BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting my 1st Dinan mod. My car is stock aside for the Tubi cat back exhaust. The service rep advised the Dinan 1 software is useless and only removes top end governor. He suggested that I go straight to stage 2 software. I was under the impression that you needed to the CAI to get the stage 2.

Bascially can I get stage 2 software with a stock M5? Will it cause any problems? Are there any gains?

Regards,

Marion

·
10,455 Posts
dinan is pretty particular in that each stage software goes with a particular mod. if you're set on dinan, i think you're right in that stage 2 software goes with their CAI, which i'd assume would not be optimal if you did not have the cai.
Maybe stage 2 is their exhaust software? That might make sense.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Mvious said:
I am interested in getting my 1st Dinan mod. My car is stock aside for the Tubi cat back exhaust. The service rep advised the Dinan 1 software is useless and only removes top end governor. He suggested that I go straight to stage 2 software. I was under the impression that you needed to the CAI to get the stage 2.

Bascially can I get stage 2 software with a stock M5? Will it cause any problems? Are there any gains?

Regards,

Marion

Acutally I was unaware there was Dinan stage 1 software. I thought they had Stage 2 and 5. The Dinan stage 2 software, in addition to the top speed limiter also increases the redline. Other than that I dont think there are any real tuning masterpieces to speak of. I currently have the stage 2 software and it is about to be replaced by the DA Shadowman/Powerchip software. With the Dinan CAI in place and stage 2, I did notice a sharper/quicker throttle response with the Dinan but I think there is a lot more tuning avaialble.

My .02

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Mvious said:

Regards,

Marion
I had Dinan stage 2 software on my car when I acquired it. It had CAI and IATS. No other engine mods. I assume it removed the speed limiter, :haha: and it did in fact raise the redline to 7300. I replaced with Powerchip and there was a noticable improvement in part throttle response and well as feel at WOT. I did not do any dyno measurements, so I cannot say there were any horsepower gains, but the car sure felt better throughout the rev range. I now know that the speed limiter is gone.. :7: :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So basically you felt a better gains with the powerchip aposed to the Dinan Stage 2.

My concern is that the car is stock and jumping from stage 1 to stage 2.

Regards,

Marion
gsfent said:
I had Dinan stage 2 software on my car when I acquired it. It had CAI and IATS. No other engine mods. I assume it removed the speed limiter, :haha: and it did in fact raise the redline to 7300. I replaced with Powerchip and there was a noticable improvement in part throttle response and well as feel at WOT. I did not do any dyno measurements, so I cannot say there were any horsepower gains, but the car sure felt better throughout the rev range. I now know that the speed limiter is gone.. :7: :M5launch:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've got the Dinan Stage 5 software with the Dinan CAI and the Dinan exhaust (all mods done at the same time). Like the above posts state, from stock there was a significant improvement in throttle response and the car seems to rev quicker and more freely if that makes sense. I have no experience with the powerchip software, but I can say that I have been happy with my Dinan mods.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Mvious said:
So basically you felt a better gains with the powerchip aposed to the Dinan Stage 2.

My concern is that the car is stock and jumping from stage 1 to stage 2.

Regards,

Marion
Stock is not far from only a CAI upgrade. I think Powerchip does a better job of maximizing the fuel and timing curves. The car had better part throttle response and the noticeable cold stumble (OK, what passes for cold in south Florida :biggrin: ) was 95% eliminated. The car felt as if the sport button was pressed compared to Dinan software and hitting sport gave a nice kick in the butt. I did not do any measurements, but subjectively car was much smoother, throttle response better ( I have a highly calibrated buttometer I carry with me everywhere I go! :1: ). I tended to run without sport because I felt sport was a little too abrupt. After doing headers and redoing ECU, I now find sport is perfect.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Vossen10, STAGE 5 ????????????

Im surprised that the Dinan dealer downloaded the stage 5 software into your ride with only the cold air intake & exhaust on your car.
Dinan's protocol is that unless, you have the necessary hardware your not allowed to get whatever/whichever software you decide.
Example, Im not allowed to do these typres of software downloads, simply because the customer wants it, having requested the particular stage software. This will cause problems with the operation of the motor.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Re: Vossen10, STAGE 5 ????????????

FAST 5 said:
Im surprised that the Dinan dealer downloaded the stage 5 software into your ride with only the cold air intake & exhaust on your car.
Dinan's protocol is that unless, you have the necessary hardware your not allowed to get whatever/whichever software you decide.
Example, Im not allowed to do these typres of software downloads, simply because the customer wants it, having requested the particular stage software. This will cause problems with the operation of the motor.
Im pretty sure Ive got stage 5 software... intake system (CAI + MAFS), full exhaust system (headers + the free flow exhaust)... I could be wrong though, but Im fairly sure with the headers I had to have the stage 5 software. I think if you only have the exhaust (minus headers) and CAI its only stage 2. But in all honesty I could be mistaken. Either way, I have enjoyed the mods.

If Im not mistaken the Dinan software is as follows:
Stage 2: CAI and exhaust
Stage 3: supercharged
Stage 5: need MAFS, CAI, exhaust, headers
Stage 6: full s2 M5 + cams

In any case, I think we have gone astray from Mvious' original question of powerchip vs dinan on a stock m5.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts

FAST 5 said:
Would you get Stage 5 with headers, or do you need MAFS and TB's also to qualify?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Vossen10 said:
In any case, I think we have gone astray from Mvious' original question of powerchip vs dinan on a stock m5.
I just wanted to make sure that the service advisor was correct that I could use Stage 2 on a stock M5.

I don't wanna hurt my Beast

Regards,

Mvious

·
Registered
487 Posts

Mvious said:
I just wanted to make sure that the service advisor was correct that I could use Stage 2 on a stock M5.

I don't wanna hurt my Beast

Regards,

Mvious
Your options are Stage 2 or Stage 5. I dont think there is anything else.... Could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
the software is useless.

Save the money adn do somthing worth while like headers.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Guys,

Dinan provides Stage 1 through 6 for the M5. Each stage requires changes to the intake/exhaust. I have been slowly building my car to stage 5 status. Currently I am at stage 4 as you see in my signature. The stage 5 with throttle bodies and velocity stacks are going in next week. I am looking forward to the further increases in low end torque and increased hp right up to redline. I started with:

Stage 1 which is simply software that removes the 155 mph limit and increases throttle response.

Stage 2 is another software upgrade and requires the CAI. Exhaust is optional.

I then went right to stage 3 which inlcudes the CAI, MAFS, and free flow exhaust. I noticed further improvement in throttle response and the motor pulled a little harder in the higher rpms.

Stage 4 adds the headers which are $10K inlcuding installation. They perform as advertised. More low end grunt and pulls much harder right to redline.

Somewhere in between stage 1 and stage 4 I also had the 3.45 differential installed which does make a big difference during acceleration. I am running 3K rpms at 80 mph if that makes sense.

Stage 5 as mentioned above requires the throttle bodies and velocity stacks which are sitting at my shop waiting to go in. Can't wait to drive her with added power.

Stage 6 goes with the Schrick Cams, but is very expsensive for the install and only adds 11 hp to the top end of the hp curve. Not a big deal for me.

Hope this helps and will be posting my review of the stage 5 once I have had some play time with the beast!

·
Registered
487 Posts
mikeoski said:
Guys,

Dinan provides Stage 1 through 6 for the M5. Each stage requires changes to the intake/exhaust. I have been slowly building my car to stage 5 status. Currently I am at stage 4 as you see in my signature. The stage 5 with throttle bodies and velocity stacks are going in next week. I am looking forward to the further increases in low end torque and increased hp right up to redline. I started with:

Stage 1 which is simply software that removes the 155 mph limit and increases throttle response.

I then went right to stage 3 which inlcudes the CAI, MAFS, and free flow exhaust. I noticed further improvement in throttle response and the motor pulled a little harder in the higher rpms.

Stage 4 adds the headers which are $10K inlcuding installation. They perform as advertised. More low end grunt and pulls much harder right to redline.

Somewhere in between stage 1 and stage 4 I also had the 3.45 differential installed which does make a big difference during acceleration. I am running 3K rpms at 80 mph if that makes sense.

Stage 5 as mentioned above requires the throttle bodies and velocity stacks which are sitting at my shop waiting to go in. Can't wait to drive her with added power.

Stage 6 goes with the Schrick Cams, but is very expsensive for the install and only adds 11 hp to the top end of the hp curve. Not a big deal for me.

Hope this helps and will be posting my review of the stage 5 once I have had some play time with the beast!
Yep, you are correct. I do see now where they have some other stage software. However, it looks like the Stage 2 and 5 are most prevalent based on the S packages they have put together. All in all I think there is more tuning that can be done. I think it is difficult to make a one size fits all programming option even though they have defined it somewhat based on the mods that are added. Being that I have Dinan currently, I will have more of a leg to stand on in my opinion in a few days when i get my car back with the DA/Powerchip software on board.

Nonethelss, good information Mikeoski.

·
10,455 Posts
Have you dynoed at any of the stages? I'd be curious what the throttle bodies add. (i know you can see dinan's claims on their site, but i want real world data).

mikeoski said:
Guys,

B

·
0 Posts
I have the stage 5 software on my Dinan S2 M5, and find that it drives great. No complaints whatsoever about performance.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Bugeater said:
Can anyone actually explain what EXACTLY each stage does, not just what you need on the car hardware-wise in order to get "authorization" for download?

10 THOUSAND DOLLARS to put headers on? For real?
10,000 is 2g for labor and 8g for the headers.

Each stage brings in more air and breaths out more exhaust, the software then acounts for this.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I got my first dinan mod today the stage 1 engine software and here's my feelings on it. Dinan's website was adamant that the difference after having stage 1 would not be noticable. Now maybe its just me but I did feel a difference more than slight in trottle response...it felt more crisp. Maybe in my excitement my mind actually got ahead of my beast...but it was real I tell you!

Regards,

Marion

p.s. now to change sig.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts