BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share with you guys that I talked to a sales rep at Dinan yesterday and he told me that the throttle bodies will ship out to customers on the 27th of October and we should expect to see around 10hp gain. He wouldn't give me exact numbers, just told me approx. expectation.

He also told me that the exhaust will be a cat back system and is expected to ship out to customers at the end of November.

·
Registered
930 Posts
EBuyuk said:
I just wanted to share with you guys that I talked to a sales rep at Dinan yesterday and he told me that the throttle bodies will ship out to customers on the 27th of October and we should expect to see around 10hp gain. He wouldn't give me exact numbers, just told me approx. expectation.

He also told me that the exhaust will be a cat back system and is expected to ship out to customers at the end of November.
Is $3000+ worth it for 10hp?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
905RMP32V1x said:
Is $3000+ worth it for 10hp?
I had told my dealer put me on the list for this part thinking a lot of people would want it. My car is currently there for the differential and I thought it wold be good to get everything installed at once since I am out of the country November 15th. But 2200 + 11hours of labor at $120/hr + 6.5% sales tax = $3750. I don't think this much money is worth the extra 10hp.hmmm

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
EBuyuk said:

$3500 plus for 10 HP doesn't seem like a good deal. I wonder why Dinan started with the throttle bodies as their first HP mod?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Wolverine said:
$3500 plus for 10 HP doesn't seem like a good deal. I wonder why Dinan started with the throttle bodies as their first HP mod?
I'm thinking that if the throttle bodies were offered as a part of a larger package it might make more sense.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Wolverine said:
I wonder why Dinan started with the throttle bodies as their first HP mod?
That's a really good question. My guess is that they have an intake in the works, but are waiting for it to start production. I initially thought it was either that or possibly that they didn't see any noticeable improvements from replacing the stock intakes, but the preliminary results from the K&N setup proved that wrong.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PPG4 said:
That's a really good question. My guess is that they have an intake in the works, but are waiting for it to start production. I initially thought it was either that or possibly that they didn't see any noticeable improvements from replacing the stock intakes, but the preliminary results from the K&N setup proved that wrong.
Are you saying that with an intake, the throttle bodies will perform better? I did ask him if they were planning on coming out with an intake system and he said that everything is in the works at the moment.

·
Registered
902 Posts
EBuyuk said:
Are you saying that with an intake, the throttle bodies will perform better?
That's tough to answer definitively, but in most cases, yes.

Think of the components in your intake system (and exhaust for that matter) as a series of pipes connected together; the pipe that is the most restrictive is going to slow down the entire system. Improving the flow of the most restrictive pipe is going to improve the flow of the whole system.

You could have an intake that by itself adds 15hp, throttle bodies that by themselves add 15hp but together, they could add 40 hp because the airflow characteristics compliment each other so well.

Bear in mind that my comments are both academic and generalized; specific nuances of the S85 E60 could have a substantial impact. In addition to the volume of air being let in, velocity (and temperature) will also impact performance.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Who is still determined to get the throttle bodies? Also do you think we should wait for the Dinan intake system or get the K&N?

·
Registered
930 Posts
EBuyuk said:
Who is still determined to get the throttle bodies? Also do you think we should wait for the Dinan intake system or get the K&N?
I'm on the fence and am inclined to wait for the whole Dinan package ie: intake and trottle bodies to see the overall performance change (and cost).

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm on the fence right now myself, even though given my other mods, I'd be likely to experience greater gains than an otherwise stock setup.

My trepidation is solely based on my desire to stop modding the E60 so I can focus on turning the MCoupe into a Porsche killer and finish restoring my '66 Mustang.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If you plan on doing further modifying as Dinan releases more products, then the throttle body may integrate well with other products. However, as a stand alone product it doesn't make much sense considering the price. However, teamed with software, intake, headers, and exhaust it may make sense.

Then again, the car has 500hp, it is going to take some serious numbers to REALLY feel the difference. I'd be more interested in upgrading the visceral experience of the car with Dinan's exhaust offering.

Travis

·
Registered
902 Posts
M5Kid said:
If you plan on doing further modifying as Dinan releases more products, then the throttle body may integrate well with other products. However, as a stand alone product it doesn't make much sense considering the price. However, teamed with software, intake, headers, and exhaust it may make sense.

Then again, the car has 500hp, it is going to take some serious numbers to REALLY feel the difference. I'd be more interested in upgrading the visceral experience of the car with Dinan's exhaust offering.

Travis
I dunno. Just about everyone noticed the improvement when they removed their carbon filters and that was only good for 8-10 HP. HP isn't the only performance measure; throttle response and drivablity are also important. That being said, comparing a free mod with one that costs $3500 isn't quite fair; they occupy completely different positions on the $ vs. personal utility curve.

The TB's will most likely create a more agressive tone from the engine, particularly when combined with a performance intake. Given that mufflers alone have shown little to no gain by themselves, I'd probably say that getting the Dinan TB's and a new intake setup is going to yield more performance and higher quality (but less obtrusive to the outside world) visceral experience (inside the cabin) than an intake and mufflers that will wake up the neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Interesting regarding the carbon filters.

I think your right regarding the aural experience of your car in regards to obtrusiveness with the TB/intake. However, for me there is nothing better than an agressive exhaust, it's worth it, depsite the odd times when you want a quite car. Also, I doubt that the Dinan exhaust will be as throaty as say, the Eisenmann exhaust. Dinan has always been a little reserved in their exhaust tones.

If it were me, and it isn't, I would do the exhaust by itself, and software if your on your limiter quite a bit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here is an idea for a "package" at the end.

1. intake.
2. throttle bodies
3. exhaust
4. ECU reflash
5. 3.91 dif.

With the above, you'll probably get the "DINAN" badge with it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
LamboPete said:
Here is an idea for a "package" at the end.

1. intake.
2. throttle bodies
3. exhaust
4. ECU reflash
5. 3.91 dif.

With the above, you'll probably get the "DINAN" badge with it.
I'm in for the group buy!

·
Registered
902 Posts
905RMP32V1x said:
I'm in for the group buy!
Too bad Dinan doesn't do group buys (they won't undercut their dealers)... we'd have to find a cooperative dealer. I know there are a few dealer employees floating around here, any of you work at Dinan dealers?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can someone please explain to me why the E60 M5 TB costs $2199 with 11 hours of labor when the TB for the 5.45 costs $499 with 0.8 hours of labor. And the TB for the 5.50 costs $499 with 0.7 hours labor. Can there be a mistake on the numbers for the M5? If it really is $2199 and 11 hours of labor I will not go ahead with this mod until I get a logical explanation as why it the total cost comes out to be 6 times the cost of the 5.50 makes no sense to me.

Also from what it looks like Dinan has come out with a fly wheel for the 5.50 and they will probably come out with one for the M5 soon as well. I don't know if that will be worth it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
EBuyuk said:
Can someone please explain to me why the E60 M5 TB costs $2199 with 11 hours of labor when the TB for the 5.45 costs $499 with 0.8 hours of labor. And the TB for the 5.50 costs $499 with 0.7 hours labor. Can there be a mistake on the numbers for the M5? If it really is $2199 and 11 hours of labor I will not go ahead with this mod until I get a logical explanation as why it the total cost comes out to be 6 times the cost of the 5.50 makes no sense to me.

Also from what it looks like Dinan has come out with a fly wheel for the 5.50 and they will probably come out with one for the M5 soon as well. I don't know if that will be worth it.
Because tuners like to RIP people off! Why do the SS headers cost 7 000 when any other headers cost half of that? Why ECU reflash cost 1100+ bux? Just because Tuners think it is reasonable price, when in real life it shouldnt cost more than 400-500 bux.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts