BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On gross inspection they are noticeably larger though only a 2 mm increase in bore. The install is sort of intricate. Dinan states 11 hrs labor. My shop did it in 6 hrs. but the job was far from over. The car did not run right, loss power and the CEL came on. The throttle bodies had to be synchronized. Finanlly after getting the proper procedure to do this all was well. The car is like I've never felt. The throttle response is at an all new level. The intakes along with the throttle body mod I believe work very synergistically. The car feels like it wants to jump out of the paint/skin. I swear P400 feels like P500. I am extremely HAPPY. Did not dyno due to lack of time but future plans will be to work the heads and then it will be done. Hope for substancial gains. Will keep informed.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
What was the toal cost installed? Did you do the Dinan software as well? So much for my pledge not to do any more mods!!!!:1zhelp:

P.S.: Does anybody know a good divorce attorney? :eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
yes pls give us some more info !!

did you have to send the throttle bodies out to dinan ??
how much did it cost ??
how long did it take ?? ie:when did you dropp it and when did you get it back ??
do you feel the modd is worth the 4k+ $$$..

thanks for the responses in advance !!

·
Registered
501 Posts
yes pls give us some more info !!

did you have to send the throttle bodies out to dinan ??
how much did it cost ??
how long did it take ?? ie:when did you dropp it and when did you get it back ??
do you feel the modd is worth the 4k+ $$$..

thanks for the responses in advance !!

You do not have to send them out to Dinan to get modified. They have them in stock, but you will have to send back your cores after install as exchange.

·
Registered
797 Posts
On gross inspection they are noticeably larger though only a 2 mm increase in bore. The install is sort of intricate. Dinan states 11 hrs labor. My shop did it in 6 hrs. but the job was far from over. The car did not run right, loss power and the CEL came on. The throttle bodies had to be synchronized. Finanlly after getting the proper procedure to do this all was well. The car is like I've never felt. The throttle response is at an all new level. The intakes along with the throttle body mod I believe work very synergistically. The car feels like it wants to jump out of the paint/skin. I swear P400 feels like P500. I am extremely HAPPY. Did not dyno due to lack of time but future plans will be to work the heads and then it will be done. Hope for substancial gains. Will keep informed.
i'm also planning on doing the throttle body's, what do you mean they had to synchronize the throttle body's?

my car is already a beast with active ecu, custom intake, custome exhaust from the header back, evosport headers and pulley, straight pipes non cats. i believe the throttle body's will love this free flowing exhaust and i'm pretty sure with all these mods it should give more than there 13hp gain.
thanks for the advice.
ttm6

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Nice Job Ranger!!

Pre and post Dinan throttle body dynos coming to an M5board board near you soon.....:M5rev:

Cheers ///

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dinan sent me a set of throttle bodies de novo, obviously bored and with the Dinan name on the butterflies. I did not send them my throttle bodies initially. I was hit with a core charge of $2600 which will come back when they get my original throttle bodies. Actual cost is $2999 and labor can be variable. The shop I deal with required 6 hrs but then came the problems. The car did not run right, no power and CEL turned on. After research with Dinan and local experts it was figured out. The throttle bodies must be synchronized. I admit , I don't know or understand the solution. I will say that BMW ( the dealer ) knew nothing about it. What I do say is the car has a throttle response I've never felt before. As I said, it wants to jump out of the paint. I did not and will not await or seek the Dinan ECU software. I have the Active software done when I got the headers, pulley and the 3.91 diff. My experience described was on one afternoon immediately after the throttle bodies were installed. I anticipate that the ECU will equilibrate with the modification and then watchout because this baby knows no limit. The car sounds different. My exhaust was always loud but now it's deeper and hoarse, I love it ! The air-intakes I know must really compliment the larger throttle bodies. Throttle body change without improving the air flow I don't think would have the same result. Next will be the work to be done on the heads. My shop is in contact with the guy at RD Sport about the stroker motor but actually only certain parts. There are top engine and machinist guys in my area that can do the head and piston work if necessary. The goal is 550 rwHP.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Will a authorized Dinan BMW Dealer do this install and throttle body adjustments?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BD 997 : I do not know the answer to your question. I NEVER deal with the dealer. There is no confidence at all. I have a great local shop and also Active Autowerke here in Miami, FL. Now Dinan won't deal with them so I buy the products and get them to the shop. I have to say my guys are awesome. I recommend Wheels Botique in Miami to anyone, ask for Ben. Best HRE wheel contact.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well here's a follow-up, after 2 days of awesome driving and new found powre surge the car crapped out. The CEL came on and engine malfunction comes on the i-drive screen. Back to the shop and I'll keep in touch.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I really did not think the throttle bodies would have that much of a dramatic improvement. This is certainly a pleasant surprise to see how good the mod was. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Well here's a follow-up, after 2 days of awesome driving and new found powre surge the car crapped out. The CEL came on and engine malfunction comes on the i-drive screen. Back to the shop and I'll keep in touch.
Hey Ranger,

Did it go into "limp mode"?

What version software do you have?

Cheers ///

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on the car. Just a tiny microscopic turn of a screw and all is well. The beast is back and kicking some mean *** !!! I've been following all the posts concerning the Dinan software and software in general. I have truly come to believe ECU upgrades are for speed limiter, shifts speeds and possible throttle response. Any other results I feel are bullshit. Read the post buy Simon from Evosport. I agree with what he said. In the discussions with Dinan about the throttle bodies and the purchase they NEVER mentioned anything about, " well you need the software ". They were not even clear on how to get the throttle bodies to run right. I have the Active ECU upgrade ( whatever that is regarding power ) and I anticipate the ECU will just equilibrate, ie. timing and A / F mixture. For those that doubtful of the throttle bodies and air-intakes then don't do it and end of story, but I tell you there is a difference in performance and the exhaust note.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Update on the car. Just a tiny microscopic turn of a screw and all is well. The beast is back and kicking some mean *** !!! I've been following all the posts concerning the Dinan software and software in general. I have truly come to believe ECU upgrades are for speed limiter, shifts speeds and possible throttle response. Any other results I feel are bullshit. Read the post buy Simon from Evosport. I agree with what he said. In the discussions with Dinan about the throttle bodies and the purchase they NEVER mentioned anything about, " well you need the software ". They were not even clear on how to get the throttle bodies to run right. I have the Active ECU upgrade ( whatever that is regarding power ) and I anticipate the ECU will just equilibrate, ie. timing and A / F mixture. For those that doubtful of the throttle bodies and air-intakes then don't do it and end of story, but I tell you there is a difference in performance and the exhaust note.
What kind of change did you notice in the exhaust note..and when (ie; WOT, at idle, etc..)

Cheers ///

·
Registered
501 Posts
Actually the BMW dealer should have known that any time you replace throttle bodies on an engine with mulitple t-bodies they MUST be syncronized!! IT IS REGULAR PROTOCAL FROM BMW. This was the same for the E46 M3 and the E39 M5, Dinan has it in the installation instructions.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Actually the BMW dealer should have known that any time you replace throttle bodies on an engine with mulitple t-bodies they MUST be syncronized!! IT IS REGULAR PROTOCAL FROM BMW. This was the same for the E46 M3 and the E39 M5, Dinan has it in the installation instructions.
He had them installed at an indy and not a BMW dealership.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts