BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read alot of threads, lots of opinions on different mods. Many are multiple mods. My question is straightforward. I've removed carbon filter, changed Air Filter, added RPI scoops. Looking at Dinan stage 1 softward upgrade for the next mod. Those that have done it, do you feel your got out of it what you expected and what did you notice. Lastly, would you recommend doing it? Thanks, your experience in these matters is greatly apprecited!

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
If you are expecting power gains, forget it.... The Dinan SW does 3 things....

1. Improve throttle response - probably by remapping the throttle sensor. The car feels like 1/2 way to P500S
  2. Rev limiter increase to 8400 - again no power gains but with the stock motor, you easily bounce off the rev limiter and upset the car's balance....just more headroom to upshift
  3. Speed Limit remover - I have never maxed out my car but I am glad that I could, theoretically :1:
Well worth the $1000.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i've got it aswell !!

i erased my AA software to get it , at 1st i really didnt think it did anything , but a couple weeks later i lined up with someone with the exacy same modds and i was faster !!

ever since then i love it !!

oh and also what t-bone said about the other stuff !!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I have heard from a reputable tuner who has looked at several of the available ecu upgrades from a software standpoint. This tuner is experienced in the Seimens DME's. This tuner said Dinan is one of two available that actually improve performance in a noticeable way from a software standpoint. Most out there simply advance ignition timing as far a mapping goes. We all know most of them raise the rev limiter and remove or raise top speed limiter, remove CEL's for cats, etc... But Dinan's actually improves fuel and air delivery along with timing modifications. Just what I have heard.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
More of your personal assessment between AA and Dinan ecu please, since you have tried them both.

i've got it aswell !!

i erased my AA software to get it , at 1st i really didnt think it did anything , but a couple weeks later i lined up with someone with the exacy same modds and i was faster !!

ever since then i love it !!

oh and also what t-bone said about the other stuff !!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have it... I took the char filters out myslef to try that mod... Good feel... I then got the SW. I believe it was good.. I could have swore, but not positive.... When i removed the char filters myself.. my gas milage went down or it seemed I was filling up more - then when I got the software it averaged back out... Not proven but I do like the software... It was a nice addition.. Not a mass improvement, but nice...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the feedback. Made my mind up to go ahead and do it. With the theory of mileage going down due to the filters out and "improving" it with the SW, I can tell my wife that it improves gas mileage! Guy logic at work.....:cheers:

Reactions: M5 Junky

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
More of your personal assessment between AA and Dinan ecu please, since you have tried them both.

kenny i don't have anything bad to say about the aa software i actually like it !! car was def peppier !! the time i noticed it best was when the deaaler reprogrammed the car and it erased !! car was noticeably slower right out of the dealership !!

did dinan software and since then i've been fast !!

raced a couple guys with headers (who will remain nameless) and i was right there with them ...neck and neck thats why i sold the headers , didnt seem worth the $$$$...

neil

·
Registered
836 Posts
glad you sold 'em, I'm loving them :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
glad you sold 'em, I'm loving them :biggrin:
good im glad !! just sorry about the misahp on the way to get them installled !! :eek:oohhh:

lately 've been contemplating them once again as my modds have been really slow lately !! ouich

there was a beenbag selling a set the other day he sent out pm's to everyone and i was very tempted , but i restrained myself !!

but i dont know !! :confused: we'll see what happens in the spring !!

neil

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
good im glad !! just sorry about the misahp on the way to get them installled !! :eek:oohhh:

lately 've been contemplating them once again as my modds have been really slow lately !! ouich

there was a beenbag selling a set the other day he sent out pm's to everyone and i was very tempted , but i restrained myself !!

but i dont know !! :confused: we'll see what happens in the spring !!

neil

Time for a new set of chrome dubs baby..... Live the dream

·
Registered
513 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. Made my mind up to go ahead and do it. With the theory of mileage going down due to the filters out and "improving" it with the SW, I can tell my wife that it improves gas mileage! Guy logic at work.....:cheers:

You always have to be thinking when your married.... Especially if you have the beast parked in the garage and you know you can drop another 20 plus grand out there to make the beast better - hiding those figures can be fun, but hard to do....... :biggrinbounce: "but honey - tire rotations are $5,000 and must occur every month....." cherrsagai

·
Registered
836 Posts
I got my beast through my practice or I'd never get this much mod $$$ past my wife.

Reactions: M5 Junky and chakka

·
Registered
637 Posts
...This tuner said Dinan is one of two available that actually improve performance in a noticeable way from a software standpoint....quote]

:eek:oohhh: Who's the others beside Dinan?
Kenny, you have their software in your car right now. This is info from Darren_Dallas that he has learned in his engine conversion quest.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
raced a couple guys with headers (who will remain nameless) and i was right there with them ...neck and neck thats why i sold the headers , didnt seem worth the $$$$...
Oh Neil. Don't make me post that video again:hihi:

Your buddy,

Nameless:byee55amg

·
Registered
513 Posts
Lol--tire rotations on an M5! I hope she doesn't notice the size difference between the front and rear tires!!!:nono:

Its sad.... but its also good for me - mine couldn't even tell the difference in tire sizes even by starring right at them.. :biggrinbounce: I am somewhat fortunate there.. Now where its a pain is when a light comes on in her car... oh boy....ouich

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Glad to hear that :woowoo::woowoo::jump::viking2:

Did Darren know that "they" will come out with stroker, too:eek:

Yes. I'm well aware of their claim to come out with a stroker. Similar to their claim to come with software for the E60 last year around the time of the airstrip show ///Wall_ST and I held last September (and it only came out now in stealth fashion with no public announcment on their web site). Similar to the performance cams project they were working on for the E60 M5. Similar to their supercharger setup they were working on for the E60 M5. Both of which have stopped.

Need I go on?

Familiar with these guys...very. I've spoken with Hans in Norway more times than he probably cares to admit :)

I'm taking this all with a grain of salt for now. ESS usually does decent development work from what I can tell, but they are as slow as Christmas (technically slower). There's no way I'm going to hold my breath and wait for them, only to find out they have ditched the program due to "supply and demand" issues and will only focus on a stroker for the M3 (which could very likely happen).

Regards,

Darren

1 - 20 of 36 Posts