BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car back the other day from Dinan for the Stage 2 suspension setup and all I can say is....WOW! This is a totally different car now. It feels so balanced now. And you get this nice little confident building four wheel drift when you're pushing the edge. It feels twice as predictable. Turn in is excellent and it feels like the car lost about 800lbs.

Today was the first chance I had to get it out on some twisties (NorCal Hwy 9 and 35) and really get a feel for it. Since I picked it up on Wednesday I've only been able to drive it back and forth to work. (Gotta pay for the stuff you know). I was really concerned about how much the ride to work on our crappy Hwy 101 would deteriorate but it really wasn't much at all. Dinan did offer to put my old stuff back on for no charge and take back the parts if I didn't like it. I guess they could offer that because they knew what an awesome improvement it would be.

Like I said, I went back and forth for two days, feel the ride and debating with my self if the ride was still ok on the freeway. It must of actually degraded just ever so slightly good because I didn't really notice the ride at all - so at that point I was feeling "ok" with it.

Then this morning I got it out on the fun roads. As soon hit my first series of corners (suspension set at "Normal" (one light), and the traction control on MDM) there was no way I was taking it back for the old stuff. A corner that was pretty comfortable before at 80 felt twice as confident at 95. That plus the tires (PS2) seems so much more predictable. (I had continentals on before and got the PS2s abot two weeks ago and put about 1200 miles on them before getting the suspension work so it's not just the tires). And when you get on it nice and towards the limit you get this lively, super balanced, four wheel slip going on. I've still got the big grin on my face.

Anyone who's on the fence about this --- Go for it. I know there are a lot of people who say the Dinan differential is the best bang for the buck but we've already got 500 HP and plenty of juice. For $2000 less than the diff job, the suspension gives you a car that handles at least twice as good.

Loving it!
2006 E60 M5 Silverstone

Roger

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Did you take before and after pics. I'd love to see the set-up. Congrats, it sounds like you are a very satisfied customer.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yep........

Dinan suspension systems on these "M" cars, combined with the right tires, are simply f**king MAGIC, IMO. Completely transforms these 2 ton beasts into handling machines; no question about it. :cheers:

Dan :checkeredflag:

·
Registered
566 Posts
That's great!!

That's great:) I feel much better now had'nt really heard any feedback on the stage 2 suspension, I'm getting mine installed on Dec12 along with the Dinan Diff. Was supposed to get it done this past week but had to go out of the country on business.:grrrrr: Parker23 do you have the stock 19 inch wheels on or do you have 20's.??

·
Registered
330 Posts
DinodealM5 said:
That's great:) I feel much better now had'nt really heard any feedback on the stage 2 suspension, I'm getting mine installed on Dec12 along with the Dinan Diff. Was supposed to get it done this past week but had to go out of the country on business.:grrrrr: Parker23 do you have the stock 19 inch wheels on or do you have 20's.??
Daaaammmmnnnnnnn DINO I guess your getting ready for spring & the twisties.....can't wait...to see it and hear it again....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got the stock wheels on it as you can see in the pictures. I was originally concerned that the car would look too lowered but it's almost hard to even notice the difference but it seems to look better. Some of that gap is gone on the fronts. 7/8" drop on the front - 3/4" drop on the rear.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thumbnail on the left (with the sun shining on the front bumper) is before. The picture on the right with the garage door closed is after.

·
Registered
566 Posts
DucatiBMW said:
Daaaammmmnnnnnnn DINO I guess your getting ready for spring & the twisties.....can't wait...to see it and hear it again....
Got to keep up with the P-car in the twisties come spring.:)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Parker23 said:
I've got the stock wheels on it as you can see in the pictures. I was originally concerned that the car would look too lowered but it's almost hard to even notice the difference but it seems to look better. Some of that gap is gone on the fronts. 7/8" drop on the front - 3/4" drop on the rear.
Thanks for the pics, looks good, it's very subtle. Glad to hear such positive feedback on it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
jmayzurk said:
I think you just sold a few Dinan kits...
I second this, now i cant wait for my shop to call.:M5thumbs: ps, thanks for nice write-up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Other than the commuting ride quality being a tiny bit tighter/stiffer, the $2300 it cost and the fact that I'll probably go through more rubber over the next few months (just got back in a few minutes ago from another 120 miles down the coast then back up through Hwy 9 and 35) I'm not experience ANY downsides yet.

The tires aren't rubbing, the car doesn't bottom out, Dinan says you can still put people in the backseats and it won't bottom out. I better shut up now the smile on my face is starting to hurt my ears. :7:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Will this mod work for th E63 M6?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Hwy's 9 and 35. Man, you've got some great roads up there. 'Would actually consider moving back there just to have those 100's and 100's of NorCal roads readily available to me, once again; not to mention club outtings, etc. at Infineon and Laguna Seca; also Western Oregon, Northern Nevada; and the list goes on and on. 'Just freaking outstanding!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts