BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 289 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I searched the site looking for feed back on the dinan throttle bodies, but could not find any specific feed back.... So I am sorry if I missed something in the search, but does anyone have any feed back on them? I ordered them the other day along with the stage 2 software.. I am hoping they are an exciting addition to my current mods...

Current mods:
Exhaust - Dinan
Stage 1 Software - Dinan
Differential - Dinan
Stage 2 Suspension - Dinan
Char filters out -

On Order:
Throttle bodies - Dianan
Stage 2 software - Dianan

Also just curious if my calcs would be correct - would all of these mods including the throttle bodies bring my BHP to 544 and my torque to 444?? Just curious...

This is how I figured...

Stock HP 507 Stock torque 383
Differential + 8% Torque so + 31 torque
Stage 1 Software + 15hp + 16 Torque
Throttle Bodies + 13hp + 8 Torque
Exhaust + 9hp + 6 Torque

I think I am right?

Thanks

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know what bad experiance the ranger had?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Hello M5 junky, allow me to intrduce myself, M5Ranger.
My M5 is very modded and it is a great car but I went through a very bad period this past summer with the throttle bodies and Dinan in general.

I see you are a Dinan diehard, well that is fine. Whatever works for you and at this point I will not denegrate Dinan. They are what they are and the world keeps turning.

I had a horrible time with getting the TB's to get them have the car run right. It was a nightmare. After many issues and time the car was sorted out and returned to its previous performance. Dinan contends that the TB's will not work right unless you have the Dinan software (which I see you have). I have Active Autowerke ECU software.

The car after multiple dyno's at different times NEVER showed any rwhp gains with the TB's. Thats zero gains. The claim you state of 13 hp gain is actually crank hp which is bullsh*T.

Bottom line as for as I'm concern the TB's are useless. I wanted to go back to stock TB's but Dinan would not accept return of the "2nd set of TB's". They told me I was stuck, those were mine and that was that!

M5's without the Dinan TB's are making as much or more rwhp than I.

To further expand on the Dinan BS about there software and compatibility.
My GT3 headers from FVD, a Porsche single mass flywheel and ECU software mods from GIAC. The ECU upgrade has produced significant improvement in the engine function. The motor revs like never before and acceleration is improved. Now all the components are from different companies and they all work.
Dinan gives me the lame excuse that , well the TB's do not work because you do not have our software. Mind you, when buying the TB's they NEVER bother to ask what software I have. When it doesn't work out then oh yes well that is the problem. You have a different ECU! That's total poor business practice.

I wish good luck but I do not believe anyone has dyno proof of rwhp.
My recommendation is spend your money on another mod. Other experts have told me the TB mod is of no value.

Honestly I can see that you are Dinan to the core and God bless you but I feel this has been a total waste of time to explain. Sorry.

Again good luck,

M5Ranger

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Also just curious if my calcs would be correct - would all of these mods including the throttle bodies bring my BHP to 544 and my torque to 444?? Just curious...

This is how I figured...

Stock HP 507 Stock torque 383
Differential + 8% Torque so + 31 torque
Stage 1 Software + 15hp + 16 Torque
Throttle Bodies + 13hp + 8 Torque
Exhaust + 9hp + 6 Torque

I think I am right?

Thanks

Honestly? Not likely. The differential doesn't actually give you
any additional torque that can be measure on a dyno. Don't expect
any gains in hp from exhaust (section 3) only. Software I'd expect
maybe a 10hp gain but mainly due to charcoal filter removal. I've
seen no dyno evidence that throttle bodies increase power. So
if you want to use 507 as a base then you should realistically expect
something like 517-520hp. This doesn't mean that the car won't feel
stronger or feel better.

If you have the opportunity please do a before and after dyno of
the throttle bodies. I'd like to see evidence that they are worth
what they are charging.

·
Registered
101 Posts
M5 Ranger, What sort of 0-60mph, 0-100mph and 1/4mile times do you do on a good day with reasonable traction?
I still need to get ASR out to South Africa to fit nitrous to my M5.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks much M5Ranger for the response - much appreciated! I am not really a Dinan crazy guy. Its just that I live smack dab in the middle of the country and am limited to good shops that I would trust with the beast. I have a shop on the south side that is an authorized Dinan dealer - so I gotta go with someone that is trusted. I would love to do many more things with the beast but - I get a little nervous with just any one touching her. i want to do the pulley yet, but the local Dinan shop won't touch it (says it will throw off the balance) so I am a little restricted to what I can do at times. I don't mind the Dinan - it is expensive! BMW Dealers around here won't even get involved with it.

Anyway - did a google for a Dyno guy in St Louis. I called and I am going to take it there mid next week. I would do it sooner, but we are in an ice storm and won't take the beast out of the garage. I am going to get a pull before throttle bodies and after the install - if there are no gains I am going to raise hell with Dinan. I am even having the Stage 2 Software put on as recommended - (all will be put on at an authroized dealer as well as with all my other stuff I had done)... So stay tuned and I will post again within the next week or so. Thanks for all the information - I do tend to trust the board members more than the shop guys....

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Anyway - did a google for a Dyno guy in St Louis. I called and I am going to take it there mid next week. I would do it sooner, but we are in an ice storm and won't take the beast out of the garage. I am going to get a pull before throttle bodies and after the install - if there are no gains I am going to raise hell with Dinan. I am even having the Stage 2 Software put on as recommended - (all will be put on at an authroized dealer as well as with all my other stuff I had done)... So stay tuned and I will post again within the next week or so. Thanks for all the information - I do tend to trust the board members more than the shop guys....
I can't wait to see your results. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
junky if i was you i would'nt get em !!

my dealer who's dinan authorized they did my diff , soft , susp even told me that its not worth even half the $$...

they did tb's on an m6 with the soft and beside's the fact that it took 5 days to get the car running right it showed 0 gains on the dyno !!

the guy was so pissed he argued with the dealer who argued with dinan but they would not refund him his $$ , he then called amex and disputed the charges and the dealer lost the 4+ g's and a good customer !!

in terms of the pulley any GOOD mechanic from any shop can do it , so don't hesitate , it'll prob be better than the tb's...

don't mean to deter you but i was looking to get the tb's aswell but after i heard this it , i decided screw it !!

NEIL

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My dealer ordered them already and charged me - so I am probably stuck.. I have always been wondering anyways with all the stuff I have on it from Dinan if there are any gains. I am going to find out. I think I am going to just go through with it just to see what happens. Very interested - I hate being interested when it involves $4K, but...... thanks for the replys guys! I will definetely post again on the outcome..

·
Registered
836 Posts
No agenda, just a ?
Wouldn't the best way to see a difference with TB's be to run several 1/4 mi's or better yet 30-150MPH runs before and after the TB's and see if the average time drops. Dyno's often show minimal gains for pulleys or intakes which definitely improve real world performance

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would like to add my own $0.02.

1) Dinan throttle bodies were never intended to be used without Dinan software or anyone elses software. If this part is not installed by the book you will have issues similar to M5Ranger. That means you must have Dinan software, a throttle body synchronization tool and A DINAN DEALER that is familliar with this process. If you try to go outside of a Dinan Dealer or Dinan Independant shop Dinan tech dept will do little in technical support if you have a problem.

2) This upgrade is a function of more air, but in order to see gains on a dyno you must have as close to real world airflow as you can get. The Dyno shops that most visit use small shop fans that would give as much air as if you really driving at 20mph. Tell me how in the hell that is not going to throw off specifically engineered software that is based around air and fuel?? I have yet to see a dyno shop in the US that has a more sophistocated and elaborate dynomometer system than Dinan in Morgan Hill. I have said many times that you will never see the same gains at a dyno shop that you would see at the dinan facility. Their fan is the size of a mini cooper that will adjust airflow based on RPM. It will produce simulated airflow of up to 80mph through its attached wind tunnel right to the front airdam. This is why you not see the same gains on another dyno but feel them in real world driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
Chris,
That's why I suggested timing 30-150mph pulls (in both directions if there's any wind) before and after TB's or intakes since it's not a given that the full difference will be appreciated by a dyno.
Doing it on the same stretch of road (to control for incline) and at similar temperatures would be best.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have Active Autowerke ECU software.

The car after multiple dyno's at different times NEVER showed any rwhp gains with the TB's. Thats zero gains. The claim you state of 13 hp gain is actually crank hp which is bullsh*T.

Bottom line as for as I'm concern the TB's are useless.
M5 Ranger I do not want to run around again with you regarding this topic as I dont want to upset you again. So whether you believe the whole "too many different parts may cause issues" from Dinan is your opinion and not based on any factual BMW tuning methods. Steve Dinan has been tuning BMW's longer than you.

But this is a far cry from what the initial response was from you (see below to first reaction). This is why I say real world gains on the road is where T-Bodies will show how much more air is coming in not on the Dynomometer.

The car is like I've never felt. The throttle response is at an all new level. The intakes along with the throttle body mod I believe work very synergistically. The car feels like it wants to jump out of the paint/skin. I swear P400 feels like P500. I am extremely HAPPY. .
and another

After research with Dinan and local experts it was figured out. The throttle bodies must be synchronized. I admit , I don't know or understand the solution. I will say that BMW ( the dealer ) knew nothing about it. What I do say is the car has a throttle response I've never felt before. As I said, it wants to jump out of the paint. I did not and will not await or seek the Dinan ECU software. I have the Active software done when I got the headers, pulley and the 3.91 diff. My experience described was on one afternoon immediately after the throttle bodies were installed. I anticipate that the ECU will equilibrate with the modification and then watchout because this baby knows no limit. The car sounds different. My exhaust was always loud but now it's deeper and hoarse, I love it ! The air-intakes I know must really compliment the larger throttle bodies.

If you want to further discuss your issue and any ideas we can come up with collectively I am open for a PM.
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 289 Posts