BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start out with by thanking LI-M5 big time here. As many of you know from past threads/posts, I was debating the Dinan Stage 2 suspension but was concerned about ride quality. Neil suggested that I do just the Front Control System and Adjustable Rear Sway Bar. This is effectively the remainder of the Stage 2 package if you do not lower the car.

Well, I picked her up yesterday and based on my first impressions, I am really impressed with the difference. There is virtually no understeer anymore and the car just tracks through the corners. Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to really push the limits on the way home from the dealership as I had my winter wheels and tires in the back seat (yeah, I know, bring it on. but how the else was I going to get them home) and when I took her back out at night, the rain had started. I plan to do some more extensive "testing" and will post the results.

All in the upgrades were less than $500! If you want to upgrade the suspension but are not interested is lowering you car, I highly recommend these parts. Once again, thanks to Neil for the sound advice! Now if that damn rear diff would arrive already!

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
$500...PARTS & LABOR????....from Dinan installed by Dealer????.....
What do these parts consist of???....rubberbands and & paper clips???.....DAMN!!!.....that is dirt cheap....How did you manage that...Oh Master of the Stellar Deal!!
Regards
Sergio

·
Registered
605 Posts
He only did the front roll control and rear sway bar which are about $250 for the parts, then I guess he paid around 2 hours of labor for install. These components are great, I love them, really did change the car (I did install the lowering springs at the same time, but I attribute most of the handling improvements to the sways!)
Congrats,
Evan

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The rear sway bar is $180 and an hour install. The FCS (which is really just a couple of small brackets) is $79 and a 45 minute install. So that is about $260 in parts and $220 in labor. Compared to the cost of the Stage 2 installed (almost $3K), it is a hell of a deal.

I have to say that I was very surprised (despite my faith in Neil's judgement -- well, at least with respect to mods:3: ) at how significant an improvement this makes. If the 3.91 is the best bang for the buck "go forward fast" mod, then this has to be the best bang for the buck for handling. I don't know how much more you get with the full Stage 2 kit, but I can't imagine it would be worth it (for me) to sacrifice the ride quality and the extra $$$. Then again, I don't track my car on any regular basis.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Glad you are happy with these parts, Andrew. It sounds like you have struck the proper balance given how you use the car. I don't blame you for not wanting to lower the car in New York.

The full Stage 2 kit costs $872.50 and 10.5 hours of install. Depending on the dealer's labor rate, the total cost is around $2,000.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Glad you are happy with these parts, Andrew. It sounds like you have struck the proper balance given how you use the car. I don't blame you for not wanting to lower the car in New York.

The full Stage 2 kit costs $872.50 and 10.5 hours of install. Depending on the dealer's labor rate, the total cost is around $2,000.

Amazing...a Dinan Stage 2 kit is LESS than the one for an E39???....meethhinks I got hosed....LOL
at any rate +1 Andrew....you have not fallen prey to the OVER MODS.....you are doing what you want to just tweek the car.
"M"

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Amazing...a Dinan Stage 2 kit is LESS than the one for an E39???....meethhinks I got hosed....LOL
at any rate +1 Andrew....you have not fallen prey to the OVER MODS.....you are doing what you want to just tweek the car.
"M"
I think the main reasons are that the E60 kit does not incorporate shocks or a front antiroll bar because Dinan decided that it could not improve on the stock one.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
thanks for the kind words andrew !! im glad you like it !! i've been saying it since i had it insstalled for x-mas..

i totally agree if you don't want the lower look or gonna track the car then this is much better than spending all the extra $$ for the stage 2

·
Registered
522 Posts
Good deal Andrew. I'll probably end up getting the rear bar and FCS but putting it on myself. Everything is much cheaper without labor, so long as you don't mind putting in the hours. I figure my entire suspension will cost <$600. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to a more detailed report. I imagine there's no decrease in ride quality, since it's only the bars.

Have fun!

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good deal Andrew. I'll probably end up getting the rear bar and FCS but putting it on myself. Everything is much cheaper without labor, so long as you don't mind putting in the hours. I figure my entire suspension will cost <$600. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to a more detailed report. I imagine there's no decrease in ride quality, since it's only the bars.

Have fun!
I have not detected any change to the ride quality. That was key for me.

·
Registered
522 Posts
harold you goy way to much time on your hands !!
Working on cars is one of my hobbies, so it sorta takes priority over certain things right now (TV and lounging). My GF is pretty forgiving and lets me go and have fun, I guess I'm lucky that way. :3:

I also like knowing that something is done right. On my last E30 M3, I did the entire engine swap (4-cyl out, 6-cyl in) and was very satisfied when I turned the key and it fired up. I am fortunate enough to have access to a lift and lots of tools, which I know not everyone has.

Next will probably come the diff install. It looks pretty easy compared to the diff on the M3. After that, I'm probably done. The one job I hate the most is a header install. What a royal PITB. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the full Dinan Stage 2 suspension system installed, and have not experienced any issues with ride quality.

The Dinan springs have better compression and rebound rates compared to stock, and work *much* better at all speeds. The car is much more settled over rough pavement, especially above 80 mph.

Zero choppiness. Zero body roll. Zero understeer.

The Dinan springs lower the front by 7/8 inch, and rear by 3/4 inch - barely noticeable.

This mod truly puts the M5 in the "supercar" league.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Wow... I thought the sway bar in the rear would be a cause for concern on ride quality. The stiffer the roll bars, the less give the indy suspension has over bumps. I am shocked. And the rear setup affect ride quailty more than fronts.

Am I wrong here?

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Working on cars is one of my hobbies, so it sorta takes priority over certain things right now (TV and lounging). My GF is pretty forgiving and lets me go and have fun, I guess I'm lucky that way. :3:

I also like knowing that something is done right. On my last E30 M3, I did the entire engine swap (4-cyl out, 6-cyl in) and was very satisfied when I turned the key and it fired up. I am fortunate enough to have access to a lift and lots of tools, which I know not everyone has.

Next will probably come the diff install. It looks pretty easy compared to the diff on the M3. After that, I'm probably done. The one job I hate the most is a header install. What a royal PITB. You couldn't pay me enough to do that job.

I guess headers on the E60 are a pain.....every car definately offers unique issues....when the Dinan Stage 3 suspension was installed in my e39...the motor had to be lifted out:haha: ...other wise you could not get to the front strut housings etc.....now THAT was PIA!!!....Headers are a ***** especially when you do this mod. to older cars....bolts are aged/rusted/stuck on the manifold....you pop a hernia trying to turn the bolts!!!
The BEST car I ever worked on was my E30 M3 as well...what a joy...the E36 was not too bad either...but I won't tinker w/the E39...let the Tech do it!
Regards
"M"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts