BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonight I was able to meet up with my 997 TT friend for some comparison runs after he received his car back from the dealer.

The results were dramatically improved from this weekend when I couldn't pull him at all and we were neck and neck during the runs.

This time we started from 40 mph and I instantly walked him and kept putting car lengths on him until I decided to let off. We rinsed and repeated the process 2 more times with the same results and the second time I started at 4,500 RPMs (definitely not the traditional sweet spot for our cars).

When we pulled over he a seemed very impressed and said he never missed a shift once and nailed the RPMs perfectly for his car. He also mentioned he started at full boost each time and couldn't believe how I could pull him immediately when we would start the run.

We'll get some videos for everyone this week to help put some perspective on the difference, but it was dramatic. Of course the 997TT is no slouch at all so the gap wasn't like it was in the videos I posted against the stock M5, but they were still impressive and enough where he was clearly a few car lenghts in my rear view mirror when I decided to let off. We also didn't run as fast as we did in the video against the stock M5.

Just thought I would share. Don't worry, we will post some videos for everyone to make their own conclusions.

I continue to be very impressed with the Dinan stroker conversion and would highly recommend it to anyone!

Also, I just had to order a new set of 305mm rear tires today. :eek:h:

Cheers,

Darren

·
Registered
924 Posts
awesome, used m5 out of warranty plus a dinan motor seemslike the way to go...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Congrats man! Nothing like N/A power!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I would expect these results. too bad it takes $40k to walk on a 997TT.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
$40K, hmm, I would pay even $50k. Still would be cheaper than the 997 turbo and more comfortable, but I wouldnt compare the two cars. I think Darren was racing the 997 turbo to confirm that he and others with the stroker have the fastest 4 door luxury sedan available, oh did I mention is still has warranty! That alone makes it very tempting, Maybe after santa comes over I will be heading to Dinan:santasmile2:, UNLESS :2: gets to me first, LOL.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Sounds great Darren, cant wait to see the videos. How is torque down low from a dig? I'm curious to hear how much better that is.

·
Registered
344 Posts
it doesn't take $40,000 to walk a 997TT

I would expect these results. too bad it takes $40k to walk on a 997TT.
avi8tir,

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/125904-raced-997-turbo-auto-mighty-gtr.html

see my post, it doesn't take $40,000. all you need is aftermarket headers, pulley and straight pipes. then you can walk a 997 TT past 200 km/h and even catch a GTR by the toe!

i figure you can get and install the parts mentioned above for around $7,000 USD which is quite a reasonable deal!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
avi8tir,

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/125904-raced-997-turbo-auto-mighty-gtr.html

see my post, it doesn't take $40,000. all you need is aftermarket headers, pulley and straight pipes. then you can walk a 997 TT past 200 km/h and even catch a GTR by the toe!

i figure you can get and install the parts mentioned above for around $7,000 USD which is quite a reasonable deal!
I think what is most interesting is that we started from around 40 mph and I walked him instantly. We didn't have to wait until 120+ mph to pull him.

The torque down low is so instantaneous it's incredible. It feels like I'm driving a supercharged V8 when I'm in low RPM because it's so different than my non-stroked engine.

Hopefully my friend with the 997TT (Quintinnn, aka Drift King :blink:) will share his thoughts on the run as well.

Regards,

Darren

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice!! I love to read this story!! Well worth the $$ if you ask me. You now have the sickest machine ever by a bmw!!

Thank you very much! But just wait, if you think this is sick SBM6 will have his stroked M6 finished today. Wait until you see his beast in action! OMG!! :M5launch:

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Thank you very much! But just wait, if you think this is sick SBM6 will have his stroked M6 finished today. Wait until you see his beast in action! OMG!! :M5launch:
I'm sure more videos to come from DFW crew. M6 Stroker vs M5 Stroker vs HPF M3 vs Ford GT...on on on....:goldcup:.

DFW, what a happy place on earthlovelove

Congrats again Darren and SBM6...you both well deserve round of applaud:applause: and thank you for sharing your experience. :thankyou:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Tonight I was able to meet up with my 997 TT friend for some comparison runs after he received his car back from the dealer.

The results were dramatically improved from this weekend when I couldn't pull him at all and we were neck and neck during the runs.

This time we started from 40 mph and I instantly walked him and kept putting car lengths on him until I decided to let off. We rinsed and repeated the process 2 more times with the same results and the second time I started at 4,500 RPMs (definitely not the traditional sweet spot for our cars).

When we pulled over he a seemed very impressed and said he never missed a shift once and nailed the RPMs perfectly for his car. He also mentioned he started at full boost each time and couldn't believe how I could pull him immediately when we would start the run.

We'll get some videos for everyone this week to help put some perspective on the difference, but it was dramatic. Of course the 997TT is no slouch at all so the gap wasn't like it was in the videos I posted against the stock M5, but they were still impressive and enough where he was clearly a few car lenghts in my rear view mirror when I decided to let off. We also didn't run as fast as we did in the video against the stock M5.

Just thought I would share. Don't worry, we will post some videos for everyone to make their own conclusions.

I continue to be very impressed with the Dinan stroker conversion and would highly recommend it to anyone!

Also, I just had to order a new set of 305mm rear tires today. :eek:h:

Cheers,

Darren
Awesome, but let me know when you guys are doing runs!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yup, I admit I got smoked pretty bad last night by Darren haha! I am really impressed with how his car is running. I gave it my best, but the results will show you that his car is just a monster; We will try to get videos the next go around. :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Have to admit that the Dinan stroker is looking better than
it once did. When all you see is cost without backup it seems
ridiculous.

If you can master putting the power to the ground from a
stop it would be very interesting to see how it fairs against
the TT from a dig. BTW, is this a tektronic TT?

BTW, when is dyno day?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have to admit that the Dinan stroker is looking better than
it once did. When all you see is cost without backup it seems
ridiculous.

If you can master putting the power to the ground from a
stop it would be very interesting to see how it fairs against
the TT from a dig. BTW, is this a tektronic TT?

BTW, when is dyno day?

Q's 997TT is a manual. I'll try some launches from a dig. I already tried the launch control (US crippled version) and it will definitely take some practice to master due to the extra power.

I should have a dyno completed this week.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts