BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed brand new dinan springs and koni yellows on the front last weekend, I also replace all of the consumables. after the install the front sits a little bit lower then stock.

tonight I replace the drivers side rear and it sits just as high as before. I installed the purch on the middle setting of the konis just as I have read in all the threads on the sinan/koni setup. I replaced all of the consumables in the rear as well. I made sure the spring sat in each purch pad correctly before tightening everything down. I am going to do the passenger side tomorrow but before I did I wanted ro make sure I didnt make a mistake.

do I need to drive it to settle it down? is it because the passenger side is not done yet? I just dont want to install the passenger side amd then have to redo both sides later.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have read of others having the same experience, but with coilovers that eventually settled. Not sure about with the Dinan and konis . . . However, I'm glad youre doing it as I have a set in the garage waiting for your report! ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you installed it right, and you probably did, you'll need to pull it and drop to the bottom perch. I'd measure the fender at its highest point to the middle of the center cap. Then measure the difference between the bottom spring perch setting and middle setting on the new Koni rear that you haven't installed yet. If that difference matches the front fender to centercap distance then you'll know for sure. They're not gonna settle very much, but you can throw it around some corners to be sure.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I say finish the job then drive it for a couple of weeks before you change anything. Right now you haven't loaded the suspension. I took measurements from all 4 wheels for a while after installing my coilovers. It took a while to get some solid average numbers that I could use to adjust the height.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Oh and I just had this same dilemma with my wagon (Koni FSDs with H&R springs). It looked all kinds of high until I drove it a few miles and now I'm thinking I could go up a notch on the Konis

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
With the Dinan springs/Konis, you should end up with essentially identical center of wheel to fender lip measurements all around. This results in a slight downward rake toward the front. The Dinan spec is 14" +/- 0.25" all around. Do you have their install instructions? I have them somewhere, so I can dig them out if needed as I doubt they changed in 8 years. They also note a rake measurement to do after install too.

Reactions: userX and lugnuts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Originally I set mine on middle perch, as soon as the car came down on the ground I felt it looked a bit high. Dropped it to lowest perch and after driving for a few days I came to the conclusion it was too low as it settled. Now Im back in the middle and its perfect ,pretty even all around.

You can easily move the perch height on the rears without taking it all apart. Just put it up in the air, disconnect lower strut bolt, and then use a set of lock or snap ring pliers to release the clip and move to desired position. You can play with the settings as you wish without doing a ton of work.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok I will finish it today and drive it a bit, sounds like its not too hard to change the purch hight so I will see what happens.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
You peaked my curiosity, so I pulled out the M5 folder and found my measurements from the install which was in Feb 2006. Note that my car has Ground Control camber plates up front, and even though GC claims they don't, they add to the stack height and raise the ride height up front between 1/4" and 3/8".

Right after Dinan springs/Konis were installed my front measured 14 1/8" and rear 13 7/8". Without the GC plates in the front, these values would have been essentially identical at 13 7/8". I just went out to the garage and measured the car now (64k miles now, 28k miles back in 2006 at install time). Front is 13 3/4" and rear is 13 3/8". Having not done any follow-up measurement shortly after the install, I can't say how the settling occurred, but I would guess it was in a short time period just after the install as spring pads settle in, etc. Note these measurements were done from the centerline of the wheel straight up to the fender lip.

Regards,
Chuck

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had the Dinan Stage 3 Suspension installed in 2007 (fixed camber plates). Today it measured 13 3/4" front and 13 3/8 rear"! Car had low 40K at install and now has 68K.

Regards... Irish M5...

You peaked my curiosity, so I pulled out the M5 folder and found my measurements from the install which was in Feb 2006. Note that my car has Ground Control camber plates up front, and even though GC claims they don't, they add to the stack height and raise the ride height up front between 1/4" and 3/8".

Right after Dinan springs/Konis were installed my front measured 14 1/8" and rear 13 7/8". Without the GC plates in the front, these values would have been essentially identical at 13 7/8". I just went out to the garage and measured the car now (64k miles now, 28k miles back in 2006 at install time). Front is 13 3/4" and rear is 13 3/8". Having not done any follow-up measurement shortly after the install, I can't say how the settling occurred, but I would guess it was in a short time period just after the install as spring pads settle in, etc. Note these measurements were done from the centerline of the wheel straight up to the fender lip.

Regards,
Chuck

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so this morning I installed the pasenger side and took it for a drive. it settled down some but overall it srill looks high but maybe its because of my old worn out shocks were not at original hight. either way the ride is great and they work well with my monoballs (both control arms) and dinan sway bar, handling is so much sharper.

Im going to wait a few weeks and then measure it but Iam satisfied with the performance which is what I was after.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts