BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the Dinan system installed this week. Thanks to Chuck's suggestions and intel, I was able to convince my dealer to apply as 15% discount to both parts and labor, resulting in a total bill of $1,790.

Immediately, the car felt noticeably sharper. It was not until today that I was able to take it for an aggressive loop. I am on stock wheels with the original Continental tires at the end of their life span. (I resisted changing the tires to accurately assess the difference that the suspension system makes.) The next trip to VIR will provide the best measure of the improvements. For now, my impressions are the following:

(1) In sum, the system fulfills Dinan's mission precisely -- it makes an already excellent product noticeably better with no apparent compromise.

(2) If the ride quality has degraded, it is imperceptible.

(3) Body roll is virtually nonexistent now.

(4) Understeer is noticeably reduced and I was unable to induce understeer on the roads I drove today despite trying valiantly.

(5) The car feels even more precise and more nimble. It is even easier to place it exactly where the driver wants in a corner. It is even more unflappable in quick transitions from left to right turns and vice versa.

(6) The car has a monumental amount of grip and it is clear that its handling limits have been increased noticeably.

(7) Perhaps the best compliment is that it instills even more confidence by being more planted, more balanced, and more secure.

(8) Aesthetically, the lowering is somewhere between subtle and imperceptible. The first photo is the "Before" and the second is the "After." The fact that I need to identify which is which shows how slight the difference is. The springs may compress more over the next days or weeks, and I will post follow-up photos is there is a noticeable difference between now and then. If there is a disappointment, it is the lack of a more lowered look. However, I gladly accept the preservation of the stock ride quality as the trade-off.

For anyone wanting to improve the car's handling, this is unquestionably a worthwhile investment. The stock car's limits already are so high that the benefits will not make themselves apparent until the driver pushes the car, but the improvements are significant enough that one does not need to push near the limits to experience the improvement.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Sounds great! I will be installing RDSport Springs with the Dinan Front Roll Control and Rear Sway! I am hoping to get similar results with a lower look! Sounds like Dinan hit this one on the head, hopefully its the parts I am getting that really make a difference :7:
Congrats again, sound awesome!
Evan

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Thanks for the direct comparison. I am on the fence about the Stage 2. Glad to hear about the ride. If the springs settle more, please do update. From the pics, it is hard to tell that it was lowered 7/8ths and 3/4... I do hope they settle a bit.

Does the car "squat" less on hard accelleration?

Mike

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Yep......

MRichmond said:
I had the Dinan system installed this week. Thanks to Chuck's suggestions and intel, I was able to convince my dealer to apply as 15% discount to both parts and labor, resulting in a total bill of $1,790.

Immediately, the car felt noticeably sharper. It was not until today that I was able to take it for an aggressive loop. I am on stock wheels with the original Continental tires at the end of their life span. (I resisted changing the tires to accurately assess the difference that the suspension system makes.) The next trip to VIR will provide the best measure of the improvements. For now, my impressions are the following:

(1) In sum, the system fulfills Dinan's mission precisely -- it makes an already excellent product noticeably better with no apparent compromise.

(4) Understeer is noticeably reduced and I was unable to induce understeer on the roads I drove today despite trying valiantly.

(5) The car feels even more precise and more nimble. It is even easier to place it exactly where the driver wants in a corner. It is even more unflappable in quick transitions from left to right turns and vice versa.

(6) The car has a monumental amount of grip and it is clear that its handling limits have been increased noticeably.

(7) Perhaps the best compliment is that it instills even more confidence by being more planted, more balanced, and more secure.

(8) Aesthetically, the lowering is somewhere between subtle and imperceptible. The first photo is the "Before" and the second is the "After." The fact that I need to identify which is which shows how slight the difference is. The springs may compress more over the next days or weeks, and I will post follow-up photos is there is a noticeable difference between now and then. If there is a disappointment, it is the lack of a more lowered look. However, I gladly accept the preservation of the stock ride quality as the trade-off.

For anyone wanting to improve the car's handling, this is unquestionably a worthwhile investment. The stock car's limits already are so high that the benefits will not make themselves apparent until the driver pushes the car, but the improvements are significant enough that one does not need to push near the limits to experience the improvement.
You're a man after my own heart. Handling, handling, handling. Transforming a 2 ton performance car into an extremely capable handling machine. And for many years, Dinan has consistently been able to achieve that without compromising ride quality. 'Just have to accept only modest lowering; so those owners who have to have the "slammed" look, find other alternatives but give up handling improvement. To each their own.....

My 2 cents.........

Dan :checkeredflag:

·
Registered
566 Posts
drm64099 said:
You're a man after my own heart. Handling, handling, handling. Transforming a 2 ton performance car into an extremely capable handling machine. Dan :checkeredflag:
+1 to that.:) Now I really cant wait to get this installed. So far the feedback has been GREAT!! Install date Dec 12th...tick tock tick tock.:cheers:

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Thats great, looks and handles great, ha ???cool...keep the 19" wheels..greg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats!! Mine was just done too and everything you said was just what I experienced and I'm definately loving it. Great place to spend the money.

I see on your car too that you almost can't tell that it's been lowered but it just looks better. Very cool.

Good deal you got on it too! About $600 less than I got it at Dinan.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Parker23 said:
Congrats!! Mine was just done too and everything you said was just what I experienced and I'm definately loving it. Great place to spend the money.

I see on your car too that you almost can't tell that it's been lowered but it just looks better. Very cool.

Good deal you got on it too! About $600 less than I got it at Dinan.
The deal I got is proof that establishing a positive, non-adversarial relationship with a reputable dealer can, literally, pay dividends. The dealer's policy was not to discount Dinan parts or labor. When I saw Chuck's (CSBM5) post about a dealer in North Carolina -- owned by the same entity as my dealer -- offer the discount, I asked for the same treatment. The sales manager, whom I have gotten to know well, got two "Nos" from upper management but didn't quit and obtained the approval for me, resulting in a savings of about $270, which won't buy even one new tire but I appreciate the effort.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the detailed summary Richmond. I'd read your post several weeks ago and finally decided to take the plunge. I had the stage 2 installed earlier this week with the Dinan exhaust and it's been nothin' but +++ performance !!!

A point of interest I'd appreciate if you or others members could weigh-in on, my dealer advised that the rear suspension was set to the Dinan recommended spec which leaves room to drop it even further if needed. Any trade-offs other then increased tire wear in doing so ?

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I'm not sure about tire wear but the Dinan springs already has the rear lower than the front. Why would you want to drop the rear even more? And if you do lower it, you'd have to switch to another brand of lowering springs.

Sorry if I'm not understanding your question...

·
Registered
463 Posts
very hard to tell the difference. But I am sure it feels great!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts

+1 to all above points. I think the benefits are many and the costs nill. Makes you wonder why BMW didn't setup the car like this from the start. Same with the diff! lovelove

·
Registered
503 Posts
Congrats! Great report.

No noticeable difference on pictures. I even zoomed in and barely noticed a difference. I did notice the emblem. what is that?

What position did you have the rear sway set at? Front, mid, or all the way back?

BTW - for those that are on the fence about this mod, perhaps because of the money or you just don't want to lower the car anymore or for whatever reason - getting the front roll kit and rear sway only is something i had done for less than $500!! I can say I have experienced all the same handling enhancements. It's awesome.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Congrats! Great report.

No noticeable difference on pictures. I even zoomed in and barely noticed a difference. I did notice the emblem. what is that?

What position did you have the rear sway set at? Front, mid, or all the way back?
I think the springs have settled some since those photos were taken. I recently was parked next to an M5 with a stock suspension and mine was noticeably lower.

The emblem is a scuderia shield that SchnelleM5 has made for his Minnesota run group, and was kind enough to send to me. They are magnetic and I have personally tested them up to 155 mph.

The Dinan alignment specs are attached. They specify the middle hole for the rear bar, and I expect that is where mine is set.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have mine in the center, Dinan directly sujested that. Said rear setting would be for the more aggressive feel and with the springs.

Since you track your car, it would be interesting to flip them from mid to rear settings to see the difference you would get. I believe the front setting is more like stock. It's very easy to do yourself if you can get your car lifted enough.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Anyone still getting the 'noise' from the rear of the car after the Stage II has been installed? Does the Dinan 'rubber bushing fix' reduce/eliminate the noise?
TIA,
Bish

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Could someone kindly remind me exactly what the stage 2 consists of?

Thanks

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=50><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Part #:
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Price: </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD></TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>D190-6012</TD></TR><TR><TD align=left>$872.50</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Labor Units:</TD><TD vAlign=top width=2> </TD><TD vAlign=top>10.5 Hours</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>List of Included Items:</TD><TD vAlign=top width=2> </TD><TD vAlign=top>Performance Spring Set; Matching Front and Rear Bump Stops; 19mm Adjustable Rear Antiroll Bar; Front Roll-Control System.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Stage 2 Suspension System offers even greater control over body roll and closer to neutral balance for reduced understeer and crisp turn-in. Dinan engineers have developed a unique Roll Control System for the front that retains the sophisticated stock tubular antiroll bar and bushing design, while effectively increasing the wheel rate. A matching adjustable 19mm rear antiroll bar completes the system. BMW was kind enough to provide camber control up front, so with the proper adjustment and the added negative camber that comes from the lower ride height, there’s plenty of grip, virtually eliminating understeer without the need for camber plates. The system allows you to put the M5’s formidable power to the ground more effectively for fast and predictable cornering while maintaining a comfortable ride and the EDC features.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts