BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody,

i was thinking of gettin a Dinan supercharger.... with prices being so high i wanted to ask people with superchargers and people knowing alot about them, does it cause alot of problems in the long run... i have a 2000 m5 with 35,000 miles on it and around 39,000 miles i wanted to get a dinan supercharger but i dont want to end up paying double for it in the future due to problems caused by it. so for those of you who have one did it cause many engine problems? how long have you had it? will it cause any problems with a Supersprint Exhaust? please let me know thanks p.s. what would be the best clutch to support all the horsepower?

jesh

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
There are several hundred posts discussing everything from what system to buy, to what clutch to run, to what sub-frame mods are needed and brakes to upgrade.. Impact on warranty and other needed engine mods...

If you are seriously looking to spend that money, do the research- don't rely on it getting it regurgitated here in this thread.

I can tell you that there are only (to the best of my knowledge) two supercharged M5s on the road- both by DA. (Blackm5 and phillym5)

One Dinan was 'returned to stock':
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54936&highlight=dinan

Anyone know of a custoemr owned S3??

My opinion: if money is a concern, buy a faster car with a warranty.

A

·
Registered
175 Posts
ard,
In addition to the two from D/A there are others. Dinan has at least two working S3's. One is Steve Dinan's and the other has been written about over on the M3Forum.com under the M5 section, pictures included. Bet there are others on the road and in the works.
Active Autowerks (AA) is developing a twin s/c'ed kit and drove it from Miami to/from an auto show in Orlando - kit is not finished yet for sale to mere mortals.

Jeshie7,
S/C'ing an E39 M5 is apparently not easy to do as per the experiences some folks have had and the money spent. First there was the RMS "experience". No one was happy with that. Then the D/A "experience". There was a third s/c'ed M5 from D/A (actually the first) that did not turn out so well. It is being worked on by AA and may be runnig by now. The owners of the second and third s/c'ed M5's say they like the results, but have never really published the initial cost and the on-going cost to keep it running. This is important as the cost od the S3 is not cheap, but no one knows what the D/a cars cost - could be evem more.

It has taken Dinan at least 3 years to develop their S3 kit. There was one test mule (referenced by ard) that was successfully built and run (two years in development), but then taken apart and returned to S2 status.

Be aware that it may not be easy to s/c the S62 engine.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Your looking at 70k for a dinan supercharger kit, and your worried about long term cost?

Whoa. :eek:

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
That 70k includes a bunch of stuff...Brembo/Dinan brakes, $4000+ of Dinan wheels, etc...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
So far with my car...fully built motor and GIANT supercharger. The costs have been close to nothing. It takes more oil refills.. like half a quart every few days if I'm non stop running it hard under boost. 3/4 quart every 4 weeks when driving normal and hitting full boost on occasion. It seems like alot, but in the "real world" It seems so minimul. Remember, I drive my car everyday. The gas mileage is ok. Not good, but ok. I average about 12-16 on normal city driving, 20-24 on the highway at 75-80mph. When under boost....gas mileage....who's heard of that? :hihihi:

I honestly have no idea what the project on my car cost. I bought it already done. Also, my car is easily serviced at the dealer. Just got an oil change yesterday. Anyway, I have put a few thousand miles on this car. The MAFS went bad, but was easily diagnosed by BMW. Other than that, no issues in the engine bay, or the electronics.

josh.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
CSBM5 said:
That 70k includes a bunch of stuff...Brembo/Dinan brakes, $4000+ of Dinan wheels, etc...
Yes and the only way dinan will give you the s3 is to do everything and to have them do it. THe only option you get is the 3.45 diff or stock..S2 stuff is mandatory. Brakes, wheels mandatory...O you do have the choice of R tires or not, of which steve will call you him self and push you to get the R tires.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
phinnbillM5 said:
ard,
In addition to the two from D/A there are others. Dinan has at least two working S3's. One is Steve Dinan's and the other has been written about over on the M3Forum.com under the M5 section, pictures included. Bet there are others on the road and in the works.
Active Autowerks (AA) is developing a twin s/c'ed kit and drove it from Miami to/from an auto show in Orlando - kit is not finished yet for sale to mere mortals.
Well aware.

My point is, there is virtually no sample size! 2 DAs, Blochs that is maybe on the road now, maybe not. Steve's car, a mule that seems had to be reverted to stock... one at AA as an engineering test bed.

and now one more Dinan over on the other boards?

Future projects and cars in the shop being done don't count when someone is asking about long term stuff.

Out of the universe of E39M5s there are, what 4 on the road, or 5, or 6? (OK, maybe 10 and customers haven't 'come out' publically..)

This is not an undertaking for the faint of heart.

I think it is great, I applaud those that try this, I support the efforts, I don't care who's dynos at the most... cool stuff.

Just not your every day, tested and proven mod...

A

PS How come the link I posted never got much discussion here??

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
ard said:
Well aware.

My point is, there is virtually no sample size! 2 DAs, Blochs that is maybe on the road now, maybe not. Steve's car, a mule that seems had to be reverted to stock... one at AA as an engineering test bed.

and now one more Dinan over on the other boards?

Future projects and cars in the shop being done don't count when someone is asking about long term stuff.

Out of the universe of E39M5s there are, what 4 on the road, or 5, or 6? (OK, maybe 10 and customers haven't 'come out' publically..)

This is not an undertaking for the faint of heart.

I think it is great, I applaud those that try this, I support the efforts, I don't care who's dynos at the most... cool stuff.

Just not your every day, tested and proven mod...

A

PS How come the link I posted never got much discussion here??

whats the link?

·
Registered
977 Posts
I remember when AA had introduced their E46 M3 S/C kit, there were a lot of skeptical people out there, but now they have dozens of kits out there, and with plenty of drivers who really beat the snot out of their car every day. It's a top notch kit and no one has had any complaints with it. I suspect their M5 kit will end up a long the same lines.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
HDClown said:
I remember when AA had introduced their E46 M3 S/C kit, there were a lot of skeptical people out there, but now they have dozens of kits out there, and with plenty of drivers who really beat the snot out of their car every day. It's a top notch kit and no one has had any complaints with it. I suspect their M5 kit will end up a long the same lines.
HD...i hate to go against what you have said but there have been quite a few issues with the AA kits for the E46 M3. Most have been worked out at this point but when it first came out, there were still issues to be worked out. AA has done a great job of constatly refining and working with owners to ensure that the kits have become all that they were promised.

·
Registered
977 Posts
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
HD...i hate to go against what you have said but there have been quite a few issues with the AA kits for the E46 M3. Most have been worked out at this point but when it first came out, there were still issues to be worked out. AA has done a great job of constatly refining and working with owners to ensure that the kits have become all that they were promised.
I wasn't trying to say the kit was perfect out the shoot, but right now it seems like every owner is satisfied and they have a genuine, off the shelf, DIY capable kit that doesn't require a huge chunk out of your pocket. Hopefully the M5 kit will follow the same path.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Jayson said:
Thats interesting I'd like to hear more from him. He says it woun't run per his expectations yet would still work with Dinan...I need more details to draw somthing from that. Esp since there are other dinan s/c cars out there now.
Didn't seem like he wanted to answer any questions...

:(

A

PS chute... it's a bronc busting term I guess..

·
Company Representative for Active Autowerke
189 Posts
Hello Board,

Let me clarify that the M5 Supercharger kit has been moving along smoothly. After driving the car around for a while we notice that there were parts of the car that could do with better reinforcement (ie the air plenum for a E46 M3 which some companies felt it was better to leave alone).

After we receive the new parts which are now in the manafacturing process we will then move on to bigger injectors and complete our dyno tuning. If there are any locals here that are interested in seeing the M5 feel free to stop by the shop and check it out. I want to apologize for the timeline being thrown of a bit with these delays. I also want to thank you guys for your ongoing interest and patience.

p.s. We have had great success with the M5 software tuning and I am currently offering performance packages which include headers, exhaust, cai, and software. Please PM me or email for details on our performance packages. Those of you who are interested in the SC kit you may be interested in the Header, Exhaust, and software combo which can be used along with the Supercharger kit for added performance.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Better to do it right, than to rush it out....

fast things come to those that wait?

A

1 - 20 of 27 Posts