BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering doing the dinan upgrade. Has anyone done it yet? what package did you do? any diff? worth the money?
Please advice thanks advance

·
Registered
756 Posts
I am considering doing the dinan upgrade. Has anyone done it yet? what package did you do? any diff? worth the money?
Please advice thanks advance
Have you taken a look at the BurgerTuning.com juicebox? It's a piggyback device that costs a fraction of the price of the Dinan. I have it--it's such a noticeable difference in power. I've also had 4 Dinan products across 5-years and they certainly do work... but they cost 1000s and provide no more, or subjectively-speaking less, seat-of-the-pants feeling than the Burger juicebox. The numbers don't lie either--my M5 Dyno'd at 613 wheel-horsepower and 605 ft Ibs of torque with the juicebox. That's around 700hp at the crank if you use traditional drivetrain-loss percentages.

I believe I paid around $450 (don't recall the specifics) and I installed it myself in about an hour. I'd recommend it.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
There are certainly competitors to Dinan that provide more power at a fraction of the price. But none have the Dinan warranty. Given how expensive these cars are, to me, that warranty makes Dinan worth it. Would hate to save a few thousand bucks on a tune only to have an engine or drivetrain failure costing tens of thousands of dollars, have BMW walk away from the damage claiming the tune did it and then have no real warranty to pay for the repairs.

·
Registered
756 Posts
There are certainly competitors to Dinan that provide more power at a fraction of the price. But none have the Dinan warranty. Given how expensive these cars are, to me, that warranty makes Dinan worth it. Would hate to save a few thousand bucks on a tune only to have an engine or drivetrain failure costing tens of thousands of dollars, have BMW walk away from the damage claiming the tune did it and then have no real warranty to pay for the repairs.
Nod, I understand that perspective... and I shared it for a while on my prior three 550s (an E60 with a Dinan tune and two F10 550Xis with Dinan stage 2 and 3 respectively). Not once did I use the warranty in 5-years; BMW took ownership of whatever minor issues I might have taken the car in for and never pointed a finger at Dinan. Of course, you could argue the peace of mind aspect, too, and that's a personal choice. Completing this thought track for me, though, is the fact that if I have any concerns over warranty and need to take the car in, I'll spend the 30 minutes necessary to remove the piggyback. Even with all the software I've got to read the car's faults, re-code it, etc., I can find no lingering data that would indicate it's been tweaked and both my SA and his lead tech tell me they see no lingering artifacts either (this is a topic of some contention, though).

Personal choices aside, the primary data-point that caused me to change my mind was this: if you're adding an aftermarket tune to a car, you want more useable power--both tunes provide that. So let's compare:
* Dinan signature or power package: 680 peak (crank) horsepower / 649 peak torque == $10,255.50 or $8,772 respectively
* BurgerTuning N63 / S63 Juicebox: 613 peak (wheel) horsepower / 603 peak torque
- accounting for 15% drivetrain loss: 720 peak (crank) horsepower / 710 peak torque == $449.00

I've had this same box for over a year. It's been on my last 550 and my new F10 M5. I removed it directly from my 550 and re-installed it in the M5. I reconfigured the boost and told it it was hooked up to an M5 but paid no more money.

Finally, you can choose to leave the Juicebox alone and let it do its thing or you can tinker by adding octane-boosters and upping the overboost--I originally fell in the former category but now I've got it, I tinker quite a bit and enjoy every minute of it.

Based on first-hand experience, I expect the Dinan box to work and work well but I don't expect it to outperform what I've already got that was, again a fraction of the price.

A personal gripe while we're on this topic: it really irritates me that Dinan use the BMW quoted HP and torque numbers to artificially inflate the gains provided by their tunes. The M5 w/CP has a heck of a lot more power than BMW claim--see the "stock" numbers from the dyno-runs I posted above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts