace-- 3 hours labor to install the rear one).........TRULY AMAZING........

1 - 20 of 30 Posts