BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HvCqYjkReAE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>

·
Registered
917 Posts
Very nice. Although I am curious as to where the 680 HP figure comes from?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice. Although I am curious as to where the 680 HP figure comes from?
Probably a little optimistic, but quoted from my installer based on also having the midsection, 13% underdrive pulley, and decatted headers. More likely around 650 at the crank, but 680 is conceivable in colder weather.

Reactions: trol

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Amazing car and video! I will have to look (and listen) out for you when I'm in ATL on business!! Thanks for sharing!! :cheers:

Reactions: xraym5

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Flames at 3:06. :)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
I saw your vids posted by babystat on Luxury4Play. What a wicked sounding sleeper! :)

I was questioning the 680hp as well since Dinan quotes 628 with everything including pulley and mid section so I didn't think you can get 52hp from the headers but nonetheless, that car will kick a lot of supercar asses whatever the true number is. hahaha

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
489 Posts
What a great sounding car!

Did you ever dyno the car after the modifications to get a before and after? I haven't seen an actual dyno on a Dinan Stroker yet.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What a great sounding car!

Did you ever dyno the car after the modifications to get a before and after? I haven't seen an actual dyno on a Dinan Stroker yet.

No dyno but Darren_Dallas' stroker dyno'd at around 550 RWHP. Apparently the dyno results for our V10's typically underestimate the true RWHP due to the high air flow requirements. One of my gauges for power gains has been my Performance Box 0-60 MPH times. When I had the exhaust, software, TB's, and airboxes my best 0-60 was 4.3 seconds. With the stroker best time is 3.8 seconds (with lots of wheelspin).

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
No dyno but Darren_Dallas' stroker dyno'd at around 550 RWHP. Apparently the dyno results for our V10's typically underestimate the true RWHP due to the high air flow requirements. One of my gauges for power gains has been my Performance Box 0-60 MPH times. When I had the exhaust, software, TB's, and airboxes my best 0-60 was 4.3 seconds. With the stroker best time is 3.8 seconds (with lots of wheelspin).
I was there with Darren when his car was dynoed at Dinan's facility in Morgan Hill on their Maha Dyno. IIRC, he had all the same additional mods as your car except he had Supersprint headers, not modified stock units. As for the air flow, you can't get a stronger fan than what Dinan has which probably comes the closest to replicating real world wind speeds.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I was there with Darren when his car was dynoed at Dinan's facility in Morgan Hill on their Maha Dyno. IIRC, he had all the same additional mods as your car except he had Supersprint headers, not modified stock units. As for the air flow, you can't get a stronger fan than what Dinan has which probably comes the closest to replicating real world wind speeds.
Let's just say from MY experience........it's rated at: Fast as HellRWHP
550, 680, the world may never know, but at the end of the day that thing MOVES!:M5launch: To think you can take you kids to school (I won't be), hit up Starbucks, do 150mph on the highway to work and be 5 minutes early is ridiculous. E60 M5 RULES!!!!! :thumbsup: Vent over........:S

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Let's just say from MY experience........it's rated at: Fast as HellRWHP
550, 680, the world may never know, but at the end of the day that thing MOVES!:M5launch: To think you can take you kids to school (I won't be), hit up Starbucks, do 150mph on the highway to work and be 5 minutes early is ridiculous. E60 M5 RULES!!!!! :thumbsup: Vent over........:S
Thanks, my sapphire black M5 is starting to blush and looking more like Indy red. Coming from someone who has had seat time in virtually every modern exotic, that is saying a lot. :cheers:

And I have seen the actual video from Dinan of Darren's dyno. My point was that in general most dynos underestimate the true RWHP of the E60 M5, but I agree that Dinan's high speed fan most likely renders a more accurate reading. Unfortunately I don't have access to that here in Atlanta.

Case in point. Here is a video of a CTS-V versus a Dinan stroker, and both cars dyno about the same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dI9K6S7bOU

·
Registered
7,329 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I was not challenging your comments or the power of the stroker; just stating my experience. I actually raced Darren after he picked up his car from Dinan that day. Back then, my car had full RDSport bolt-ons (headers, race cats, xpipe, competition exhaust, pulley, tune) and RPI scoops/BMC filters. Of course, all I saw was a lot of dust as Darren pulled about 10 cars on me at around 150mph. He posted a thread about it on here too. haha

I've also seen that race against the CTS-V. You probably know but that's also Darren's car.

Reactions: xraym5

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't get me wrong. I was not challenging your comments or the power of the stroker; just stating my experience. I actually raced Darren after he picked up his car from Dinan that day. Back then, my car had full RDSport bolt-ons (headers, race cats, xpipe, competition exhaust, pulley, tune) and RPI scoops/BMC filters. Of course, all I saw was a lot of dust as Darren pulled about 10 cars on me at around 150mph. He posted a thread about it on here too. haha

I've also seen that race against the CTS-V. You probably know but that's also Darren's car.

Ah, yes, Darren's car indeed. I really miss not having him and his Texas videos on the board. Hope he is doing well.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 36 Posts