BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the Dinan Stage 2 suspension system today. It will be installed on the 28th, and I will try to promptly post impressions (although the full effect likely will need to await a track day), and photos to show the extent of the lowering effect.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
OK......

Stein said:
I'm interested to see how much it lowers the car, good luck with it.
According to Dinan's website, the front drop is 7/8" and the rear 3/4".

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
MRichmond said:
I ordered the Dinan Stage 2 suspension system today. It will be installed on the 28th, and I will try to promptly post impressions (although the full effect likely will need to await a track day), and photos to show the extent of the lowering effect.
Did you get the rear adjustable sway bar, too??

EDIT: Never mind. 'Answer's right on their website. It's included.

·
Registered
421 Posts
What was the quote you got for installation? I am actually thinking about doing the step 1 since I just want the more aggressive lowered look.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The parts cost is $872.50. The installation will cost more. Dinan estimates 10.5 hours. My dealer's labor rate is $120/hour. I will try to negotiate a deal and will let you know if I get anywhere.

By the way, the purchase is smooth if using a Dinan dealer -- Dinan arranges the shipment to the dealer, arranges the install appointment at a time convenient with my schedule, and I simply pay the dealer when the installation is done.

drm is correct about the lowering dimensions. I expect it will make a visible difference, although not quite as much as the H&R and Hartge springs which, I recall, lower a little more. I was attracted by the integrated system that Dinan developed as well as by Dinan's reputation of barely compromising the stock ride comfort. We will see, but I am intrigued by the possibilities. I will hold off on getting the 20" wheels to properly gauge the effect on handling and ride of the Dinan parts.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
wow, that seems a lot. About $2200 bucks for the whole treat. I cant believe labor is so expensive. Cant wait to see the set-up though. Congrats. And good luck with the negotiation.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
MRichmond said:
The parts cost is $872.50. The installation will cost more. Dinan estimates 10.5 hours. My dealer's labor rate is $120/hour. I will try to negotiate a deal and will let you know if I get anywhere.

By the way, the purchase is smooth if using a Dinan dealer -- Dinan arranges the shipment to the dealer, arranges the install appointment at a time convenient with my schedule, and I simply pay the dealer when the installation is done.

drm is correct about the lowering dimensions. I expect it will make a visible difference, although not quite as much as the H&R and Hartge springs which, I recall, lower a little more. I was attracted by the integrated system that Dinan developed as well as by Dinan's reputation of barely compromising the stock ride comfort. We will see, but I am intrigued by the possibilities. I will hold off on getting the 20" wheels to properly gauge the effect on handling and ride of the Dinan parts.
That sounds like a great deal actually - I believe the package includes F&R rollbars? The height change will improve the look of the car stupendously, and I'll bet the handling is superb. I'll be interested to hear about how the ride quality is affected. I would guess less than with H&R.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I too have ordered the Dinan Stage 2 suspension setup. I ordered the parts about a week ago and am having them shipped to my local installer (not a Dinan dealer). When I ordered my set they said they already had 2 in production and I would get the third. Are the owners of the other sets on the board? I too will post some pics once installed. Can't wait!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wolverine said:
That sounds like a great deal actually - I believe the package includes F&R rollbars? The height change will improve the look of the car stupendously, and I'll bet the handling is superb. I'll be interested to hear about how the ride quality is affected. I would guess less than with H&R.
The package includes a rear adjustable antiroll bar and a "front roll control system." Dinan determined that it could not improve on the excellent stock front antiroll bar, so it designed axilliary parts to work in conjunction with, rather than replace, the stock bar. Also included are the springs and bump stops.

I have no complaint about the cost of the hardware, but the install is steeper than I would have liked. Still, I suspect that this $2,000 will make a bigger difference in the car's performance than most other similarly priced mods, with the possible exception of the 3.91 diff, which likely will be next on my list.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
MRichmond said:
I have no complaint about the cost of the hardware, but the install is steeper than I would have liked. Still, I suspect that this $2,000 will make a bigger difference in the car's performance than most other similarly priced mods, with the possible exception of the 3.91 diff, which likely will be next on my list.

I agree wholeheartedly. The parts sound like a great deal, but $120/hr for labor seems steep.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
The entire labour installation seems like an extremely aggressive price on their part. But in the end I am sure you will be pleased with the results. Dinan's items are always first rate! Please let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
MRichmond said:
The installation will cost more. Dinan estimates 10.5 hours. My dealer's labor rate is $120/hour. I will try to negotiate a deal and will let you know if I get anywhere.
$120/hr on the face of it seems pretty high. My dealer charges $109/hr. That works out to be a difference of only $115.50. However, if you use an independent shop, you might pay between $75/hr to $90/hr.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Roman,
There is an independent Dinan dealer across from BMW of Fairfax, would you like their number???
Also, I smell another meet coming on for this!

Robert cherrsagai

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rodman31 said:
Roman,
There is an independent Dinan dealer across from BMW of Fairfax, would you like their number???
Also, I smell another meet coming on for this!

Robert cherrsagai
Sure, thanks.

A meet will be in order after the parts go in. It should be enough to talk you out of all this Ferrari silliness.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Hey Roman!

The name is Fairfax Service Center 703 560 1700 and I have coupon from NCCBMWCCA for 5% discount on all Dinan parts and labor with them!

They have loaners with service appointment or we could hang out for a while if you use them.

Let me know if you want the coupon!

Robert

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
MRichmond said:

$120/hr seems awfully high, but I know the story there in N. Va area -- I lived in Manassas back in the mid-80's for a few years. Here in Raleigh, Leith BMW charges $90/hr for labor, but if you are a BMWCCA member, you get a 15% discount on that, so their rate is just $76.50/hr! They are a Dinan dealer, and I've had outstanding service there...great bunch of guys. It's hard to believe the install labor would be over $450 cheaper here in Raleigh. Have you asked if they have a BMWCCA member discount by chance?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts