BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 m5 with factory susp. I looking at either kw coilovers or dinan stage 3. Does dinan stage 3 make big difference

·
10,455 Posts
yes, i think it does. I've been really happy with my suspension from dinan. I think it's a great compromise between what I want on the track, and what i really want the other 355 days of the year. Personally, i would not want any stiffer for a daily driver, but that's me... I think what you plan on doing with the car is an important factor, what your roads are like, if you drive the car daily etc.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Very well said Mike, I agree.

The Dinan Stg. 3 has a reputation for being a great suspension, not only because of it's performance enhancment to the car, but also because of the ride quality tradeoff, or lack there of. You mentioned that you were also considering KW coilovers. A board member once did a writeup on his findings between the two suspensions, after he drove a Dinan Stg. 3 car and his own car, equipped with KW coilovers. He found the KW's to be similar to the Dinan suspension in ride quality, yet the KW's did a better job of limiting dive, pitch, and role. Also, with the KW's being as it's a coilover setup, you have a wide range of adjustability. The Dinan's are strut/shock adjustable only.

Both suspensions offer similar performance and tradeoffs, with each one being targeted to a slightly different crowd. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Let me know if you have any further questions, or visit our website (www.beastpower.com) for more information on the KW's.

Take care,

Travis

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Look to at the bilstein PSS9 that is out now, it can be had for 1500 dollers at SHox.com and has tons of adjustability.

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I took the Dinan setup off my car, too 'road' for me. Ride wasn't great and I didn't get on with it.

Much happier with the Eibach setup, which is I suspect very similar to the KW setup. I have NIL problems with carrying passengers at the ride height I run and it is VERY comfortable on a trip (progressive springs)

I would still plump for the PSS9 if I were you. It wasn't available when I bought my setup, Bilstein's are excellent shocks... :wroom:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Heres pretty much how the list goes==going from least to best down the line

Street work:
Sport springs
ACS/Eibach
Dinan/koni
PSS9

Light track work:
ACS DFC
Pss9
Dinan/JRZ
H&R's
KW's
Ground Control

Dedicated Tracker
H&R
KW
Ground Control custom spec'd

Now, the Kw's the Dinan with the JRZ and the Ground Control can all be used for street work and many persons use them as such.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Rob,

I would disagree. I really don't think there is a suspension setup out there that would work for "dedicated" track work. Certainly there are some with heavier springs, and more aggressive shocks/struts. All the suspension setups will help on the track, with some helping more than others, but none of them are close to dedicated. They all have street use in mind first, in my opinion.

Travis

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
travis,

While most of the systems certainly do see street applications more than other, lets both admit that the ones that i listed as dedicated have more agressivly built internals than those on the lower side of things.

Sure any of these setups could be used for tracking a car, but for those persons that use their cars as track worthy vehicles, you will never see Dinans/koni setup on a car..why? Its not built for the work on a track..nor is my ACS DFC system. Simply not cut out for dedicated work...

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Rob,

What do you consider a "track worthy vehicle"? I know guys who run multiple track days a year, using stock suspension and brakes. Are there cars not track worthy?

I agree with you though, the suspension you listed under "dedicated tracker" are the most aggressive out of the bunch. But, I still beleive even the most non aggressive suspensions will help.

Travis

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
im not saying that the m5 is not a track worthy vehicle, but the stock shocks and springs are not designed for dedicated use all while maintaining the durability that they are expected to. In addition there are some that just do not feel like spending money on upgrading the suspension of their cars...

And I agree that all of the suspensions are going to help with feeling overall but once again, for serious track work, the smartest idea would be to pair the chasis of the car with a system that is designed for more agressive use. This is exactly why i believe daniel even swapped out his dinan/koni setup for the KW's..

·
Registered
797 Posts
slowcar said:
I have a 2000 m5 with factory susp. I looking at either kw coilovers or dinan stage 3. Does dinan stage 3 make big difference
Going from OEM setup to Dinan Stage 2 (with Konis but without the 28 mm front anti-roll bar, part of the full S2 package) was like night and day. Turn-in was instant, with almost zero lean. Understeer was almost completely gone.

I just (last week) installed Dinan JRZ struts and shocks, camber plates, and 28 mm anti-roll bar. Handling is now even better than it was with Stage 2 with the Konis. I do plan to set the struts and shocks slightly more agressive than they are now.

I should also point out that going to lightweight (Dinan) wheels also made a big difference in handling.

Jeff :cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts